• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Sonic Frontiers— Initial Thoughts

QueenCobra

Gutted, rotted, Gila monster, BEAST!
Bells
Happy New Year! Anyway, I got Sonic Frontiers as a gift and I have been enjoying it lately. It’s a bit trickier than Sonic Rush (my only other Sonic game), but I really like the open-world feel of it. What do you guys think?

—My mom seeing Knuckles for the first time: That one has long hair!

(I mean…I guess that’s his hair?)

—Also that little dance Sonic does when he finds a Chaos Emerald is adorable.

—Caught myself singing “If U Seek Amy” while looking for Amy on the first island.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see that after many years of Sonic games being (not undeservedly) chided for their poor quality, this one seems to be receiving a much more positive reception, albeit with the caveat that it's still very rough around the edges.

Unfortunately, I don't think this one is for me. If I ever find myself in possession of a console or better PC, I might give it a go (the Switch version is reportedly beyond awful), but watching multiple people play through the game left a rather bitter taste in my mouth. The combat just seems utterly boring to me, and while I commend anyone who is able to look past the technical shortcomings of the game, the graphical pop-in and stuttering seems just beyond my threshold of tolerance, which is especially bad in a game where the primary objective is going fast.

Overall, happy for Sonic fans. But I'll be more curious to see if they can properly refine the formula in later entries and create a game that is truly good without the giant asterisk attached to it.

Honestly, I haven't played Sonic Frontiers even though I would love to because I'm a fan of the series, but unfortunately I couldn't help but spoil the gameplay and for at least a month after its release I listened to this video to give me the first charge morning:

As a long-term Sonic fan who would choose a Sonic game over a Mario game, this open world concept Frontiers has to offer is a long-time request from many fans.

In my opinon, most Sonic games have an arcade-like experience which is more fun in a multi-player setting. There are many characters in the Sonic franchises with curious and deep backgrounds or 'lore'. My top played GameCube games were Sonic Adventure DX and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle which both included a Chao Garden, which is another feature fans have been requesting the return of.

Sonic Adventure DX gave insight into the many origins of classic characters and featured rare characters such as Cream the Rabbit. During the rise of GameCube, DX had the most open world availability which also included stages and cut scenes that told a captivating story.

I just loved those games so much.. Frontiers is a must have for me since it is different than any other recently released Sonic. Hopefully Sega will get the message from all the fans who want to raise all the rare, dark, light, neutral, parrot, dragon, tiger, Chaos they can possibly collect.

Kind of an old topic, but I played this game a bit. I'm not a fan of how they turned the game into a collectathon. You could pretty much just go around the world map collecting all the baubles to have enough stuff to progress to the next stage without actually playing the actual stages.

It was a fun game, with cool boss fights and short but interesting stages, but they focused too much on the collecting part.

Back