• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Stories in the Shadows (Melon Ballers and Crystal Ballers Cabins)

Mick

Stellar Wild Child
Staff
Artist
Bells
Island
Narnia
Blue Bunny Balloon
Yellow Bunny Balloon
Green Bunny Balloon
Red Bunny Balloon
Silver Star Glow Wand
Blue Train Engine
Yellow Caboose
Sleek Train Car
Floral Train Car
White Crescent Moon
965_cb2.png

Shouldn't you be in your tent by now? Did your cabin leaders approve you being out this late? Anyway, it's dark here in the mountains already but the little party around the campfire is going strong. For a while now, people have been using the light from the fire to shape the shadows on a nearby cliff into the silhouette of a mythical monster that is rumoured to live in these very mountains. What do you think it looks like?

💡How it workss

Shine a light on your hands, random objects, or a combination of both to create the shadow of any real or imaginary animal/monster! Tip for those using their hands: The timer function on your camera may prove useful.

Take pictures of the shadow and the items you used to create it (along with your username), write a few sentences about your creature and post it for credit.

💡How to submitt

Submit your entry by posting it in this thread by 6:59pm EDT on August 15th 2021.

💡Ruless

• Entries without a written description will not be accepted.
  • Things already resembling a creature (such as figurines, statues, or paper cutouts) are not allowed.
  • Rule clarification (added Aug 9): This means your entry should not contain flat paper cutouts at all!
  • All entries must include both a shadow and the setup used to achieve it. This may be done in either one or two pictures.
  • Your TBT username MUST be visible in at least one of your pictures.
  • A reasonable amount of effort should be put into your submission. Those that appear rushed or submitted jokingly will not be accepted
  • Only one shadow may be submitted per individual - no collaborations!
  • Entries are not allowed to be edited once they have been posted.
  • Keep all shadows suitable for a PG-13 audience.

💡How to votee

The cabin favourites are entirely community-decided. To vote, simply leave a reaction on the post of any entry. You can use either the Like or Love reaction, they will be added together. Entries that are approved will be marked by the staff with the accepted reaction, but don't wait for this to appear. Feel free to Like/Love any entries at any time!

While you can react to any entry, favourites will be decided only by votes from members of the same cabin.

💡Prizess

20 Mountain Tokens and 20 points for your accepted entry (you may enter once).
In addition, if your cabin submits at least 10 different creatures, 100 points will be awarded to the cabin.

The top 3 cabin favourites will earn an additional 8 Mountain Tokens. The top 1 will also receive a Rainbow Jellyfish Collectible.

💡Submission checklistt

Before submitting your entry to this thread, make sure that:

☑ At least one of your pictures includes your TBT username
☑ You are not only showing your creature, but also your setup (multiple pictures allowed)​
☑ You wrote a short description for your animal/creature​
🛑 Your entry does not contain flat paper cutouts at all. (Reminder added on Aug 9)

Frequently Asked Questions:
Is there any limit to the amount of items/lights used?
You may use as many items as you need!

Can we use coloured lights for our light source?
This is allowed.

Is it allowed to have the backdrop contain elements of the creature?
No. Please create your shadow on a clean, even surface.

Last edited:
Is there a limit to the number of items that you can use? Or the size? Like for example, if I want to project my shadow in the back wall of a 9-stores building :unsure: Are more than one flashlight/source allowed?

Is there a limit to the number of items that you can use? Or the size? Like for example, if I want to project my shadow in the back wall of a 9-stores building :unsure: Are more than one flashlight/source allowed?

There will be no restrictions on the number of objects, light sources, or the size of your shadow! The prompt is difficult enough as it is. 😉

deer1.jpg

deer2.jpg

I chose the deer because I see this creature as both beautiful and creepy. In daylight, the deer is a majestic sight to behold. But at night, its shadow and silhouette can be a thing of nightmares.

I modeled the deer from scratch using crumpled paper. I made each body part separately (head, neck, body, and legs) then wrapped each one in masking tape to smooth out the jagged edges and keep the shape. Then I taped everything together. Lastly, I used craft wire for the antlers.

Hello again! :) I have another question, please.

About the projecting of the shadow, would it be considered cheating if I do it somewhere that adds a certain effect? For example, if I make the shadow on a door with a red round handle and use that for a "red eyes" effect of sorts. Is that okay, or must the shadow be on a clean empty surface?

Good question! Please display your creations on a clean, even surface. This way all entries can be judged consistently instead of on a case by case basis. Thank you!

I will go ahead and add a FAQ section to the opening post to contain questions like this so people may find their answers easier. 👍

Hello again! :) I have another question, please.

About the projecting of the shadow, would it be considered cheating if I do it somewhere that adds a certain effect? For example, if I make the shadow on a door with a red round handle and use that for a "red eyes" effect of sorts. Is that okay, or must the shadow be on a clean empty surface?
You could put colored clear plastic paper over the flashlight lens to give the light a different color.

Edit: entry scrapped. New entry here:

What could be more fearsome than a sleepy- eyed raccoon that could send you to debtor's prison? (My shadow creature is Tom Nook, in case it wasn't clear).

Please let me know if this is not acceptable in any way. My son wants his train track pieces back, so I might have to start from scratch. Lol.

I used the following items:
  • 4x train Bridge toy pieces
  • 2x wooden blocks
  • Green cup
  • Rubber ball
  • Paper stencil for eyes and ears (this is the part I'm not sure if it violates the rule about paper cutouts; i had to make it myself, but I didn't think it already resembled the final creature alone)

Last edited:
Can the creature we make be imaginary or made up? Or does it have to be one from real life or a game?

Last edited by a moderator:
What could be more fearsome than a sleepy- eyed raccoon that could send you to debtor's prison? (My shadow creature is Tom Nook, in case it wasn't clear).

Please let me know if this is not acceptable in any way. My son wants his train track pieces back, so I might have to start from scratch. Lol.

I used the following items:
  • 4x train Bridge toy pieces
  • 2x wooden blocks
  • Green cup
  • Rubber ball
  • Paper stencil for eyes and ears (this is the part I'm not sure if it violates the rule about paper cutouts; i had to make it myself, but I didn't think it already resembled the final creature alone)

Unfortunately we have decided not to allow paper cutouts to be a part of the submissions at all to prevent having to judge on an arbitrary line where a submission is "too much paper".

The rest of the rule was intended to prevent pre-made statues such as amiibos and collectable figurines. However, making a statue from scratch is very much like assembling a collection of items into the right shape, which is why it was allowed. I hope that makes sense!

Can the creature we make be imaginary or made up? Or does it have to be one from real life or a game?

Both real and imaginary creatures will be acceptable!

Unfortunately we have decided not to allow paper cutouts to be a part of the submissions at all to prevent having to judge on an arbitrary line where a submission is "too much paper".

The rest of the rule was intended to prevent pre-made statues such as amiibos and collectable figurines. However, making a statue from scratch is very much like assembling a collection of items into the right shape, which is why it was allowed. I hope that makes sense!

Both real and imaginary creatures will be acceptable!
No problem! I think I have something i can do!
Post automatically merged:
@Mick entry attempt #2! This post merge business is confusing, so I don't know if this went through.
Hey cousin, could I interest you in some questionable art?

20210809_111356.jpg

I attempted to create Redd, the sly fox vendor from Animal Crossing!

I used toy train track bridges, toy pizza slices, a cup, a bulb syringe, and my hands!

Attachments

• 20210809_111356.jpg
    20210809_111356.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 500
Last edited:
1628530019415.png
1628529992512.png

I made a jellyfish, inspired by the new collectibles. I used an old retainer case for the body, and blue-tacked some cut up rubber bands to the bottom for the tentacles! The ruler on the top helped me dangle it without my hands getting in the way of the shadow.

First of all, I apologize in advance for the bad quality. It was pretty difficult for me to make the shadow pic due to terrible lighting along with a not so great camera. I hope it's still okay. ;-;

DQFbEFs.jpg

My idea was a floating Jirachi (Pokémon) which I crafted via thin colorful cardboard. I attached it on a improvised construct (made of a piece of wire, some thin yarn and some tape) on the wall to get it "floating" (sort of).
3WsnQUS.jpg

5iEWUjj.jpg

YLNovfK.jpg

Hello! Unfortunately, the use of paper/cardboard cutouts is not allowed as described by the rules in the opening post. To qualify, please make a different entry in a new post. Thank you!

Alright... Attempt No. 2. Again I apologize for the bad quality and such, lighting and camera both sucks. Hope it's this time okay.

Hbm8c2W.jpg

A floating jellyfish, simply made out of a sort of broken Styrofoam ball and some old yarn. Comes along with the wonderful stories of the annoying jellyfishes from New Leaf, which love to sting you whenever you swim through the ocean.

iQ5pzWn.jpg

I tried to make a shadow of the mythical Mexican creature, La Lechuza. Because her appearance varies depending on the storyteller, I aimed and failed for this one.
la lechuza reference.jpg

IMG_5261.jpg

IMG_5260.jpg

The hair was made out of ribbon that I frayed. The beak was made out of tape and tin foil.

PXL_20210809_184432838.MP.jpg

legend speaks of an alien spider-like creature that lurks in the darkness of the mountain ranges, just out of sight of the ember drops of a crackling campfire. its head resembles that of a flattened flower to lure its prey in. never be left alone at night for the beast is watching and its hunger is never-ending.

PXL_20210809_184501707.MP.jpg

lol anyway it's just a nail polish remover bottle, a pair of scissors, a plastic rose, and a stand that holds up a moon decoration

Back