"Popular" and "Rare" villagers - A sort of rant.

A lot of people have similar taste--if most people had to choose between a horse and a unicorn, the unicorn would probably be more popular. Especially since hey, we're all playing ACNL, we must have somewhat similar taste in SOMEthing to be led to the same game. I don't think there's anything wrong with people liking the same things.

The list of popular villagers isn't like two or three, there are actually a decent amount whose names come up often and are considered popular even if they aren't Julian himself. With villagers constantly moving in and out, I don't see how you could never have one.

You're saying it's weird that most people have at least one popular villager...but I feel like you answered your own question when you said you have three popular villagers just because they were available. To me, if people aren't chasing them, they come across them because it's hard not to have one in a town of ten villagers.

<3333 this post completely.

Last edited:
It's because they're liked by so many people that they became popular, rather than people liking them simply because they are popular. I agree with you on the 'rare' comment though - well, excluding the octopi.

I've plenty of popular villagers but I didn't particularly go looking for them: someone gave me Marshal for free; Diana was a starter in a reset town; Beau, Whitney, and Lolly just randomly showed up in my campsite; and Julian's house plot somehow spawned while I was resetting for a nice uchi yesterday. :)

Last edited:
I would never consider how bored someone else would be with my town because they see my villagers too much in other towns, lol. Why should I put some random stranger's potential opinion above who I want living in my town?

I've said it several times on these forums and I'll continue - not liking something just because everyone else does is just as inane as liking it because others do.

My town has a mix of popularish villagers (Lucky, Molly, Henry, Zell) and unpopular villagers (Sylvia, Canberra, Sparro)- they're all awesome. I don't care about other people's preferences, unexamined or not, but what I don't like about the rush to acquire trendy villagers is seeing lesser known villagers get talked about and treated like garbage. Yes, even if they are only pixels. It's like the worst of high school all over again.

I don't have all of the same popular villagers! :p Well, is Willow considered popular? I have no idea... o.o but I actually just happened to get her in my campsite and she acted so cute, I just had to convince her to move in! Some of my favorite villagers aren't considered "popular," I think. I could be wrong though. I'm seeing a lot of these rants lately, though, I have to wonder - do people even back-read threads? Just saying. >_>

All my villagers are great. They all moved in naturally except Elvis who I fell for when He was camping! :3x<3

I would never consider how bored someone else would be with my town because they see my villagers too much in other towns, lol. Why should I put some random stranger's potential opinion above who I want living in my town?

I've said it several times on these forums and I'll continue - not liking something just because everyone else does is just as inane as liking it because others do.

Lol this!

Who cares, anyway? This is like some complaining the Eeveelutions are too popular in Pokemon when someone uses one on their team.

The only reason that they are popular In my opinion Is because they're different or cute.For example.Who would think Nintendo would be a Unicorn,a Octopus In a game?Certainly not me..

The desirability of some villagers like Marshal and Diana dropped for me once I saw how many people wanted him. They'll be difficult to obtain for one, and like you said, I don't want visitors to think that they're seeing the same thing in my town since I already have a few popular villagers that have been there from the beginning.

I personnaly am not influenced at all by people wanting to have 'popular' villagers. For instance, Tangy, I belive she is really ugly. Her face makes me think of acn? and all and kinda gross me out (like when I have acn?)
Julian came in my town naturally and when I checked his name on wikipedia I thought he was really horrible I was like WTF a unicorn! (But then h? was a sweetheart to me so I forgave him for his girly look :3 but then I traded him against Filibert my childhood buddy!)
Then there's marina, one of my starters, ugly as hell, she looked sloopy and all. I voided her haha.

Then less popular: Mira, Kabuki, Deirdre all given to people.

My dreamies list was decided before I even knew the popularity of most of them and it's pretty much completely in-demand characters. I don't think it's fair of you to say that popularity is a deciding factor in which villagers people like best, they're simply just the most appealing to people. I mean, Animal Crossing is a generally cutesy game, so chances are people are going to gravitate to the "cutest"/prettiest characters. Most of the popular characters are cute and pretty, thus...

Last edited:
Meep. Why do people have to be so concerned about someone else's opinion on villagers? I'll admit it's tiring to see the same villagers in a majority of my friends towns, but it's not like I'm going to expect them to conform to my standards.

Live and let live, people. ~_~

But what if you actually like the popular villagers? I liked Beau and Marshal WAY before the game was released here. I love some unpopular villagers too.

I don't think it would be fair for someone to just assume that if they saw Beau in my town that I only got him because he was popular. I just REALLY like him and never plan on putting him up for bid or adoption. I would hope someone seeing Fauna wouldn't assume that either. She was actually one of the villagers that met me at the gate when I first started.

Meep. Why do people have to be so concerned about someone else's opinion on villagers? I'll admit it's tiring to see the same villagers in a majority of my friends towns, but it's not like I'm going to expect them to conform to my standards.

Live and let live, people. ~_~

^ Seriously. Why is it any of your business?

And why does somebody wanting a popular villager automatically mean that they only want them because they're popular? That's a daft mentality to have.

You should find something worth complaining about, instead of trying to hate on other people for something that has no affect on you.

I have Katt and I love her! She definitely has grown on me more and more. She's so cute!
I have Ankha and she is one of my best friends, I never realized how popular she was until recently but it makes sense.
None of my other villagers ever even get talked about it seems like.. I have Portia who I think is SO CUTE and should be way more popular! Peewee, Moe, Tammi, Cally, Phil, Buck who I HATE and want to get rid of, and Chops who is moving out.

Back