Nippon (Japan for u westerners)

nippon

• Total voters
Yeah I tried to do kanji bUT I CAN'T-- guess I'll just stick to Korean xD

- - - Post Merge - - -

Am I the only one that didn't think Spirited Away was good lmao

Honestly, when I saw how easy Korean was to learn, I thought to myself like "wow why didn't I just choose Korean culture to be interested in" lol, I like Korean culture just as much, but I don't have any Korean friends to try and keep up conversations with. It's the main reason I chose to learn some Japanese.

I like Japanese culture, but I'm not really that interested in their modern/pop culture. I'm mostly fascinated with their history, art, music, language, etc.

Last edited:
Like any country there are great things about Japan but bad things also. I like Japan though and I'd like to go there to see all the cultural differences. My Dad went and he loved it so it motivates me to go too!

God, what I wouldn't do for a kotatsu. XD

I'm pretty much interested in all cultures, but got interested in Japan culture younger because my great uncle worked there and brought us dolls and nice stuff. Later I read books and saw movies about Japan, then I met a Japanese exchange student and a missionary working there at a conference and found them very cool and interesting and started learning the language. I like different aspects of the culture, landscapes, food, etc. The pop otaku culture came much later >< ... I used to hate anime and not being that interested in manga.

I appreciate Japanese culture, like I think learning about the Yokai and myths of Japan is interesting, and I think the language is pretty cool (but I don't ever plan to learn it). I don't like anime though, and that seems to be the thing that most people associate with Japanese culture for some reason. I honestly don't find anime special at all, as it's just cartoons but from Japan, and I find it really sad that it seems like most people that I'm around only think of Japan as a place of anime and video games. (I do love Nintendo though, but I know that Nintendo doesn't define Japanese culture at all).

I really like Japanese culture. I like the music, the history, that especially the food~! I'm also an "otaku" i guess, cuz I like anime and manga and stuff, but I've grown out of my... weeaboo phase *cringes*. I'm going to Japan for a school trip in a year and a half so I'm pretty excited for that! Gonna buy a LOT of stuff!

I live in Japan and my husband is Japanese so I guess it's cool. They still use fax machines though, so minus 10 points.

I like some of his culture and their society but i don't really know much about it

and no, with culture im not meaning anime and jpop

i appreciate japanese culture. But there comes a point where people appreciate it too much to a point of almost fetishization. Like, yeah anime, pocky, and videogames are cool, but there are other parts of the culture that should be respected. Most "Otakus" just take the Weaboo part of it too far. Tis a shame cause my local japanese culture festival (Matsouri) almost banned cosplay due to people being rude/disrespectful to the non weaboo part of the culture

I don't think "Japanese culture" equals anime and pocky... Far from it.
Besides we all know pocky is disgusting anyways.

I obviously enjoy their foods, animation and games but I'd honestly love to just tour the country to visit some of the temples and other cultural sites.

I obviously enjoy their foods, animation and games but I'd honestly love to just tour the country to visit some of the temples and other cultural sites.

how dare you!

japan is absolutely amazing - i went there back in 9th grade with school because i studied japanese and it's such a wonderful place. i really want to go back with my bf if we can ever afford it.

Yeah I tried to do kanji bUT I CAN'T-- guess I'll just stick to Korean xD

- - - Post Merge - - -

Am I the only one that didn't think Spirited Away was good lmao

lol...i tried to watch Spirited Away because of all the critical acclaim it got..but really couldn't get into it..maybe i'll try to finish the movie someday....the movie is being re-released in theaters here sometime in December..lol...i really need to finish it so i can appreciate all the hype it's gotten...

Same. A lot of the really old Japanese culture is really interesting, but I know nearly nothing about it if I'm being honest.

I don't exactly consider myself an otaku, I don't know much about anime, manga, otaku culture, not near as anyone else that really know their stuff lol. I like watching and reading both though ^_^ I have friends that can own me naming shows they have watched and mangas they have read.

I think I'm just more into the "kawaii" stuff that comes from Japan. Like I'm pretty sure I'm coming back with so much stuff when I visit my boyfriend is gonna be mad at me lol.

Back