• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Physical or Digital Copy?

Which version do you plan on purchasing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh okay thanks. I just checked and I have 30k blocks on my xl so Im fine.
Whats with the cartridge thing? Whats different with the ones theyre using with NL or am I making things up

I preordered the game because I would like a physical copy of the game. I don't plan on switching carts for a long time.

Oh okay thanks. I just checked and I have 30k blocks on my xl so Im fine.
Whats with the cartridge thing? Whats different with the ones theyre using with NL or am I making things up

I kinda forgot but I think they are modified so that they save more data because New Leaf is a big game.

Woah they sell them straight from the 3DS shop? Hmm....
Well I love having the case and guide so the copy of it!~

The game uses SLC-NAND, allowing more durability and space compared to MLC-NAND. The former is useful since the game will obviously have a lot of write and read. Both SLC and MLC includes a battery to allow these processes to happen in a game card.

Physical copies aren't really safer than digital ones. If you are unlucky enough to break/lose/corrupt your game card, you'll have to cough another $40 to buy another copy. They are also much easier to misplace than the 3DS system itself, considering on how small they are and the fact that most of you tend to switch game cards rather often.
In case your SD card goes kaput, you lose everything on the SD card. Once you got a spare SD card, you can simply redownload all of the titles you've downloaded in the past without any charge. Also, many games let you backup saved data (if you know how to do it). Sadly, ACNL isn't one of those games.

There's positives and negatives to both sides. ><
For digital, I like the fact that I can ALWAYS have it with me and I won't have to worry about losing it.
As for physical, it's just the little satisfaction you get by having the little guide and box and cartridge and everything~ c:
I think I'll probably end up getting a physical copy though. If I preorder a copy at my local GameStop, I can slowly pay as I please. For digital, I'll need to have all the money, buy a card, then buy it on the shop... blah. xD​

I like the idea of a digital copy but primarily because I'm a collector. Also, I don't like the idea of my game potentially getting deleted/corrupted and, despite the fact that Nintendo keeps tabs our purchases, I'd rather avoid any system that requires paying for downloads over 20$ but that's just because I don't like technology in general.

I like the idea of a digital copy but primarily because I'm a collector. Also, I don't like the idea of my game potentially getting deleted/corrupted and, despite the fact that Nintendo keeps tabs our purchases, I'd rather avoid any system that requires paying for downloads over 20$ but that's just because I don't like technology in general.

Physical copies can become corrupted as well.
I'll still be buying a physical and be downloading it digitally.

Physical copies can become corrupted as well.
I'll still be buying a physical and be downloading it digitally.

oh snap, that's never happened to me. Thanks for the heads up!

I really love Nintendo for how good they are to their customers.
This one time my Gamecube just stopped working and the warranty had been expired for years. They fixed it for free though so I guess that's why I'm inclined to want physical copies. Living in a major city, I have an official Nintendo repair shop that I can just stroll over to bring my broken stuff to, hahaha.

Definitely physical :) I don't really like the digital downloading feature, as convenient as that sounds.

Definitely Physical. The moment Nintendo said they were going to do full digital downloads I was like I don't think so. But I know in some cases that digital games can come out even 3 weeks earlier than the physical copy. For instance I know that Style Savvy: Trendsetters digital copy came out A LOT earlier than the physical one.

tl;dr: Physical if physical and digital copy release dates are aligned, digital if coming out weeks earlier.

I'm going to go with Physical, I like the idea of physically owning something better than having it "digitally"...

Physical, because I know at one point I'll forgot that I own the game and spend hours looking for it, when in reality it'd be on the 3DS.

Unless if they have digital released a week in advance, in which case, I'll go digital.

I'm wondering. If you get a physical copy, does all the data save to the cartridge, or the 3DS? If it saves to the cartridge, can you put it in other 3DS systems and it will load the same town and everything?

Also, if it saves to the cartridge, can you send the data to save in your 3DS/SD card? I don't like the idea of my town saving to an exterior cartridge. I'd rather it save to my 3DS/SD Card.

I'm wondering. If you get a physical copy, does all the data save to the cartridge, or the 3DS? If it saves to the cartridge, can you put it in other 3DS systems and it will load the same town and everything?

Also, if it saves to the cartridge, can you send the data to save in your 3DS/SD card? I don't like the idea of my town saving to an exterior cartridge. I'd rather it save to my 3DS/SD Card.

Someone else might to have to answer that one, but something I remember with City folk was that when I went to my cousin's house and I put my copy of ACCF in it, it loaded her town, not mine, since it was her wii. So I wonder if that's the same problem on the 3DS this time...

Someone else might to have to answer that one, but something I remember with City folk was that when I went to my cousin's house and I put my copy of ACCF in it, it loaded her town, not mine, since it was her wii. So I wonder if that's the same problem on the 3DS this time...

Nothing saves on a disc so your copy of City Folk was no different than your cousin's. The town was stored/saved in the Wii. New Leaf will be different. A physical copy will save on the cartridge while a digital copy saves on the SD card. You can technically have 2 towns if you want if you buy a digital copy and a physical copy.

Back