pet peeves / lil stuff you cant stand

People who say “uh-huh” every 5 seconds when you’re explaining something to them. They think it makes them seem like they’re listening, but really they are too focused on seeming like they’re listening to actually listen.

The seam on the end of socks, especially when it sits right under your toes and you can feel it there.

People who shame people for liking things. If it’s not hurting anyone, who cares? They’re happy, shut up and let them enjoy their show/game/hobby.

People who pick fights for no reason and deliberately stir up arguments. It’s one thing if it’s a topic really really important to you, but some people seem to just enjoy making people upset for no reason.

Old people (especially men) talking down to young people (especially women). I work in customer service and this happens to me a lot. They think they know better than I do because I’m young.

When you burn your tongue on a hot drink.

Cold in general.

When it rains for a long time (not like a summer thunderstorm that lasts for an afternoon, I love those) but when it rains for literal days or weeks and is just gray the whole time

When people don’t respect that I don’t want kids and have to explain to me why I’m wrong.

I’m sure I’ll think of more later :p

People who shame people for liking things. If it’s not hurting anyone, who cares? They’re happy, shut up and let them enjoy their show/game/hobby.

People who pick fights for no reason and deliberately stir up arguments. It’s one thing if it’s a topic really really important to you, but some people seem to just enjoy making people upset for no reason.

Old people (especially men) talking down to young people (especially women). I work in customer service and this happens to me a lot. They think they know better than I do because I’m young.

When people don’t respect that I don’t want kids and have to explain to me why I’m wrong.

I agree with the first, I think it's mostly those overly loud annoying fanpeople that ruins that thought for most :V

Lol, yeah I've seen that too much on forums, like.. you don't have to post your right-con stuff everywhere just to provoke ugh.

Ohh yeah gotta love those male Karens(Karls?). Been working at a second hand store and I had so many males coming in and buying just do deliberately complain at us.. like.. chill..

Yeah or they will be "omg you will regret that in 5 years" like.. no? I'd go get my stuff snipped in a heartbeat if it was easier right now.

Seeing others instantly judge or label someone hurts my heart.

For example: I was sitting with someone at a restaurant and we see a woman come in on one of those ride-on scooters. Their immediate words were along the lines of: "she wouldn't have to use that if she exercised instead of being lazy." Or if someone makes a mistake and is immediately called "dumb."

People who give off a "dumb love island person" look/way vibe and then get mad if someone looks at them or such... like okay then don't size up your chest if you want to stay private lol

People who give off a "dumb love island person" look/way vibe and then get mad if someone looks at them or such... like okay then don't size up your chest if you want to stay private lol
i am confused, what does this mean?

Diesel engine cars. They sound like miniature jet planes and the drivers always seem to speed. It’s even worse when one drives past while you’re walking down the street.

People who comment or gossip about others within earshot. It’s so shameless and rude.

I thought I’d add a new one because I’m tired and grouchy.

People who let their dogs bark all night long. How do you not hear it inside your own house? How does it not bother you when it barks and cries all night long? Dogs are both denning and pack animals you can’t leave it all alone at night with no comfortable place to sleep like a dog house and expect it to be happy.

Yeah, I’m experiencing one right now actually. It’s called the please-have-some-basic-decency-and-don’t-make-a-ton-of-noise-when-I’m-trying-to-get-out-of-bed pet peeve. I will never room with anyone who doesn’t respect my peace and quiet time when waking up.

i have really bad misophonia to the point where it's debilitating so i could probably hit character limit with just sounds that make me lose it LMAO

FEET. D R A G G I N G.
Right?! It so annoying to listen to. Just pick up your feet, please!
And then they complain that they trip on stuff. Well, yeah! If you'd just walk properly, that would happen less.

when people talk to me while my headphones are in and get mad when I ask them to repeat themselves.

when people talk to themselves. I’m not sure why it bugs me so much. I’ve read that talking to yourself is a sign of intelligence, but I just hate it I’m always wondering should I be listening to this or pretend nothing is happening.
I don't know about you, but when I have my headphones on I have them on for two reasons: 1, I'm listening to something and/or 2, I don't want to be bothered by others. I say "or" because I sometimes just wear my headphones with nothing playing because I hope it deters others from thinking that I'm up for a talking. Also, I don't wear earbuds, I wear headphones; so, you can't say that they can't see them. Yet, while I rode the bus to school, people still wanted to start up a conversation. Like, no, leave me alone. I don't know you and I don't want to. Then there is my mom...like, the other day she was cleaning and playing her country music. She actually told me to put on some headphones if I don't like her music, so I do. And who decides they want to talk to me? Right, my mom. Like, seriously?!

You read it as a sign of intelligence? Ha! I was told it was a sign of insanity, being an only child, or lack of social interaction. Nice. Really though, I wanted to say sorry on behalf of those that talk to themselves as I have a tendency to talk to myself and I completely understand where you're coming from. Of course it is rude. You're in the room with someone and they talk to themself as if you're not there. I used to do that a lot with my mother in the room. Or I'd talk to myself in the other room and she'd come in asking if I was talking to someone...uh, no, I'm not. Now though, I wait till I'm alone since it's kinda embarrassing to have someone hear you talking to yourself but also because I tend to pace and I've been told pacing makes others nervous.

Also, the plural of octopus is octopuses, not octopi.
Whoa! Whoa, wait. The plural of octopus is not octopi?! My life is a lie!
Wait, please tell me, the plural of cactus is cacti, right?

people scratching cutlery on porcelain plates
Oh, the sound of scrapping is awful. Thankfully, the noise doesn't affect me too badly, but it is unpleasant.

This, right here. What's wrong with me not wanting kids? What's worng with me not wanting to be in a relationship? What's wrong with me with just wanting to live my life comfortably on my own? They act like I am doing a disservice by not wanting to have the 'american dream life'. They act like I just don't know what I want yet. "Oh, you'll have a boyfriend soon." No. "Oh, you'll want kids some day." No. I think my grandma, my mother's side of the family, has dropped it. I think they've come to terms that I'm not going to have a family. My father's side...well, they're conservative and christian...so, yeah. My father's step sister had the gall to say, "Things happen," while talking about getting pregnant. I'm angry about this because she was talking about the possibly of getting drunk and getting pregnant that way. Like, seriously?! Is she seriously thinking that I'm going to, not only go to a party, but also loose my inhibitions and let someone take advantage of me like that? Is that what happened to her to get her kid? Ugh, how dare she say something like that.

Adding to the list, I don't like the sound of people clipping their nails.

I prefer the kitchen cabinet doors to be closed, not left wide open.

Please, don't leave trash in the sink. That's not where that goes.

I hate when the lights are turned on when I am trying to go to sleep. When I lived at the old apartment, I would leave my door open since I have a cat and I don't want to lock them in or out of my room. Ma always flicks on the hallway lights when she leaves her room. It's awful. Now we are living in an in law apartment since I'm only going to be here for less than 3 more months and she only needs one bedroom. That does mean that I am in the living room, for now. Thankfully, the hallway light burnt out and she has yet to get around to changing it. So, that's nice.

Food having a crunch when it shouldn't have a crunch.

People trying to talk to me while I am focused on doing something. I can get snappy when I'm trying to do something and am interrupted, especially if I am having trouble with what I am currently working on. It's so easy to get irritated. Since I am more aware of my problem, I am trying to not come off as so verbally irked, but it is difficult for me to not have an attitude. Additionally, if I'm having difficulties with something, that can also bother me enough to get verbally and visibly angry. No, I'm not angry at you, I'm angry at this. Just let me be angry for a second and I'll figure it out and be content afterwards. May even laugh about how simple the solution was. Sorry, it's not you, I'm just easily frustrated.

Some of these have already been said, but here are my pet peeves:

People talking or generally being disruptive at the movie theater. I paid a lot of money for my tickets. It's a rare treat for me to go to the theater and I want to enjoy the movie, not listen to you have a conversation with your friends about your ex. Just an example, but this type of thing seriously happens way too much. Talk to your friends outside of the theater please.

People not paying attention to others and blocking walkways. Again, this happens far too often. If you want to stop and have a conversation, please move out of the main walkway. If you are walking slowly, don't take up the entire aisle. I've literally had people weaving back and forth in the walkway in front of me with their earbuds in and not letting me pass. Just be aware of your surroundings and don't take up the whole area please.

People driving too slowly. I don't have all day. I have a ton of errands to run, I have to get to work, I have chores at home. I just want to go the speed limit and if you can't drive the speed limit, then you can at least let me pass you. I can't stand when I pass someone driving 15 miles below the speed limit only to have them speed up, jump in front of me, and then slow down again. Why must you do that?!? What did I do that makes you want to purposefully hold me up?

People who can't chew with their mouth closed and make smack noises. Absolutely disgusting. If there is no medical reason that prevents you from chewing with decency, then chew with your mouth closed! Ain't no one wanna hear all that! There is a worker at my store who does this, it's extremely gross and makes me skin crawl. I have to blast my music with earbuds to drown him out.

Another thing people do at work, listen to their shows/gospel on their phone, full blast, with no earbuds. Really? There is a cheapy store down the plaza, go buy you some earbuds. Again, no one wants to hear your Pottwa/Keriol idk what language angry men shouting at each other.

People speaking Spanish to me (my skintone makes me look like I don't know a single word in Spanish, I am pale af), I tell them in Spanish that I don't speak Spanish, then they CONTINUE to speak to me in Spanish. What part of yo soy no habla Español do you not get?

i so relate to the not being able to concentrate in school with people talking !! especially if its reading something;; i got used to just like listening to rain sounds w my earbuds in LOL. but my other pet peeves are interrupting and slow/dry texters + people who get jealous and then treat u like major **** cause of it

I don't like it when people are passive aggressive or when I'm being rushed, especially if my pace doesn't affect the other person

I can't stand the sound of ice on ice. It physically hurts.. :(

As a social worker, it really really upsets me when other service providers (who should know better) talk down to my clients - even in front of them. Or when they make it unnecessarily difficult to access services

Back