• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

OCs and the creation of them.

Ace Marvel

Merry & Happy
Bells
Switch
6012-8136-6825
Red Star Fragment
Green Star Fragment
Blue Star Fragment
Shooting Star
Rainbow Star Fragment
Sheep Plush
Purple Star Fragment
Celeste Chick Plush
White Star Fragment
Mom's Plush
Hi! Recently I've been more and more invested in Original Characters. I have one, but is mainly based on me sharing most of the traits, and I use it in all my video games as an avatar and art I commission. But I would really like to know if I'm the only one that do this? When you create an OC, what is your process? Do you have more than one? Do they exist on the same universe?

sometimes in my younger days id make characters that are considered OC but i get so invested in them they look over designed and dont look as nice as i imagined them lol i usually just give them attributes that i like to draw or think are pretty, they're never in the same universe ill try to look for ones i made but none of them are recent

sometimes in my younger days id make characters that are considered OC but i get so invested in them they look over designed and dont look as nice as i imagined them lol i usually just give them attributes that i like to draw or think are pretty, they're never in the same universe ill try to look for ones i made but none of them are recent

May I ask how do you came up with their concept, it was based on something or you started from scratch? I f you find one, I would love to see them.

May I ask how do you came up with their concept, it was based on something or you started from scratch? I f you find one, I would love to see them.
most of them are characters from scratch based of features i like, for example a certain hairstyle or a certain outfit

i just remembered this one OC i had, made him with my friends when we made comics for fun:
on the right is my OC Noah, i made him back in 2013
trio_of_freaks.jpg

he is a young boy who is addicted to eating flowers, his friend in the middle is Gary who is addicted to pinatas and on the left is a girl who i dont remember her name, she thinks she's invisible (both Gary and the girl are not by me, however, i drew that lol)

here's another one, i think my most recent OC
this is Mika, better known as Mimi
20171128_231141.jpg

made her in 2017 i think, she is the only female member of an idol group me and my friends made called GRAVITY99
here's a full shot of all the members, drawing by MMairo
groupshot.png

wonder if i can find any more, i know there must be some but my memory is so bad rip

most of them are characters from scratch based of features i like, for example a certain hairstyle or a certain outfit

i just remembered this one OC i had, made him with my friends when we made comics for fun:
on the right is my OC Noah, i made him back in 2013
View attachment 266031
he is a young boy who is addicted to eating flowers, his friend in the middle is Gary who is addicted to pinatas and on the left is a girl who i dont remember her name, she thinks she's invisible (both Gary and the girl are not by me, however, i drew that lol)

here's another one, i think my most recent OC
this is Mika, better known as Mimi
View attachment 266032
made her in 2017 i think, she is the only female member of a boy band me and my friends made called GRAVITY99
here's a full shot of all the members, drawing by MMairo
View attachment 266033

wonder if i can find any more, i know there must be some but my memory is so bad rip

Thank you for sharing! I love the backstories and that you created them with friends, that made them special.

I have three OCs. The two I created were back in high school which was around three years ago. The third one was inspired by a random person I met from Tortimer island a long time ago. It's actually based on their clothing and not the person themselves so it's all good. I want to keep the details vague, but they're all animals. I do the best of my ability to give them unique traits, strengths, and flaws. Basically anything that doesn't kill my OCs. Because of Animal Crossing, I've been heavily inspired to get my creative juices flowing. My huge dream? it's to make an animated T.V. show using those OCs and combining the things I loved throughout my life. The downside though is that I'm not entirely good at storytelling. I can visualize what a story would be like, but the execution is all over the place. I'm not going to give up, however! I believe I can reach the stage of making a good storyline if I keep practicing.

hmm... i usually start out with designing my ocs, giving them traits, adding relationships with friends and family as the story develops. (basically building them up over time) i usually ask myself how has their past shaped them to who they are in the present, and in result, what would they do in the future from prior events/life experiences? i also tend to put little bits of myself in my characters, whether it be traits or similar experiences i've had because it helps to understand and sympathize with them better. and yes, all my ocs live in the same universe! i think it'd be too chaotic for me to work with several different worlds as i don't have a habit of writing my ocs stories down, though i am slowly beginning to do so

I have three OCs. The two I created were back in high school which was around three years ago. The third one was inspired by a random person I met from Tortimer island a long time ago. It's actually based on their clothing and not the person themselves so it's all good. I want to keep the details vague, but they're all animals. I do the best of my ability to give them unique traits, strengths, and flaws. Basically anything that doesn't kill my OCs. Because of Animal Crossing, I've been heavily inspired to get my creative juices flowing. My huge dream? it's to make an animated T.V. show using those OCs and combining the things I loved throughout my life. The downside though is that I'm not entirely good at storytelling. I can visualize what a story would be like, but the execution is all over the place. I'm not going to give up, however! I believe I can reach the stage of making a good storyline if I keep practicing.

Wow that's a big dream, I'm sure you will make it, use the help of others if your are having trouble with the storytelling. If I learn something is that it's okay to ask for help. Thank you for sharing, when your show is super popular I will tell everyone I know some bts info, not available to the public. :)

hmm... i usually start out with designing my ocs, giving them traits, adding relationships with friends and family as the story develops. (basically building them up over time) i usually ask myself how has their past shaped them to who they are in the present, and in result, what would they do in the future from prior events/life experiences? i also tend to put little bits of myself in my characters, whether it be traits or similar experiences i've had because it helps to understand and sympathize with them better. and yes, all my ocs live in the same universe! i think it'd be too chaotic for me to work with several different worlds as i don't have a habit of writing my ocs stories down, though i am slowly beginning to do so

When designing them do you draw them? I like that you create a world around them, if I ever have some, I will do the same. Since I have one, I might give him a backstory and traits and start from there. Thank you for sharing.

omg brbfjcbcjs this is bringing back so many memories trying to remember old OCs from early high school.... i distinctly remember i created this forest-dwelling sprite character that i named Bassett (it means small in some language or something) and he had 3 yellow eyes and pink hair. then later i created another character named Calypso and they had a sort of galaxy / celestial character design. this was like freshman year haha. aw i kinda miss making OCs now ngl, i wish i never sold my wacom

but uhh to create them sometimes i’d just brainstorm aimlessly, but usually an idea for a backstory randomly came to me and i’d get super inspired to sketch some designs out until i decided on something i really enjoyed (and would later become protective over lmao)

omg brbfjcbcjs this is bringing back so many memories trying to remember old OCs from early high school.... i distinctly remember i created this forest-dwelling sprite character that i named Bassett (it means small in some language or something) and he had 3 yellow eyes and pink hair. then later i created another character named Calypso and they had a sort of galaxy / celestial character design. this was like freshman year haha. aw i kinda miss making OCs now ngl, i wish i never sold my wacom

but uhh to create them sometimes just brainstorm aimlessly, but usually an idea for a backstory randomly comes to me and i’m super inspired to sketch some designs out until i decide on something i really enjoy.

Those two sound interesting, where did you find the inspiration for them? Thanks for sharing!

Those two sound interesting, where did you find the inspiration for them? Thanks for sharing!
i quickly edited my 1st post and added some ways that i’d come up w ideas, but for Bassett specifically i just was really into forest themed stuff like pixies, fairies, sprites and nymphs! so i looked up some mythical looking characters and settings and drew inspo from that. as for calypso i just wanted to make a cute friend for bassett and thought the celestial theme would go well w his nature-y, magical forest vibe!

I don't have any OCs (though I had a couple when I was younger and was just starting out with painting programs and stuff).
My townie/mayor/resident rep is named after me, and generally wears clothes/ hairstyles I would consider wearing. It can be a bit restrictive though, so I think it's super cool to see you all put so much thought and effort into designing these characters!! It sounds like a super fun way to play.

of course! drawing is what made me develop my ocs in the first place! it's really neat to see how much they've changed in the years both in personality and appearance c:

Well, I either make an OC if I'm just drawing and end up randomly drawing a character that I like the traits of. If I can sorta see a back story for them, I decide to make them an OC b/c I know the back story will compel me to want to draw them more.

I also try to make OCs when I feel like I haven't been drawing enough. I create them with the intention that their cool design will encourage me to draw.

My drawing process has always been go with the flow, so maybe I'll start off with a trait that I like, but usually, I start off with a line, and then just keep going where my hands take me lol.

I do have more than one OC, but I only consider one of them a real OC, b/c the back story is the only reason why I keep coming back to her. I think I've only drawn this one OC multiple time as opposed to other characters I draw. They usually end up being one-off. I'd like to think that some of them exist in the same universe.

I adore worldbuilding so... after role-playing for a few years I had a good list of original characters and modded them all a bit so they'd fit in better with the world! Then I made even more characters just based off of the world. I also make Oc's based off of old oc's, like relatives and old friends and lovers and all that! But otherwise, I just.. make characters I wanna play as or ones I wanna see in media!

Hoo boy, where do I start...

I don't really "create" OCs so much as they create themselves. Sometimes they're random ideas. Most of the time they're tied to a specific existing universe, especially videogames. Literally all characters I create for games myself end up as a more or less developed OC, so I've accumulated quite a few over my life as a gamer :)

Obviously, it starts with the visual traits, because videogame character creation. Then I'll play them and imagine how they would react in certain situations if only the game would let me DO those things, incorporate a few things that actually happen, and the rest, like their backstory etc. comes naturally. (Luckily this gives me a visual representation too, I can't draw to save my life. xD I've commissioned a few pieces in the past though.)

Sometimes I just like a universe enough to come up with OCs that aren't player characters, like two Pokémon OCs I'm roleplaying who would be NPCs if they were in Sun/Moon. They started out with a rough backstory idea and personality, but most of their story and relationships came from roleplaying them - never underestimate how much you can flesh out a character if you have someone else to help shape them :)

Sometimes I do crossovers with them too - I'll create three of my characters in AC as soon as I figure out where their houses go.

I have like 50+ OCs but only few of them have proper character development. Most of them don't exist in the same universe

Sorry I don't answer individually, I'm at work, but thanks for sharing, I'm getting a general idea of how to start, if I decide to create one.

Update: I was inspired by the anime Danganronpa and created to additional characters, the first one was made by errizzz (deviant art) and the other two by stinky_rat222 (instagram)
bOY91fw.png
bZE3xeH.png
cYBUfiB.png

For all of you that are unfamiliar with this anime, the general idea is that the characters are the Ultimates at their talent, for these 3 are Cartomancer, Mariachi and Etiquette. I'm working on their personalities and more details, but I had so much fun creating them.

My sister and I write stories for fun and we've created about 11 OCs so far. We haven't gone too deep into it but they're fun to write for. She even drew some of them which made them come to life!

Back