• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Tell me about your ACNH scam stories

I’ve only had two negative experiences so far and neither were on tbt.

The first was on reddit where I bought an item with nmts that was supposed to be a specific color only to find out it wasn’t after the person left.

The second was on nookazon. I gave away a moms cake for free. All my items are free and I do it because I don’t need money and just to be nice. Not even a whole minute after the trade the person immediately listed it for sale for nmts. So I got used basically.

The first was on reddit where I bought an item with nmts that was supposed to be a specific color only to find out it wasn’t after the person left.

The second was on nookazon. I gave away a moms cake for free. All my items are free and I do it because I don’t need money and just to be nice. Not even a whole minute after the trade the person immediately listed it for sale for nmts. So I got used basically.
That totally sucks.

You try to do something nice for people and get treated like that. :(

See what I dont understand is that they had a 100% rating from multiple people :/ just confuses me in a way

I looked at her feedback and it seems she has completed multiple trades for in-demand villagers, giving them to the person who wanted them. It's possible she's just been really busy with family stuff and can't play right now but feels worried about you getting mad if she tells you that.

As long as she doesnt actually *play* the next day in-game, you can still get your villager. She just has to keep the date the same (TT the clock back). I hope after the long weekend you'll get this sorted out.

I looked at her feedback and it seems she has completed multiple trades for in-demand villagers, giving them to the person who wanted them. It's possible she's just been really busy with family stuff and can't play right now but feels worried about you getting mad if she tells you that.

As long as she doesnt actually *play* the next day in-game, you can still get your villager. She just has to keep the date the same (TT the clock back). I hope after the long weekend you'll get this sorted out.
Yeah I hope so, I did message asking if everything was okay but she hasnt been online for a few days but honestly I'm hoping that we can get this all sorted and mostly that she's okay. I dont want it to seem like I was being too pushy or anything like that :(

I've had a few experiences in New Leaf with people leaving false negative ratings just to try and get better deals- luckily I got those turned over.
In New Horizons I have had people make offers on some of my DIYS so I held them for over 2 weeks. Unfortunately I got ghosted repeatedly despite being online at the same time and messaging people. So now I just keep all my spare DIYs and offer them to visitors rather than selling them to save me the headache and hassle.

not exactly a scam more so a mistake but it felt like one at first and was pretty funny when it happened

so i was buying a valiant statue from someone for x bells (i forgot the number) and we agreed on that amount. just a detail you need to know for context but i alr have a valiant statue on my island near my entrance for decor!

so they come over and i drop x bells down. they pick it up and thank me and its all cool until i wait for a minute and... they don't drop anything? i ask them where the statue is... and i notice that they're running around my statue. i ask them multiple times where the statue was or if they were going to drop it anytime soon and they just didn't respond?

i ended up dcing after a bit because i didn't know if it was a scam and it turns out they thought i was selling the statue... which kind of confused me considering that they took the amount needed to pay for it? why would i pay them the exact amount for the statue then give them the statue when they haven't dropped payment? were they planning on giving back the bells i gave them for the statue? anyway, it wasn't really a scam but caught me super off guard! wish they just responded so we could talk out what was going on before i thought they were just scamming me.

I haven't been scammed and actually use discord and nookazon quite a lot haha, but I did have a small scare!

I did a "big trade" with a user on discord who had two genuine gallant statues, I wanted two, one for my museum and one for decoration. I traded for 150 NMT.

They arrive on my island and I drop the 150 NMT and they drop a gallant statue and a valiant statue...then he said "bye!" and I was like "wait? I thought it was two gallant?" *as I was internally panicking* and they actually made the mistake and dropped the correct one LOL - I'm fairly lucky I haven't been scammed in artwork...since you can't tell if it's real or not until you display it once they left/are in the airport ☠, not to mention the art trade channel will not do anything if you get a fake even when you're told it was real.

I think with discord since it's so easy to scam, I try not to do big risk trades, I only trade 5 NMT or less for diys, to see villagers crafting, etc. and for specific items I use nookazon with those who added their listing minutes ago so I can catch them online. Seeing positive reviews for nookazon also helps too!

I've only been scammed once and that was through reddit. This was in New Leaf. Person that I bought hybrids from were all duped. The other week, I had an issue hosting an island on turnip.exchange

I haven't been scammed luckily but I've seen other people's stories and take extra precautions. If I've got something I don't want anyone to interfere with, I fence it off. Eg. if a villager is in boxes I will fence off their house when inviting someone who isn't the buyer. I also just try and keep alert so that the moment someone starts misbehaving I can force quit without saving.

I'm so glad that trampling/plucking flowers doesn't destroy them anymore, though! I remember in CF someone destroyed my blue roses by accident - the person apologised but it was annoying.

Worst I've had is just lack of communication when doing trades, most people normally just forget and that's fine since they apologize but I've had to have my gates open for like 30min for people that just flake and don't follow up :/
Oh god yeah this is annoying.
I mean I get it because if I've had 4 requests for a trade in a row I'll try and do em one at a time. If the first person takes ages to respond that leaves everyone else waiting around for longer, so I don't blame them for going.

But heck if it isn't annoying!

I think I have been scammed on Nookazon, though I still got the villager I wanted through the same deal (Peanut). I offered I think around 15-20 NMTs on Peanut auctions, but my offers never got accepted. Last week, one person did accept my offer, but I think they deleted the original advertisement, because I couldn't see it anymore. They contacted me on Discord and said something like "Hey, you offered 25 NMT, right?" Now, I know for sure I didn't offer that many NMTs because that was my whole stash... But by that point the original auction was gone from the site, I was fed up with the time all this has taken me, so I paid the NMTs and got Peanut. To this day, I can't review the seller on Nookazon or find any trace of the auction ever having existed. So I think they just tried to get more NMTs out of me... But I went along with it, so it's my own fault as well. I am never going on Nookazon ever again though.

I will stay here for trading, though I think I have also paid way too much for a low tier villager on this forum. The seller was selling her for some IGB (around 50,000).. it was my first trade online ever, so I told them that. They said "O, we can also do around 100-120 tbt", so I wouldn't lose much in game money - it was much for me at the time. Later, after I got the villager, I discovered TBT is worth quite a lot, and higher tier villagers go for that amount sometimes. Now I am left thinking they took advantage of a newbie... But again, I probably should have looked up conversion rates. I trust people way too easily, I think. It still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, though everyone else on here has been very kind and generous :)

I will never say never again that I am quite new at this to strangers though. At least not in other sites, since I have done so here already.

it’s sad that there’s 51 comments on this - there should be zero ;u; i’ve thankfully never been scammed but the one instance i can really think of is someone charging me like 99k per in-expensive orderable items. if it was the more expensive items like the instruments i would understand but i bought like,, a baby bear from them. this is more of a rip-off than a scam, though lmao

THIS is what makes me hesitant to give stuff away for free.
I don't need NMT or bells so I'm happy to give stuff to people who want it.
But if I saw that same person listing the item for sale I would be absolutely livid.

Didn't get scammed but I got pretty annoyed with a seller. They agreed to sell me an item and then proceeded to ignore my pms, I sent them several reminders but nothing. When I checked the thread they sold the item to someone else so I messaged them again to ask if it was a mistake or anything but yet again no response.

Ugh people please communicate ty

Not really SCAMMED per se but I had a deal going with someone on here for a butterfly model that I was going to buy from them. First they were unresponsive to messages on and off for two days, then when I FINALLY got a solid response from them it was a message about "something came up where I will be busy dealing with it for at least two weeks so I don't think we can do the exchange", then I discovered that they had sold the butterfly model to someone else THE VERY NEXT DAY.

I’ve never had a problem with this site! I’m not totally sure if this was a scam.. but I waited over an hour in turnip exchange to sell turnips for 500+. I put down my NMT for entry and before I was going to enter nooks it said communication was disrupted :/ when I got back to my island the NMT was gone so I have no idea if it was an actual accident or scam.

Not really SCAMMED per se but I had a deal going with someone on here for a butterfly model that I was going to buy from them. First they were unresponsive to messages on and off for two days, then when I FINALLY got a solid response from them it was a message about "something came up where I will be busy dealing with it for at least two weeks so I don't think we can do the exchange", then I discovered that they had sold the butterfly model to someone else THE VERY NEXT DAY.
wait was that me? sounds familiar

Not really SCAMMED per se but I had a deal going with someone on here for a butterfly model that I was going to buy from them. First they were unresponsive to messages on and off for two days, then when I FINALLY got a solid response from them it was a message about "something came up where I will be busy dealing with it for at least two weeks so I don't think we can do the exchange", then I discovered that they had sold the butterfly model to someone else till THE VERY NEXT DAY, Bum bum bum bum ba-bada-dum

Sorry, I couldn't resist...
But I have been 'scammed' on turnip exchange. I was finally at #2 in the queue and got my dodo code... THEN THE QUEUE WAS CANCELLED!
Luckily, I remembered the dodo code and flew there and sold my turnips. Mind you, I was waiting for forty minutes!

Back