• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars Thoughts

Alexander97

Bells
Switch
6684-3618-5396
Although this is late, I want to know what are all of you're guys thoughts on this game. I enjoyed revisiting all three games, even with there flaws, and 100 percent completing each. I enjoyed 64 and the ambition it had for the time, and exploring the castle once again. I loved revisiting bomb-omb battlefield and thwomp fortress and messing around with the cannons and flying around freely. The only sad thing is they could have added the ds port to the game to give extra stuff to do. You can 100 percent the first game quiet quickly if you know what your doing. Mario Sunshine, Despite being a glitchy mess, was quiet nice to see again. I love the Island locations and the fludd mechanic and how you could change it to two other cool options. My favorite level in the whole game has to be the amusement park location on the Island. Their are so many cool looking rides in the park that makes me wish they were real. The only two levels I disliked the most was the balloon mission in the park and the pachinko level. Oh boy, those physics are super wonky! The last in the collection, and by far my most favorite, Mario Galaxy, is the most epic adventure I got to playthrough again! I loved the space levels and the crazy gravity shifting to help solve puzzles or just to look cool. Each level is a treat to playthrough and I can't say which one is my most favorite! If I had to chose, it would be the toy time galaxy! I love how we are flying through what appears to be a child's toy room. I enjoyed climbing the toy bowser at the end and taking it apart as well, it fell very satisfying! A shame Nintendo did not include the sequel with this collection, I think the sequel has more interesting levels, but what is in the package is alright. :)

I bought it at release day out of excitement. I was shocked to realise that it is literally a emulator in Switch game form.
They could've really put more effort into it.. I mean, what is this shape of Super Mario 64?! I know it's the original dimensions, but for the amount of money they asked, they could've made a real HD Switch version out of it. I was so disappointed about it, I didn't even bother playing the other two games and sold it pretty fast.

I bought it at release day out of excitement. I was shocked to realise that it is literally a emulator in Switch game form.
They could've really put more effort into it.. I mean, what is this shape of Super Mario 64?! I know it's the original dimensions, but for the amount of money they asked, they could've made a real HD Switch version out of it. I was so disappointed about it, I didn't even bother playing the other two games and sold it pretty fast.
This, exactly this. I don't think the 60$ justifies what is consider basically an emulator.

i was really excited about it and i'm glad i bought it (though i did get it on sale). i never got a chance to play sunshine or galaxy when i was a kid, so i'm really looking forward to get the chance to do so on an easier format than an emulator (for me, personally,they can be really hard to work with).
but the big allure for me was the fact that i'll get to easily play 64 again with my dad! there's just no chance i'd be able to play it on an emulator with him, this format will be way more understandable to him and i can just give him the pro controller to use since it's closer to what he's used to. i've really been missing the things we used to do when i was little so i'm very excited to get to play these games again now. it was a decent part of the reason why i bought a switch in the first place <3

I liked it, I bought it with my eShop money on Christmas. I don't play a lot of Mario anymore but I feel like my money was well spent. I'm glad I bought this game, I'm still playing Sunshine on it and after I want to play 64. I'm happy that I bought this game because Sunshine and 64 are two games that I have never played before because I wasn't even born when they came out, and I would've never played them if it wasn't for this game. I have played Mario Galaxy before but my brother would always be Mario and I would always be stuck playing as the star, but now I get to finally get to play as Mario myself. I think what made me buy it is how Nintendo said that the game would only be available for a limited time even though retailers are still selling it and somebody could still sell their game on the internet, I also bought the game because it had Mario's old games. My money was well spent, but it was a little overpriced. it was $50 and to be honest, I think most switch games are overpriced in general.

i'm not wasting my money on what's essentially a overhyped emulator, especially one with an arbitrary expiration date slapped on in a desperate attempt to get people to panic buy. yoho hoho a pirate's life for me.

but the big allure for me was the fact that i'll get to easily play 64 again with my dad! there's just no chance i'd be able to play it on an emulator with him, this format will be way more understandable to him and i can just give him the pro controller to use since it's closer to what he's used to. i've really been missing the things we used to do when i was little so i'm very excited to get to play these games again now. it was a decent part of the reason why i bought a switch in the first place <3

what's stopping you from playing it on pc with a controller? i mean, you do you, i guess, but why?

what's stopping you from playing it on pc with a controller? i mean, you do you, i guess, but why?

i've done so before, and it's okay, but i just vastly prefer doing it on the switch, in part due to the fact that i can play it out and about if i want to. plus, as i said in my post, it's just more convenient for me to share it with other people this way, particularly my dad : )

i've done so before, and it's okay, but i just vastly prefer doing it on the switch, in part due to the fact that i can play it out and about if i want to. plus, as i said in my post, it's just more convenient for me to share it with other people this way, particularly my dad : )
oh, i read the post, i just can't imagine how you couldn't share it with your dad on pc.

but, again, you do you, boo. : )

Having the ability to play Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy on the go is amazing! I do wish they were ports rather than two emulators running roms of the originals. There is no good reason why Mario 64 should be running at 720p on the Switch docked.

I’m a little disappointed by the lack of side content as well. It would’ve been nice to view info of the games included like the Kirby collection did.

I really loved Super Mario 64 and it was a really joy to play it again on the Switch. Super Mario Sunshine I mean....its okay for what it is, but still a cool game. Super Mario Galaxy well....I am not a fan of motion controls so this was probably the one Mario game I didn't enjoy much. I know I might get some flack for this but I never found Mario Galaxy that fun.

Its fun and l like that it has the game soundtracks from all 3. Nice to have 2 games that are long and it's something to do when l have no other games to play. Mario 64 is too short for me though and l already played Mario galaxy on the wii but l guess it's still sorta fun to play them. Sunshine ik for sure l have most hours on.

Last edited:
It was fine, except it's basically an emulator on the switch. Good for people who like the nostalgia, but for people like me, I don't really care that much

I didn't really know what I wanted for my b-day last year, so I just asked for this. I haven't touched Mario 64 because I played it on the 64 (hand me down) and also on the DS. So it was like Ocarina of Time where it has been ported enough that I already got my fill out of it. I played Sunshine and Galaxy and their age really shows.

The way swimming works in Sunshine looks like it's not intentional and instead a glitch and Mario is so sluggish and heavy in Galaxy. I would had preferred him moving more like he did in Sunshine. Both games really needed QoL updates, but this is Nintendo and they knew the majority of us would buy it and defend it to the death. I barely touch it and pick it up from time to time, but the outdated mechanics make some of the levels unnecessarily complicated.

Which is why they did the same thing with the Zelda 35th, but instead just gave us one game only instead of a collection and called it a day. Check it out on Twitter. Any amount of calling Nintendo out, even if mild and polite, is met with hardcore opposition.

With the amount of time that I’ve spent playing Super Mario Galaxy, I’d say it was worth the money to me. However, I just couldn’t get into the other two games. It’s very hard to go back to low-quality graphics after playing primarily recent 3D Mario games, unfortunately. I know I should give them more of a chance, but each time I go back I play for about 5 minutes and quit.

i'm not wasting my money on what's essentially a overhyped emulator, especially one with an arbitrary expiration date slapped on in a desperate attempt to get people to panic buy. yoho hoho a pirate's life for me.

This is my view on it. I'd rather just play the same games for free on an emulator. It just seemed lame of Nintendo to rerelease a game without doing anything to the games as well as add the limited time only date to get more people to buy.

It also might be that I don't really care about Mario games asides from Mario Kart. I didn't play Sunshine but I have played the other two games. I guess I didn't have the nostalgia some people did. I'm glad those that had that enjoyed the games though.

I am really glad that I bought the Super Mario 3D All Stars, while I do have Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy because I own the Wii and the Nintendo 64 it's really nice to be able to play it all on one console. I don't like to do emulators because my computer can't handle it and I'm not quite comfortable doing that. I never owned a gamecube, and even if I did if I wanted to buy Mario Sunshine the game is so outrageously expensive to buy it. I really enjoy the games.

Playing Super Mario Sunshine for the first time. Not really into it, I don't like the gimmick.

Also playing Super Mario Galaxy for the first time and I do like that gimmick. Honestly, I wouldn't think I'd like the gimmick of the planets and not having like a real ground to play on, but I do enjoy this game.

Definitely not my first time playing Super Mario 64, I played the original as a kid at a friends' house and beat the DS version when that was a thing. I love the game, but god I just hate the old controls.

Overall, I only wanna play Super Mario Galaxy, and I'm glad I have the option to. Though the amount of ports is kinda concerning and I completely understand people not buying them again to not support this business, I could only ever get a handheld console so replaying some wii classics and others is delightful to me. I guess Skyward Sword is the worst example of this practise, but to me that is just another main title Zelda game I never had the chance to play and I look forward to doing just that.

But, you know, doing like Super Mario Galaxy Switch would also be neat, probably better for many.

i think it’s an interesting idea, but it’s definitely overpriced for what it is + the fact it was technically supposed to be limited was dumb (key word supposed to be bc I just saw it at a GameStop today and felt incredibly surprised lol). ultimately like people said, in the end it’s probably just better to emulate if you’re able to handle it. you can even use a switch controller for dolphin at this point so like you can have about the exact setup you would on switch For Free

For me personally, the game's worth it for Super Mario Galaxy alone. It's one of my favorite games of all time and being able to play it on the go / at a higher resolution when docked, is really nice. However, when they first showed the trailer, I was expecting to hear that "switch" sound and Mario 64 would be shown in Odyssey-like graphics. It would have been nice to have some actual remakes or at least have the game sold at a lower price.

I already finished Super Mario 64 with 120 stars, twice.

I also got 120 shines on Mario Sunshine, love the game but that was really difficult to pull off.

And I can't get into Mario Galaxy for some reason. Oh well.

Back