• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Selling Hacked Items Rant

Nope I don't chill on this subject. People are trying to destroy my entertainment like they have done to so many of my beloved past franchises. This is more than just a game for me.

I hate Youtubers and streamers, nothing worst than AC becoming popular. A community growing big is never a good thing.
I think people will only destroy your entertainment if you let them. I'm sorry to hear you've had such bad experiences, I'm sure we can all contest with the bad we have seen and the ugly that can come out of anything growing into popularity, especially something we love dearly. That's how I felt for some time when Breath of the Wild brought more people to the Zelda series (a franchise I love and adore with my entire being), but I didn't let that ruin the franchise for me. Instead of focusing on all the negatives, I would disengage yourself from all those negatives entirely, including this site if it makes you feel that way.

Like Licorice said, It's best to limit yourself and focus on trading with friends and people who you know you can trust. That's what me and two different friend groups do and It's a lot of fun. People will only "destroy" your entertainment if you let that consume you. I hope you can find at least some small things that bring you joy in this community and game.

To let your happiness be ruled out by how other people play the game, or even that the game is gaining popularity... I just don't see how you let it affect you like that?

I disagree. If somebody spends $125 on a Marshall card, then they can do what they'd like with it.

They can personally do what they want with it such as scan it, sell it again, or give it away, but using it to create more copies most likely is illegal and breaks copyright laws.

This happens in almost every game in the last 10 years though. There's trainers, save editors, selling in game stuff for real money, MMOs and gold selling bots. I'm not really seeing how this happening in Animal Crossing too comes as a surprise.

To let your happiness be ruled out by how other people play the game, or even that the game is gaining popularity... I just don't see how you let it affect you like that?
Agreed.

Recently, selling hacked tickets, items, and bells for real-world money is becoming more common in the AC community, and it sucks because I feel like it's ruining the online economy and it undermines the work me and many other people go through to get the items fairly. I work my butt off to hunt and sell fish bait, and it sucks that someone can just hack it in and sell a stack for 10 bucks. (Yes, it's that expensive)
I don't really understand how someone selling hacked items undermines any work you've done to get those items. You know that you worked for those items, you know you did it legitimately, and them hacking the item in doesn't change that fact. That's skin to saying that you feel as though someone who works a lucrative job from home, undermines the work you'd have to do out in the field. Don't let how other people obtain their items bring you down, my guy.

Last edited:
They can personally do what they want with it such as scan it, sell it again, or give it away, but using it to create more copies most likely is illegal and breaks copyright laws.
yeah, if you keep reading, thats what I was agreeing with

I used to struggle with this a bit too. I had this thought before, that when I liked something that was less popular, it made me more unique. I would become annoyed if my interests became "mainstream", and felt that all the people coming on board weren't real fans and were only getting into that stuff to follow the crowd.

15 years later and I've mellowed out a lot ^___^. I actually find delight when my interests gain popularity. Not only is it easier to find friends who enjoy the same things, but it just makes enjoying that hobby so much more accessible. That, and I just want to share the joy of these things with the whole world. There is the downside that for every 9 positive encounters you'll have in this situation, there will be that 1 person who drags the community down with negative mannerisms. But typically, I hold onto the faith that humans in general are good people.

Back