• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! We'll announce the winners for our Master Ball raffle and distribute your hard-earned arcade tokens soon.

Tell me about your ACNH scam stories

Typhloquill

Lucky Lucky
Bells
Everyone I personally have met here has been super nice and trustworthy, so luckily, I have not been scammed yet. However, I know plenty of people who have had to deal with some bad eggs. Tell be about your stories, whether it be an experience here or on another website.

I didn't get scammed but I was pretty peeved with someone for their lack of communication
Long story short, I waited almost 2 days to trade with someone and I saw them online so I sent them a second PM asking if they're still interested, they responded saying yes and they'll get a dodo code, didn't respond for 30 mins... I told them I don't want to wait any longer and they responded saying "Sorry, I was busy and my friend gave me that item already"

Like... Don't tell me you're still interested in trading if you already have the item and don't leave a person hanging for 2 days!

I went today to someone that sold me a rusty Part for 200k
I layed 2 bags with Money on the ground, the moment i picked up the Item another person Ran to the bells, picked them up and instantly She left the Island.

I made a clip From the situation, i was so shocked.

He didn't know exactly who she was Here on the forum because they joined random with his dodo code.

I havent been scammed thankfully but I have tried to buy villagers off of people only for them to dm me saying “sorry better offer” and never contact me again lol
This usually happened a lot back when I was trying to get Raymond or ankha

I'm really glad that flowers can't be dug up unless you're best friends. I used to have that issue in new leaf, people stealing/destroying fields of flowers...

I tried to start off New Horizons on a better note, so I've been giving people gifts every time they come to my town, like some hybrids or materials. I'm finding co-op to be far less stressful than previous games. I might actually host my town for a public session, which is something I've never considered in any other game!

I haven't been scammed before but there was one strange encounter where I was selling NMTs to someone. I had the NMTs on the ground outside the airport and the other person ran up to me, looked in their inventory, and just turned around and left! They didn't even pick up the NMTs and though I sent messages asking if everything was all right, they never responded.

Also, I believe if you are in the midst of being scammed and the scammer hasn't left your island yet, you should be able to revert your save to before you invited the scammer by pressing the home button and quitting the game using the X button. This cuts off the connection and you should have all of your items back.

Worst I've had is just lack of communication when doing trades, most people normally just forget and that's fine since they apologize but I've had to have my gates open for like 30min for people that just flake and don't follow up :/

I havent been scammed thankfully but I have tried to buy villagers off of people only for them to dm me saying “sorry better offer” and never contact me again lol
This usually happened a lot back when I was trying to get Raymond or ankha
Man, that's really disrespectful. If you accept an offer, you really should commit to it. Hope your searches go better down the line.

I havent been scammed here, i feel like i can trust anyone here with at least one review. I have noticed though that some people really feel on edge when it comes to trading things..

Haven’t been scammed yet in ACNH, have had a few fake sob stories given to me/beggars who wouldn’t leave my island, though

Haven't been scammed, but I do have a story.

I was looking for Ankha on a subreddit and one person started a whole selling spiel after PMing me they'd sell her to me for 70 NMT + 20M bells while "assuring her quality", and a "premium package" to move her out in 1 hr. They were really insistent and according to them they did 40+ trades in 2 days with 0 posting history, on a very new account. After gently refusing them, they started telling me how they were basically the most trustworthy source to get her from, and that I could buy rare items from them, or craft items too cause their villager is a "talented little fellow". :rolleyes:

Thankfully there was another kind user who offered to sell her to me for a much more reasonable offer, but I ended up getting Ankha in my campsite. 😊

I've had no problems. To stop players from arriving during a trade close the gates after the trader arrives.

In Pokemon Sword and Shield the local online didn't work when I wanted to trade with my other switch. When I used online another player used the same code. It happened 2 time in 20 trades.

Not a scam but I had someone literally wander off (and stole my weeds!) that I fenced off my airport for 2 weeks. That made me really upset for a while. It's not even about the weeds, it's just people wandering off your sight is just scary. I've had someone steal my hybrids in New Leaf that I hacked the display flowers (ones that are hybrids but breeds only normal flowers) to prevent my heartaches with losing flowers I worked hard on again. I don't care if people insult me for that but I'd rather punish griefers/thieves with hybrids that are fake. They deserve it.

I've only really been scammed once legitimately that I know of.
It occurred on reddit. At the time, my cat passed away and he was similar to Punchy (black and white cat). I was heavy into New Leaf at the time and was running free cycling. I had Maple whom was fairly popular and so I decided to trade her for Punchy to a user on Reddit. We agreed they'd come to my town, invite Maple. Then I'd go to theirs and get Punchy.
They come over and get Maple - no lag or connection issue. Then they go offline. They never responded so I'm pretty sure they never had Punchy all along. I went through the page's steps to report them and they/their FC were added to their blacklist. So, it got handled appropriately per the mods. It was disappointing, especially being that they were told the reason I was looking for Punchy, but it's just part of the risk you take I guess trading with strangers.
I got Punchy later on (have his amiibo card now) so it is what it is.

The only other random incident was during a giveaway I was doing. Some of my hybrids went missing but I honestly don't know if they were taken or someone just accidentally ran through them. At the time I just asked people to be cautious running because they were missing and several users were actually too kind and tried to bring me hybrids to make up for it.

The latter story I just like sharing because it highlights overall the goodness that comes out of the community and I truly have 100x more good experiences than bad ones.
Post automatically merged:

Not a scam but I had someone literally wander off (and stole my weeds!) that I fenced off my airport for 2 weeks. That made me really upset for a while. It's not even about the weeds, it's just people wandering off your sight is just scary. I've had someone steal my hybrids in New Leaf that I hacked the display flowers (ones that are hybrids but breeds only normal flowers) to prevent my heartaches with losing flowers I worked hard on again. I don't care if people insult me for that but I'd rather punish griefers/thieves with hybrids that are fake. They deserve it.

Yea I had that happen today. The person asked if they could explore my town as I was doing several trades and they were there to pickup...but before I could even finish typing that Im busy with the trades so no they just took off and i had to quickly end session.
I like to think they just don't know better or are new to the game. XD But man is it a heart attack when someone just bolts off in a random direction. I think I'll put fencing up next time to block in the area.

I haven't been scammed, thank god. I want to go into other islands to avoid getting scammed myself because I'm in control of my actions and therefore trust myself, and what is the host gonna do, run into the airport and disconnect?

I DID have a bad experience with visitors a couple of days ago though, I posted a Dodocode in the public because Kicks was in town and one of my villagers was giving a DIY recipe. I asked people to ask before plucking flowers and harvesting fruit. While people were kind enough to ask me permission first, I had people pick flowers from my for sale field, the display only flowers in front of the plaza, and the ones I was breeding. All without asking without permission. I was ANGRY. And now it's a reason why I'm extremely reluctant to open my island again as much I want to.

Yea I had that happen today. The person asked if they could explore my town as I was doing several trades and they were there to pickup...but before I could even finish typing that Im busy with the trades so no they just took off and i had to quickly end session.
I like to think they just don't know better or are new to the game. XD But man is it a heart attack when someone just bolts off in a random direction. I think I'll put fencing up next time to block in the area.

Yeah! You should fence off areas! I actually fence my shopping area so they won't wander off even if they get out of my sight. All they have access to is just Timmy and Tommy. town square (in case merchant NPCs stop by) and Able Sisters. Gives the players who visit me some kind of freedom and a peace of mind for my end.

I haven't had any issues yet (largely because I just started, so there's literally nothing to steal besides a couple of apples).

I ran a shop in ACNL for quite awhile, and I thankfully never had any major issues either.

Got my first scam today.

Got Audie and was trying to trade her for Raymond (for my friend!) and Marty blocked my friend and I after taking Audie. :s

This is why I hate Discord. No one I’ve met through there has been nice or trustworthy.

Last edited:
Back