• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Redd - What you see, isn't what you get.

John Wick

𝑩𝒂𝒃𝒂 𝒀𝒂𝒈𝒂 🐾
Bells
Tricolored Puppy Plush
Swamp Potion
Kaleidoclover
Purple Bat Potion
Lucky
Purple Candy
Ancient Candle
Voodoo Doll
Ancient Candle
Green Candy
For the past month or so since my wife's character visited Redd, she bought genuine art.

We did the whole 'closer look' thing, and I always take a pic with my phone and zoom in to triple check, and I know the real from the fake.

She bought the real Beautiful Statue (no necklace) and real Graceful Painting (tag near hair), but when she got them in the mail, they were the fake version.

Wth is going on?

Anyone else had this happen?

(We 100% bought the real, there was no mistake.)

This is the first time I've heard this. Not that I am saying it isn't a thing, just haven't seen posts/threads about this situation. Could be a new issue or could be isolated and you just got unlucky enough to be one of those people. Do you still have the pictures saved on your phone?

This is the first time I've heard this. Not that I am saying it isn't a thing, just haven't seen posts/threads about this situation. Could be a new issue or could be isolated and you just got unlucky enough to be one of those people. Do you still have the pictures saved on your phone?
No. I just delete them after I've made sure the art is real.

I was going to post about it when it first happened, but didn't think it was worth a topic.
Then it happened again the other day.

It's bad enough forged art is even a thing in AC, but to swap out the real deal when you finally get it, with a fake, is just insidious.

I feel like, if this is a thing, that it's not intended as one of Redd's quirks and more in line with a glitch.

i swear ive had this happen before too, because i remember being upset that i got a fake in the mail but i remember buying a legit, but that was near when redd was first introduced

it sounds like a really bad glitch

There's more than one fake version to some of the artworks, and they can be pretty tricky. Were they different fake versions? Like, you bought a Beautiful Statue with no necklace, but one with a necklace came in the mail? Or was it a different type of fake?

There's more than one fake version to some of the artworks, and they can be pretty tricky. Were they different fake versions? Like, you bought a Beautiful Statue with no necklace, but one with a necklace came in the mail? Or was it a different type of fake?
The one I bought was real. It had no necklace, and the one Redd sent me had the necklace.

The one I bought was real. It had no necklace, and the one Redd sent me had the necklace.
Oh, that's wild! I've never heard of that happening. I guess I can kind of see it as part of Redd's character - he is a con artist after all. Maybe there's a low chance of this occurring and you've had bad luck? Or maybe it is a weird new bug?
I'd just pretend I got scammed, personally. Haha.

I have had this happen twice on a piece of art and the other time with a statue. I spent forever checking that it was real I even googled the list of fake and real art work and it was still fake :(

This is likely happening because NH fakes are more complex that previous Animal Crossing installments. I recall Ninji finding something about this back when Redd was added where sometimes it's not as obvious as "real" versus "fake". I can't find any information on this and I don't have a link saved, unfortunately.

Redd has always been somewhat glitchy for me. He didn’t even spawn regularly according to the schedule rules for the longest time for me. I stopped really remarking on him since people seemed to believe you were making it up. I do log in every day so it’s easy to track.
One of the recent updates fixed it for me though, he does spawn correctly now. However, I have had the fake swap happen twice. It definitely was real when I bought it. I always look up the guide photos and compare (it was a real gallant and a real warrior).
For the warrior it wasn’t a huge deal since I use both versions in my town. So I would have bought it anyway but it was just weird. I probably would have second guessed if I was half awake had it not happened again with the gallant (which I wouldn’t have bought if fake).

It hasn’t happened in awhile though so hopefully yours goes back to usual. It’s frustrating waiting for his spawn only to get fakes I’m sure.

I've never heard of this happening before, so I'm guessing its most likely a glitch. I've bought a bunch of artwork from Redd these past several months since he came to NH and this has never happened to me.

that is really unfortunate - if it is a glitch, i hope it gets worked out. i can't say i've ever had something like that happened to me - the only fake artwork i've ever received was from tank through the mail. i'm always really careful and it's never been swapped out after purchasing the artwork.

you most likely have, but are there any other posts about it on reddit or anywhere else? if you're alone in your issue, i'm not too sure what to suggest.

Goodness I would be heartbroken if this happened to me! Artwork is one of the things that are scarce in my museum so it's always a little celebration on the rare occasions that Redd visits. All of the genuine art that I've bought has been accepted by Blathers so far, but I'll keep it in mind that that fox could be more tricky than we first thought. I hope if it's a glitch that it'll be fixed soon!

woah, this is unexpected. I haven't had this happen to me before, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a glitch. There seems to be more and more glitches that pop up these days.

Goodness I would be heartbroken if this happened to me! Artwork is one of the things that are scarce in my museum so it's always a little celebration on the rare occasions that Redd visits. All of the genuine art that I've bought has been accepted by Blathers so far, but I'll keep it in mind that that fox could be more tricky than we first thought. I hope if it's a glitch that it'll be fixed soon!
Oh I already farmed Redd for everything ages ago.

This was my wife's character we started not so long ago, but it was after an update, so maybe it is a glitch. :)

Back