• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Popular games you couldn’t really get into?

the majority, for sure. the only "popular" games i've played and enjoyed are minecraft and several nintendo IPs (mario platformers, pokemon, ac) although i'm in the minority for having not enjoyed mario odyssey. never saw the appeal of zelda or any of the other IPs from them. ditto for shooting games (i.e. call of duty), fortnite, stardew valley, league of legends etc.

Grounded my fiends liek it and I like it a little but I’d rather play other survival crafting games like Terraria or Minecraft.

Also whoever said something about Minecraft I respect you but bruh srsly

GTA: I used to like it only to steal the cars back in high school. 😅 All the other stuff that comes with it, I’m not interested in at all

I loved Dragon Age and how your choices affects the game and the ending, but I too am not interested in Mass Effect. I watched my ex play it and it honestly never interested me. Then again, I initially didn’t like Dragon Age when I saw him play and the graphics or character models/designs, but I fell in love with it when he got me the ultimate edition. I seriously don’t think I’d like Mass Effect though; not quite sure yet why other than maybe the visuals and setting not being of any interest to me.

Breath of the wild. I put 30 hours into it and was bored the entire time. I had to force myself to play.

Dunno how popular it is/was, but Danganronpa. I really liked some characters/designs, but I never got hold on how to actually play the game. And might have mentioned before, but the Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney games. Mostly cause you basically needed to watch videos or read a walkthrough to get somewhere unless you were really into the games. It had some good characters (especially in Dual Destinies) but yeah, pretty flat as a game and I'd rather watch them than play them games.

Among Us. I really hate to be the person who craps on a game because it's popular since it's one of my biggest pet peeves but... I just don't get it. I've watched my favorite streamer play and it's just a lot of yelling back and forth. Eventually you start to pick up on how people play too so it kind of defeats the point of the game once you figure out someone's strategy. I'm also really not a fan of the art style at all. It bothers me they only walk around on 2 legs with no arms showing and the main front cover. I don't know why it annoys me so much. This game has somehow remained in such high popularity for so long while other really amazing games trend for only a small period and then fizzle out.

Most esport games

Oh yeah...this too, for sure.

And any of those 'flavor of the week' games like Fortnite, PUBG, Fall Guys, Destiny, etc. If a big multiplayer game is trending as "the game to play"...I'm usually as far away from it as humanly possible. Lol.

Among Us. I really hate to be the person who craps on a game because it's popular since it's one of my biggest pet peeves but... I just don't get it. I've watched my favorite streamer play and it's just a lot of yelling back and forth. Eventually you start to pick up on how people play too so it kind of defeats the point of the game once you figure out someone's strategy. I'm also really not a fan of the art style at all. It bothers me they only walk around on 2 legs with no arms showing and the main front cover. I don't know why it annoys me so much. This game has somehow remained in such high popularity for so long while other really amazing games trend for only a small period and then fizzle out.
Oh same! I'm not a fan of Among Us too, but for kinda different reasons. I forced myself to enjoy Among Us because of my friends only to kinda realize it gave me more anxiety than enjoyment. I even bought the game on switch because I thought I'd get over my anxiety one day, but idk I never touched it again. I get how it's fun for others but it just stresses me so much. 😭 I also get peeved at all the memes about it, I just dont find them funny and if anything I get a bit uncomfortable seeing them.

I'm also not a fan of those strat games like League of Legends or Mobile Legends, I tried LoL once before and got bored. I can't exactly pinpoint why I got bored, I guess it just felt repetitive. Plus it has absolutely toxic players and I hate that (I know all games have those toxic people, but co-op battle games definitely bring out the worst in people).

Last edited:
Out of popular games, I would have to say I really couldn't get into Genshin Impact. Like I enjoy rolling for cute characters but I can only play it for maybe an hour before just getting bored with it, and stop playing it for weeks to months. I just feel to me it's a big chore to play and never can fully enjoy it.

I just could not enjoy Cuphead at all for what it is, which is somewhat of a shame because I really liked the art style and the smooth hand-drawn animation. I do not like how the game is centered so much around being so difficult and getting punished heavily after being hit only four times at least. Even though they have a 'simple' mode (which is more of a shortened version of boss fights), you really wouldn't progress until you beat the difficulty the devs intended to. Like bruh, what's the point of adding it in the first place if you can't really enjoy the entire game? It seems like the game would be fun only through trial and error and being consistent. I do NOT like that kind of game design at all where you'd spend hours on just a single area if you weren't 'good enough'. I played this game during the time my sister kept talking about it so I despised it every time Cuphead was being mentioned, no matter what form it comes in.

I get similar vibes from just watching the gameplay of Celeste and Hades and I don't get why people like it. If your game is all about trial and error in order to progress, I ain't buying it, no matter how much people say it's great. I play games to have fun and feel satisfied, not to get stressed and increase my blood pressure.

Quite a few, actually. Last of Us, Red Dead, Death Stranding, Breath of the Wild, I've never been into Mario games and Deadly Premonition. I cannot for the life of me get into that game but I have several friends who adore the hell out of it and I just can't see it. I have nothing against anyone that likes them. You like them, great, glad you had fun, honestly :)

Oh same! I'm not a fan of Among Us too, but for kinda different reasons. I forced myself to enjoy Among Us because of my friends only to kinda realize it gave me more anxiety than enjoyment. I even bought the game on switch because I thought I'd get over my anxiety one day, but idk I never touched it again. I get how it's fun for others but it just stresses me so much. 😭 I also get peeved at all the memes about it, I just dont find them funny and if anything I get a bit uncomfortable seeing them.

I'm also not a fan of those strat games like League of Legends or Mobile Legends, I tried LoL once before and got bored. I can't exactly pinpoint why I got bored, I guess it just felt repetitive. Plus it has absolutely toxic players and I hate that (I know all games have those toxic people, but co-op battle games definitely bring out the worst in people).
I felt this way with Splatoon. I picked it up because some of my online friends had it, although it never interested me before that. All of them ditched Mario Kart, which was the game we were originally into, and went to Splatoon. I just felt left out, so I forced myself to get into it. I couldn’t. Shooters aren’t really my thing. It was fun in some aspects, but I didn’t love it.

Fire Emblem, Smash Bros, Splatoon...
those are just a few lol

I just can't get into games like that, and I never understood why they are so popular

Dunno how popular it is/was, but Danganronpa. I really liked some characters/designs, but I never got hold on how to actually play the game. And might have mentioned before, but the Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney games. Mostly cause you basically needed to watch videos or read a walkthrough to get somewhere unless you were really into the games. It had some good characters (especially in Dual Destinies) but yeah, pretty flat as a game and I'd rather watch them than play them games.
As someone who is a fan of mystery VNs, I can see the appeal of watching a playthrough instead of playing. And yeah even I can get annoyed at how progression can be hard especially in older ones like Famicom Detective Club or some cases in the first Ace Attorney games
Post automatically merged:

Stellaris, Civ, Europa Universalis, or any 4x. I don't understand how most of these systems work. Plus all that DLC that some people sayvis necessary.

Don't Starve if that counts as popular. While I'm able to play for a couple of in-game days, after some time I just get bored and stop playing
Same, it was basically forced into a multiplayer game and it's rather bland for survival even alone.

I do like TBS games, but RTS ones can be really elitist/overly steep learning curves so yeah no.

Mario 64. I'm a huge Mario fan and played most main series games. But 64 is confusing and hard for me to play.

Ghost of Tsushima
Nier Automora
Zelda Breath of the wild

Back