• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Popular games you couldn’t really get into?

Croconaw

アリゲイツ
Bells
A few years ago, I got Splatoon because some of the people in my friend group had it. I couldn’t see the appeal of it. I liked the wars, but that’s about it. It’s been so long, I’m not even sure if that’s the name for them, but you’d choose a side and battle. I had fun with that aspect of the game but it wasn’t this amazing game for me that some people made it out to be. I‘m glad to have tried it though. It’s good to try new things. Shooters weren’t really my thing anyway.

What are some popular games you tried out, but you couldn’t really get into?

Ever Oasis. It came out quite strong back in the day, but after playing it I felt more disappointed than satisfied.
Also Pokémon MM: Gates to infinity. I enjoyed so much the two previous installments, that I couldn't believe how little I enjoyed the third :rolleyes: Didn't even bother buying the fourth.

There's a reason I have these two games on sell here in Spain... Hopefully someone will take them out of my hands someday, sigh.

Also Pokémon MM: Gates to infinity. I enjoyed so much the two previous installments, that I couldn't believe how little I enjoyed the third :rolleyes: Didn't even bother buying the fourth.
I liked the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series, but that game in particular was disappointing. I preferred the older games in the series. Blue Rescue Team was a great game.

Oh this is going to be a long one...

Genshin Impact for me. I see mentions of this game wherever I look, my friends play it, it's just everywhere. So I decided to give it a shot, since it's, apparently, "inspired" by Zelda and I LOVE Zelda. But in the end...I don't get it. I just don't understand the appeal of Genshin Impact. While I do enjoy some of the character's designs and overall world design is nice, and even the plot itself seems interesting... But it all just nullified by amount of things that I find annoying and tedious to deal with. Loading and updating times are just horrible for me and I can't find a way to speed it up. By the time game finally updates and loads, I have no desire to play. The way of getting new character also known as the gacha is just...just drives me mad, okay? I don't like getting the same lame weapon I will never use as a 4-5 star roll. And speaking of weapons, grinding for good equipment for my characters is straight up painful. Especially the part when you need to pray to RNJesus to get artifacts with the stats you desire. The fact that some quests are locked behind the adventure rank is annoying as well, ESPECIALLY when I liked the first part of the quest. I want to know what will happen next right now! I don't want to grind 10 levels for that! ;-; And the combat is just...not fun. I like the elemental reactions which give you the opportunity to mix-up your team, but the combat itself... Let's just say I don't like how if you knocked your opponent a few meters away your character will INSTANTLY change their focus. I guess it's not a big deal for people playing on mobile, but on PC/console not being able to lock onto a certain enemy is just really uncomfortable. And last, but certainly not least, I don't like limited-time events. I mean...They make sense for a constantly updating free-to-play game but it's so upsetting when you had no chance to play and there was something cool as a reward, and now it's just "woops haha too bad you missed this cool thing everyone else has you most likely will never get!".

Of course I'm happy for people who can truly enjoy this game. I tried to be unbiased. I tried to ignore things I don't like. But it ended up backfiring at me with huge frustration.
Maybe one day...
edit: silly typo

Last edited:
Among us. I tried to get into it but, eh. It's just not my thing. Good thing the popularity of the game calmed down

Warframe, Planetside 2, and generally those large f2p multiplayer things. Mostly cause I'm not into the genre usually but the community and players used to be pretty elitist, at least here at the time.

Also a lot of RTS and a lot of quirky indie games and stuff that either ran/was made poor or just uninteresting. The exception was Sunset, I absolutely loved that one to death.

Minecraft. It makes me physically sick.

Actually, that applies to a number of games. I can't play anything from a first person perspective, with 'blocky' graphics, or with super low framerates. I felt like a total wimp when I had to modify a Super Mario Party session in the TBTWC because the intense lag was making me feel nauseated.

Dishonored
I love the art direction of the game (Bioshock is still one of my favorites) but something about the gameplay just never clicked for me.

I'm just gonna say it: Super Smash Bros. I don't understand the appeal of these games AT ALL. These games are obviously extremely popular but I've just never been interested.

Honestly, which popular games am I into? lolol. I feel like so many I'm not into: Zelda, Fortnite, Among Us, COD, any FPS tbh, most RPGs, Genshin Impact, any MMOs, Overwatch, Rocket League and Pokemon Go.

Persona and Danganronpa. Tried playing both and didn’t see the appeal.

Also yeah, Danganronpa. I tried one game for Vita and while I liked character designs I couldn't get into it. But then I never liked Phoenix Wright either; I was better off watching them than playing cause you would have needed a guide anyway.

A lot of the popular Battle Royales - Fortnite, PUBG, Warzone, Apex Legends - not my type of game. While I like spectating occasionally, I don’t enjoy playing Dota 2, League, Valorant, or Overwatch either.

Minecraft. It makes me physically sick.

Actually, that applies to a number of games. I can't play anything from a first person perspective, with 'blocky' graphics, or with super low framerates. I felt like a total wimp when I had to modify a Super Mario Party session in the TBTWC because the intense lag was making me feel nauseated.

I thought it was just me that got nauseous when I played. While I am not glad you had the misfortune to feel sick, it relieves me to know that I am not the only one (i hope that made sense; I mean, if i was the only one, then that might tell me i maybe need to see the doctor). That is part of why I don’t like Minecraft; I also don’t like it because I thought it was hard and didn’t like the zombies (I know there is a mode without them). Not fun playing by myself either. I only played it with one person who I have zero plans to play anything with again sadly.

FFVII - i only played 30 minutes of it sometime after I beat FFVIII for the first time and I honestly couldn’t get into it. When I still played FFRK, I started to be a little interested in it but still, not feeling motivated to play it anytime soon. Plus I still need to beat XII.

Smash and Mario Kart: I think it is mostly because I suck and don’t know how to stay on the track (MK), lose focus on which one is my fighter (Smash) and also I suck at spiking and all those other techniques. Mario Kart, I fall off anywhere there is a jump.

League of Legends: Never played but watched my ex rage and he was scary; and I heard stories of people breaking their computers and stuff over it.

Overwatch: used to like it but I hated how I was always the only one defending and then everyone just spams good job to be toxic, not to mention people leaving in the middle which cost us games. I should have stuck with non ranked matches :/.

There may be more but that’s all I can think of right now.

After playing ACNH for almost a year straight I wanted to try other farming/life sims and bought My Time at Portia after reading great reviews about it online, but ended up not liking it at all. The dialogue is insanely repetitive which makes the characters (including romance-able characters) so dry and boring. There are also extremely limited furniture items to decorate your house and yard with, and even less clothing options. I thought the fighting aspect was cool at first but that also got repetitive fast. The last straw for me was that I couldn't find a motive or goal in the game to work towards after discovering there were no more clothing, furniture, or housing options that I wanted to buy or save up for. Overall I just couldn't connect with the game and stopped playing it.

I also didn't like the game Aer: Memories of Old even though it got great reviews online. I especially didn't like the ending, but the overall game play was also just boring to me, and I found it too dialogue/lore heavy to the point where the story was extremely confusing.

never could get into breath of the wild. i think it is a very beautiful game with good lore BUT... i can be picky with fantasy universes like zelda and half the fun of games in it's genre is, for me, creating and playing as your own character! breakable weapons and stamina are also huge pet peeves of mine in RPGs XD

Genshin Impact for me.
i couldn't get into genshin either!! sorta different reasons for me though. i can tolerate crappy gacha systems, i'm used to them from playing games like bandori and idolmaster, but genshin is just.... NOT my kinda game in any way. to the point where i'm not even interested in trying. i don't really like the aesthetic, most of the characters don't interest me, the gameplay seems boring to me, and all those combined with an unfair gacha just wouldn't be fun for me. genshin has started to kinda annoy me so i've blacklisted the tag on tumblr and twitter. SORRY TO MY FRIENDS WHO LIKE IT i can understand the appeal and respect it <:3

-Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild. I didn't like the new format at all.
-Stardew Valley. Honestly I don't really like farming sims but I was forced to play it and yeah, I don't see the appeal at all.
-Pokemon SWSH is probably the worst game I've played in the series. The story is repetitive from the past few games. Some mystery/lore about extra powerful Pokemon and your rival wanting to be like a family member and has a slightly chaotic personality. It's just unoriginal.

All of them. I don’t care for the old or new style, and I have a strong dislike for the fandom as well.
Ah good to know! I was interested in trying P5 since I've heard good things about it, but that would require me to buy both the game and a PS3 so like... Haha.

Edit: Plus I don't even know if I'd like the game either.

Back