• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

🎎 Renn's "Hina Ningyo Doll" Project Shop! 🎎 (PROJECT COMPLETE)

Presenting: Okawa Drummer Pekoe for @Lightspring!

Some notes:
  • The outfit is a combination of the character model and long-sleeved inspiration from a certain drum scene in "House of Flying Daggers" where the actress wore this:
  • Pekoe has a little more makeup than usual; the little mark on her forehead is supposed to be a bear claw
  • The red dress with flower embroidery is from her character default red sleeveless silk dress
  • The character on her drum is "flower bud" in Chinese, a reference to her name; pardon my rusty calligraphy
I love her super round dumpling face, but that's how I see all villagers-- food shapes with personality, LOL.
Oh my goodness! She looks absolutely adorable! I love the detail and thought that went into her drawing, her dress and chubby cheeks are everything 🥺
I haven’t watched the House of Flying Daggers, though I can tell it looks amazing! It was a pleasure to have one of my favorite AC characters make it to the hinaningyo stand. Thank you so much again! ❤️❤️

Presenting: Taiko Drummer Tipper for @piske

1619934826819.png

Some notes:
  • Tipper is wearing a version of the blossoming kimono, where I've added multiple floating petals to represent cherry blossom season
  • The straps that are on her shoulders are called "Tasuki" and are used to tie up the lengthy sleeves so her arms are more free for drumming
  • I debated for ages about whether to add shoes, or have her sitting, but I wanted the taiko drummer to be more energetic and excited, hence the pose

Presenting: Taiko Drummer Tipper for @piske

View attachment 372277
Some notes:
  • Tipper is wearing a version of the blossoming kimono, where I've added multiple floating petals to represent cherry blossom season
  • The straps that are on her shoulders are called "Tasuki" and are used to tie up the lengthy sleeves so her arms are more free for drumming
  • I debated for ages about whether to add shoes, or have her sitting, but I wanted the taiko drummer to be more energetic and excited, hence the pose
This is so beautiful, Renn!!! <3 Tipper looks absolutely lovely! And she looks ready to be the best taiko drummer ever! :D Thank you so much!!! <3 <3 <3

Presenting Emperor Fang for @k e r f u f f l e !

And a version without the hat can be found here: https://ibb.co/mJnM5L4

Some notes:
  • Per request, a dark blue and gray color was included, as well as a sword-- I love that his paw is resting on the pommel of the sword, as if he's ready to draw if needed.
  • I had a real tough time with the head, so Fang looks a little more intimidating and imperious than wise. Thanks @0ni and @mocha. for advising / allowing me to stick with my instincts on the 3/4 angle.
  • The original Fang model wears a snowy sweater, so I was inspired to paint a wintry night.
    • The stars and moon are obscured by the aurora borealis.
    • There are snowflakes on his center panel
  • Wolf paw prints have 4 toes and claws, so there's 4-claw groupings on the designs on the sword pommel, collar, and even with the abstract diamonds on the hat.
  • The star constellation over his heart is Sagittarius, which is Fang's astrological star sign. FYI: Sagittarius is not visible during winter for the Northern Hemisphere (but is in its prime visibility for Southern Hemisphere's winter months).

Presenting Scientific Advisor Daniel, for @xSuperMario64x !

Some notes:
  • Daniel is wearing a modified version of the Hikoboshi outfit and holding a purple pansy, as requested.
  • The outer robe is patterned with the insignia of the Starfleet Science Division; Danny is of the Commander rank, and thus has the double yellow corded stripes on the trim of his sleeves.
  • Other than stargazing (see cushion with nebulas and stars), Danny enjoys gardening (see vines on collar) and train rides (train tracks on the obi belt).
I hope the colors and patterns met your expectations, @xSuperMario64x ! I always forget to offer this, but let me know if anything needs adjustment or changes. ^_^

Last edited:
Presenting Vocalist KK Slider for me! (I rarely make art for myself, what a treat!)

Some notes:
  • He's wearing the Hakama with Crest clothing item
  • The crest has the kanji for "dog"
  • He's holding an uchiwa fan with the pattern for a section of a guitar (around the sound hole and pick guard)

Last edited:
Presenting Junior Guard Sherb, for @Amilee !

Some notes:
  • As a junior guard, Sherb is outfitted as an Ashigaru -- a foot soldier deployed by Samurai.
  • He's wearing the conical hat armor typically seen on ashigaru foot soldiers
  • Sherb is also holding a summer shell conch or "horagai" that is blown to send signals in battle
  • The sashimono banner at his back has the kanji for "goat"
With Sherb, my Hinadan project is COMPLETE! Final shelf and stats coming up...

(Click for bigger image).

Date started: February 27, 2021
Date completed: June 6, 2021
Number of paintings: 25
Total Time spent painting: 91h 3m
Total Number of strokes: 67188
Average time spent on doll: 5h 33m
Longest project: Erhu Player SillyPuppy at 7h 27m

I want to thank every single person who even remotely glanced at this project, but extra special thanks to those of you who trusted me enough with your character or beloved villager to throw some tbt at me. It was a self-indulgent project where I really dictated the overall look and feel of the result, and I learned so much on this journey.

Many thanks,
@Lightspring (twice! *_*)
@Firesquids
@princess.looking.for.frog
@Bluebellie
@deanapants
@Bekaa
@TheSillyPuppy
@Amilee (twice! *_*)
@piske
@k e r f u f f l e
@xSuperMario64x

Last edited:
That looks incredible! Such a cool and creative idea! I am again absolutely amazed by your ideas and talent! Congrats on finishing it too 🥳!

Congratulations on finishing this creative and ambitious project, Renn! 💜 And thank you for letting my rep be forever memorialized in your Hinaningyo display; thank you for putting the effort and time (7.5 hours!) into bringing her to life. 🥰

Back