• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Surgery? Have you had one?

My wisdom teeth, my ankle/heel, and my elbow. The last two were fracture repairs.
Logistically I'll probably need surgery on my knee; pretty sure I tore my meniscus from a longboarding accident...but I'm stubborn and don't want to be on recovery for a week yet. 🙃 Which, yes, better to take care of early than later but...

2 so far, both on my mouth (and I may need a third one for my jaw at some point because this thing doesn't work right).
First one was impacted canine surgery, and the process for it feels like some medieval torture technique.
Impacted canines are a situation where your adult canine teeth can get stuck in the gums, instead of moving down and replacing your baby teeth naturally. I had the wonderful case of both canines getting stuck, and they were completely sideways which could've eventually pushed some of the other adult teeth out. So how do the surgeons decide to fix this?
First, pull out the baby canine teeth. Then, they drilled into the gum right where they just pulled the baby teeth out until the reach the adult teeth. They strap a tiny chain to the adult canines somehow. Then I had to check in every few weeks for the next 6ish months and they physically yanked on the chain to slowly drag the teeth down, and then tie the chain around braces so it stays in place (yes braces are also required for this so have fun with that entire mess on top of everything else).
I mean it WORKED but was it worth it???? I'm not sure!
Second one was wisdom teeth removal and of course that couldn't be as simple as pulling them out if the last surgery was any indication. It was equally miserable. Yaaaaaay.

i have not, my wisdom teeth have grown in in a normal way but i still want to remove them so i can get braces. not excited for that :[

Hehe I always love this question because I’ve had some crazy surgeries. One was when I severed both nerves and tendons in my right ring finger, and I had two surgeries on that. I am unable to pull my top joint of my finger through.

My craziest surgery was fetal surgery on Nicholas while I was 5 months pregnant with him. They opened me, opened the amniotic sac, had people holding it open, constantly keeping fluid in there and keeping him facing down, while someone else repair the hole in his back. A whole team monitored my citals and a whole team somehow monitored Nicholas’. Then they re-sealed the amniotic sac, closed me back up, and I carried on with my pregnancy until my scheduled c-section. It was the most insane pain I’ve ever been though - let me tell you how much it hurts to have a baby kick your recent surgery scar from inside, but you can’t cry or tense up because that makes it hurt too. I was on bed rest for a month following surgery and was in the hospital for a full week after. I had justtt healed up and was feeling myself again when it was time to deliver. Fortunately, delivery was a cake walk compared to that. I have two scars on my belly, one for each surgery - 2 scars, 1 one baby. So if anyone ever wonders why I’m so close to Nicholas, that’s why. We went through hell together and he doesn’t even know it yet.

ive never had any surgeries thankfully.. im sure im going to have to get my wisdom teeth removed at some point and im certainly not looking forward to that

Back