Should Animals be used for research?

I hope this time it doesn't end in a fiery blaze, haha.

I'm for it, as long as it's for vital research. Cosmetic research shouldn't be, especially potentially dangerous kinds. I don't think you should (potentially) put the life of anything at all under something that makes you look better.

Nope, 100% no, not under any circumstances.

I'm sure the majority of people agree that using animals for cosmetic purposes is wrong, shoving corrosive **** in a bunnies eyes because you want shimmery eyelids is beyond disgusting. I also think it's wrong for medical research, what gives humans the right to use animals for our benefit? It just seems so morally wrong to me, knowing that every medication I take was tested on animals, potentially killing thousands or even millions of them, makes me feel so guilty and uneasy, why should they have to suffer just so I can have the privilege of taking medication? (not saying people shouldn't take medication, if you need medication for whatever reason, you should take it, i have nothing against people who take medication it just disgusts me that it has to be tested on animals by law.)

Humans have advanced in so many ways, look at all the technology we have now, we can do so many amazing things with technology, yet we still test on non-human animals to research human illnesses? It's absurd to me, there's no need for it. There's many, many alternatives to animal testing now, such as human stem cell research (from donations), as well as humane research on people who have said disease. There's even artificial human skin, such as Episkin who recreate many types of human tissue for research purposes. Other alternatives to animal testing include; Computer (in silico) Modeling, in vitro (test tube) testing on human cells, image testing through MRI and CT scans and many more. With all these options, why do we still test on animals?

In the UK all medicines have to be tested on animals before they can be sold and approved for humans, it doesn't make sense, just because we have similarities with certain animals does not mean that we are the same nor does it mean that a drug safe for animals will also be a drug safe for humans. Many times testing drugs on animals has failed and caused harm to humans, here is a list of 50 times animal testing has failed humans, I'm not completely sure how reliable all the information here is, but it's pretty common knowledge that animal testing has failed humans many times. Even if it did work 100%, why would it be acceptable to kill billions of animals like that for our personal gain and development when there's so many other viable options?

Last edited:
Probably not in correlation to research for humans. Researching animals for the sake of researching about animals is fine, but testing drugs and etc. on a rat and then correlating it with humans isn't ideal. Just pay humans to be test subjects.

Last edited:
Pretty much no. My only personal exception is that if the research would save multiple people's or many animal's lives. But other than that, it's cruel.

For cosmetics, toiletries etc, no. None of it is stuff we even need, especially cosmetics. Just test it on people. If you're that worried that something in your shampoo might kill/blind/whatever a person, what the **** is that ingredient you're worried about doing in there anyway? Surely we're at a point where we have a good idea of what we should and shouldn't be putting in these products without having to pour it on a bunnies face. How much better can most of these products even get anyway? I don't think 'soap' is going to get much friggin' better than it already is.

For medications, I would rather it didn't happen but I'm sure there's a lot of reasons why it happens. I could state a bunch of alternatives but at the end of the day, I'm not a scientist. I'm sure finding willing test subjects who are fine with the possibility of being dead is a big hurdle...Not that animals are fine with it, but, yano.
There's at least a big difference between the end product being something that can treat life threatening illnesses as opposed to something that will make your hair smell a little bit more like strawberries than the old formula did.

I don't like it. I mean those poor animals don't really have much choice do they? Who knows what sort of effect it's having on them, not just physically but mentally too.

Not really for cosmetics, but medicinal research yeah. The life of people outweighs the lives of labrats imo

I hope this time it doesn't end in a fiery blaze, haha.

I'm for it, as long as it's for vital research. Cosmetic research shouldn't be, especially potentially dangerous kinds. I don't think you should (potentially) put the life of anything at all under something that makes you look better.

I'm with RainbowCherry.

Being a super-science nerd. We have to research on animals to figure out what we need to use to survive. Then again, cosmetic use?? That's just idiotic.

I could go into details, but I'm too lazy lol

I'm with RainbowCherry.

Being a super-science nerd. We have to research on animals to figure out what we need to use to survive. Then again, cosmetic use?? That's just idiotic.

I could go into details, but I'm too lazy lol

Why do we need to research on animals exactly?

no.

i actively avoid makeup/cosmetics that are from companies that test on animals. i can't be as picky with medication obviously, but i would if i could.

Why do we need to research on animals exactly?

What if the animal has an unknown desease? Or has a cure to help us humans and animals?

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm against them used for medical research, however it depends on the animal as well, if it's a cat, no its extremely wrong, but if it's on a fly or insect I don't care

Last edited:
Yes for medical and scientific research. No for cosmetics and other trivial things.

Nope. Maybe like... non-invasively studying them to learn about animals, but as a whole, since they can't consent to what's going on and probably get no rewards from it, then it's wrong.

For me, I have mixed feelings. I HATE cosmetic research that involves animals-it really brings us nothing but more ways to update a beauty standard that gets more and more unattainable as products come out.

The idea of "Research" and "Animal Testing" are two very broad things that overlap in some places. There is animal research that is essential to us and the ecosystems we have (e.g., we still don't know why bees are dying, so labs do tests on beehives all the time in hopes of saving the bee population). It may harm some (like the few beehives they test on), but overall the idea "hundreds to save thousands" is implemented...so it's alright, I suppose.

That being said, I'm going to be a Marine Biologist when I graduate, and I'll be doing tons of research on a lot of different animals. Hopefully I don't add to the problem and harm any wildlife :)

Animal-tested product are disgusting, never ever should they be used to test any kind of product. Disgusting that people still do that. But if you're talking about research for their own sake, like studying them so we can help endangered species breed, then I don't really have anything against it. But animals should never be used for research that results in our cosmetics etc.

Back