• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Selling Hacked Items Rant

Well I'm actually glad Animal Crossing is more mainstream. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have gotten into it. I know I've been complaining about the toxicity of the community all throughout this thread but that's only a few bad apples. The Animal Crossing community is and has been great for years, and that didn't change just because it got popular. You're focusing too much on the negatives, man...

Is this your first AC game? Animal Crossing has never been popular until now. When I browse the trading/selling board here and on other site, it makes me sick to my stomach.

I'm not even talking about this site alone, the greed on turnip exchange for example and people selling for real money should have their account ban. If I found my Ebay account, I would report everyone of them.

Taking advantages of people in this crisis and may be the root cause of the next AC game to have microtransaction. Don't say it won't happen. Everyone on here several years ago told me to not worry that we would get multiple island per switch..... yeah because Nintendo wouldn't go this far.... Yeah Right!

The writing is on the wall. There a good chance the next AC game will have microtransaction.

Is this your first AC game? Animal Crossing has never been popular until now. When I browse the trading/selling board here and on other site, it makes me sick to my stomach.

New Leaf was my first game, but I remember that game having a lot of attention towards it, and the hype for New Horizons brought me back into AC
Also chill dude o-o

New Leaf was my first game, but I remember that game having a lot of attention towards it, and the hype for New Horizons brought me back into AC
Also chill dude o-o

Nope I don't chill on this subject. People are trying to destroy my entertainment like they have done to so many of my beloved past franchises. This is more than just a game for me.

I hate Youtubers and streamers, nothing worst than AC becoming popular. A community growing big is never a good thing.

Are we talking about legit hacking i.e. code modification or glitch exploitation e.g duplication, but I think some people in this thread are getting confused.

Duplication glitch =/= hacking.
Maybe dupe glitching is not hacking per se, but I think that's what the post was mostly referring to. It has adverse effects on the gaming community in my opinion regardless.
Like people selling duplicated 7-Eleven items back in NL for exorbitant amounts of bells or, in some cases, real money.

Both have the same effect in the end, it doesn't matter

Hacking is a near automatic ban for Nintendo Online and can involve far more than hyperinflating the bell economy, Nintendo has yet to ban someone for using an exploit unless they were posting about it on their services.

Ugh that super sucky honestky!!! Like hacked items can end up ruining people's f and everything that's just trashy to do any of that :\

Nope I don't chill on this subject. People are trying to destroy my entertainment like they have done to so many of my beloved past franchises. This is more than just a game for me.

I hate Youtubers and streamers, nothing worst than AC becoming popular. A community growing big is never a good thing.

Oof... Just... Oof, dude. You're actually kinda bumming me out a bit.

I have pretty much the same mindset as you. Thank you for putting my thoughts into words lmao
But yeah on a serious note, and as I was saying earlier, there is an abundance of new players and a lot of them are spreading negativity and toxicity and getting all the giant egos. I mean, look at this site! The pages can barely load because there are so many people on it at once, and that's never been a problem before. So many users that are posting say they've joined just this week! It's crazy. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, and I'm def not saying the people on here are toxic, I'm just giving an example on how much more hyped ACNH was in regards to every other AC game.

I'm not even talking about this site alone, the greed on turnip exchange for example and people selling for real money should have their account ban. If I found my Ebay account, I would report everyone of them.

Taking advantages of people in this crisis and may be the root cause of the next AC game to have microtransaction. Don't say it won't happen. Everyone on here several years ago told me to not worry that we would get multiple island per switch..... yeah because Nintendo wouldn't go this far.... Yeah Right!

The writing is on the wall. There a good chance the next AC game will have microtransaction.
I took a look today for the first time.

Made me a little sick as well.

I hope when I trade for items that there will be decent people who will accept a fair price, be it in game bells or TBT.

I won't be grinding for Crook Mile Tickets.

I have pretty much the same mindset as you. Thank you for putting my thoughts into words lmao
But yeah on a serious note, and as I was saying earlier, there is an abundance of new players and a lot of them are spreading negativity and toxicity and getting all the giant egos. I mean, look at this site! The pages can barely load because there are so many people on it at once, and that's never been a problem before. So many users that are posting say they've joined just this week! It's crazy. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, and I'm def not saying the people on here are toxic, I'm just giving an example on how much more hyped ACNH was in regards to every other AC game.

A lot of the new players have actually been pretty chill, you're focusing too much on the vocal minority. This community is awesome, there's just a few bad apples...

Lone I hate to be rude but you always over react on every thread I see you in. You need to calm down

A lot of the new players have actually been pretty chill, you're focusing too much on the vocal minority. This community is awesome, there's just a few bad apples...
There are more than a few but that's what comes with it becoming more popular. There's always going to be a percentage of "bad apples" no matter what fandom it is, no matter what game, no matter how many people are playing. What I'm trying to say is the higher populated the AC gets, the more "bad apples" are gonna arise from it. Even if the ratio is 100:1 good to bad (made up number), the more people that join, the more people are going to be bad, yanno? I'm not the best at explaining things I apologize

But in the end we really can't change anything, so we just gotta go with the flow and focus us being the good ones of the bunch :)

AC community is more than just this site. This site has a few bad apples, other sites have more than a few bad apples. But it still only take a few bad apples to ruin it. For example, a small majority of people dupe, but those people affect the economy for who knows how long. Back when New Leaf release, a lot of people have never even heard of the AC franchise. But with pocketcamp and more recently AC Smash, it now becoming one of Nintendo main franchise. And you know mobile user, they have no problem with micro-transaction since they are used to it.

Those people who buy on Ebay probably came to AC via Pocketcamp. And mobile user are the worst offender as they literally single handitly ruin an entire generation of gaming.

They are the reason why micro-transaction, DLC, season passes exist in the first place because prior to mobile gaming, the only thing we had was CD key for PC and full fledge expansion pack. And of course MMORGP monthy subscriptions.
Post automatically merged:

Lone I hate to be rude but you always over react on every thread I see you in. You need to calm down

I wish I could link you to my old thread when people told me that everything was going to be okay. That Nintendo wouldn't do us dirty like they did with one profile per switch. Everyone on here assured me that we would get multiple island since the only reason we had to buy another game was due to the 3DS console limitation.

I listen to other but was still very cautious. Turn out I was right. Nintendo did do us dirty and people who say Nintendo would never "do this and that", well they were wrong. It better to over-react and be cautious then to under-react and be wrong.

Some people even say Nintendo would never implement micro-transaction...so what exactly is Pocket Camp then? Buying an extra Switch for another save profile is the ultimate cashgrab. This is EA level. This is making Microsoft look not as bad.

Nintendo is so anti-consumer that you can't even share stuff in this game without online membership. On Xbox and PS4, you can't play online but you could still access other online features. Not the case with Animal Crossing. Can't download QR code or get mail via another player without online.

Nintendo right now is the most anti-consumer out of all three console manufacture and that just sad. Xbox did right when they fire that greedy CEO after their greed backfire on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raz
Hacking is a near automatic ban for Nintendo Online and can involve far more than hyperinflating the bell economy, Nintendo has yet to ban someone for using an exploit unless they were posting about it on their services.
Well, I think the thread was referring to "duping", "glitching" or whatever else you may want to call it.
At least that's what I understood it to be - not hacking the Switch or selling pirated copies of games or anything like that.
Regardless, I'm not saying that people who dupe should necessarily be banned by Nintendo but
a) I think the game should be designed in a way as to make that impossible. The fact that the crown glitch was abused so early on in the game messed up the whole economy on the forums because now people can actually pay a billion bells for their villagers whereas someone who has been playing legitimately from the start, probably hasn't even paid off their house loan yet.
b) Admins should be wary of traders who keep on trading a countless number of a limited series and asking ridiculous prices for it because there's no way they're obtaining them without duping.
c) Villagers being auctioned off for ridiculous amounts of NMT's - I've put in over 140 hours into this game already and have been playing since launch. I fulfill all the daily tasks to unlock more Nook Miles but I don't get how someone can actually obtain 5000 Nook tickets in-game unless they're duping.

These are just my thoughts on it but to each their own.

AC community is more than just this site. This site has a few bad apples, other sites have more than a few bad apples. But it still only take a few bad apples to ruin it. For example, a small majority of people dupe, but those people affect the economy for who knows how long. Back when New Leaf release, a lot of people have never even heard of the AC franchise. But with pocketcamp and more recently AC Smash, it now becoming one of Nintendo main franchise. And you know mobile user, they have no problem with micro-transaction since they are used to it.

Those people who buy on Ebay probably came to AC via Pocketcamp. And mobile user are the worst offender as they literally single handitly ruin an entire generation of gaming.

They are the reason why micro-transaction, DLC, season passes exist in the first place because prior to mobile gaming, the only thing we had was CD key for PC and full fledge expansion pack. And of course MMORGP monthy subscriptions.

I wish I could link you to my old thread when people told me that everything was going to be okay. That Nintendo wouldn't do us dirty like they did with one profile per switch. Everyone on here assured me that we would get multiple island since the only reason we had to buy another game was due to the 3DS console limitation.

I listen to other but was still very cautious. Turn out I was right. Nintendo did do us dirty and people who say Nintendo would never "do this and that", well they were wrong. It better to over-react and be cautious then to under-react and be wrong.

Some people even say Nintendo would never implement micro-transaction...so what exactly is Pocket Camp then? Buying an extra Switch for another save profile is the ultimate cashgrab. This is EA level. This is making Microsoft look not as bad.

Nintendo is so anti-consumer that you can't even share stuff in this game without online membership. On Xbox and PS4, you can't play online but you could still access other online features. Not the case with Animal Crossing. Can't download QR code or get mail via another player without online.

Nintendo right now is the most anti-consumer out of all three console manufacture and that just sad. Xbox did right when they fire that greedy CEO after their greed backfire on them.
Oooook man
Maybe you need a break from AC

There it is, the whole EA thing all over again.

We're not even talking about Nintendo, we're talking about the community.

I'm not even going to bother with you tbh

Oooook man
Maybe you need a break from AC

No way AC alone have change my sleeping pattern for the better. Something I couldn't do even with sleep meds. AC is therapy for me, it like meditation. I have 300+ hours and not one bit burnout. What other game can do this? There is no other game than can do this.

There it is, the whole EA thing all over again.

We're not even talking about Nintendo, we're talking about the community.

I'm not even going to bother with you tbh

You do what is best for you, that all we can do in this day and age.

Part of me is like "I'm glad more people are getting into this game I've adored for over a decade!"
But then also I agree with pretty much everything you said. The community has always had it's issues but I feel like it's a lot worse now. I've slowly started limiting myself on trading with others. I've found a small group of people on discord that I mostly play with now.

(also yikes nexon i forgot about that site ugh)

Last edited:
See, I wouldn't even hate hacked items that much if they brought down the prices in the economy overall. Instead, people have used it to charge exuberant amounts of money or NMT for pretty much everything. It's insane! New Leaf's online economy was pretty steady and reasonable-ish for the first few months before things started blowing up, but New Horizon's didn't even get off the ground.

Back