TBT's Earth Week 2024: Hybrid Flower Breeding & More!

Thx for the bells @Leif !!!! I’ll keep on weeding for u whenever u need it!
Here is a pic of some of my mom’s garden right now!
IMG_2762.jpeg

I'm pretty concerned about the image thing too. I've always been careful when posting photos for event submissions, but it is a little unnerving that many submissions in the contact the staff board or events threads can't be removed even after the event ends. Maybe this could be solved by implementing a deletion request feature like the one available for profile posts?

on a lighter note, ty for the 6 bells leif!

sorry if this was already mentioned, i've only had my phone and really don't wanna sift through 30+ pages on mobile but the new event submission method is a little concerning, namely this bit:

for the most part it seems innocuous enough but for an event like the nature photography one, or any instance where we're taking pictures of our surroundings (such as scavenger hunts) it's really worrying to require photos to remain permanently on tbt. photos that can even subtly suggest where someone lives are how people have been doxxed and stalked. it might seem paranoid or exaggerated but i know two people who this has happened to personally just based on things like the shape of the windows on surrounding buildings.

much less serious but if this method is carried to other events, it's also weird to me to ask artists to have their art hosted here indefinitely. personally i'd rather have full control of my own work and it doesn't feel right leaving it in the hands of strangers with no means of removing it if i wish.

i'm not 100% sure of a way around it other than suggesting maybe a pop-up box explaining the permanence of submissions and to not include anything personal or identifiable before hitting submit. though i'm also not 100% sure why this change had to be made in the first place rather than just asking entrants for more clarification in their posts or something.

thank you for 10 bells, Leif!

I'm also a bit wary about the pics I post potentially identifying me... I hope there is an option to remove the pics after the event.

I'm pretty concerned about the image thing too. I've always been careful when posting photos for event submissions, but it is a little unnerving that many submissions in the contact the staff board or events threads can't be removed even after the event ends. Maybe this could be solved by implementing a deletion request feature like the one available for profile posts?

on a lighter note, ty for the 6 bells leif!

Regarding the loss of event images, it's not about mandating some kind of control over images, but rather the general decay of image hosting that occurs on the internet over time. You don't have to go that far back digging through our archives to start finding events with all sorts of broken images due to various image hosting providers deleting images or disabling hotlinking -- personally, I find that really sad to see.

In the past, that was sites like Photobucket and Tinypic, today's version is Discord's recent changes. Nearly every other place you upload images on the internet is profit driven and they will not hesitate to destroy uploaded content to cut costs if they need to, while TBT is still kicking 20 years later with content going back to 2004 alive and well. Possibly TBT's greatest strength is our uniquely long history among internet communities at this point, so reducing the amount of event content losses from what external sites choose to do is a big win in our book.

This is not entirely new either, as for a long time now, we have already been uploading the finalist winners of most events to our own server for the same reason. As far as I know, we have never received a request to take down a winner's entry, so I don't think it will be a particularly common issue. That being said, you'll still be able to delete your own uploaded images yourself by editing your post. If a thread is locked or an image was re-uploaded by us, you can always request that we take it down through Contact The Staff if there are concerns. We already remove personally identifiable information in posts when asked.

Avoiding the loss of event images in the future isn't the primary reason for this new process though. It's a small element in our greater goal of new systems we are developing on the forum to make the event finalization process easier and more automated for staff, as alluded in Jeremy's last bullet point. You can imagine it's a lot of wasted time and generally exhausting work to gather together all of the entries from an event thread, present them in a helpful manner for staff favourites/voting, and gather the votes or favourites from everyone -- multiplied by many threads at the same time in our mega events like the Fair. We're hoping to streamline and automate this process as much as we can, and in order for these new systems to be feasible, we do need images hosted on our server.

Ultimately, this will lead to both less staff time wasted on mundane tasks, while getting event results out faster for everyone. We might even be able to extend this to the user side too making it easier to view all of the entries at a glance, but all of this work is still tentative with the nature event being an early beta test.

I hope that clears up some questions for everyone and makes it clearer why we are making these changes! We do plan to extend this system to all future events as soon as possible, so it's good to make sure we're all on the same page. The whole point of this early beta test is to collect feedback after all.

Back