• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Nintendo Sued for 3Ds Copyright Infringement

Bacon Boy

Zelda Informer Podcaster
Bells
Dusty Scroll
October Birthstone (Opal)
Pear (Fruit)
ど
う
森
Yellow Candy
Yellow Candy
Red Candy
Red Candy
shacknews said:
Tomita Technologies recently brought suit against Nintendo for allegedly infringing on a patent filed in 2003 and issued in 2008. Patent 7417664--"Stereoscopic image picking up and display system based upon optical axes cross-point information"--does have some similarities to the recently-released 3DS. Primarily, the patent is for a "pick-up and display system" that can offer stereoscopic 3D imagery by displaying different images to each eye. The end result is 3D without glasses, a key feature of Nintendo's handheld.

"Nintendo's America's infringement of the '664 patent has been, and continues to be, willful," the complaint alleges, without detailing the exact nature of the infringement. Tomita claims to be damaged "in an amount not yet determined." The company is seeking a trial by jury, and awaits a decision by the court.

Nintendo is no stranger to litigation, with each platform launch eventually meeting a lawsuit. The Wii's motion controls and DS' touch controls have been the topic of previous suits.

We've reached out to Nintendo of America for comment.

source: http://www.shacknews.com/article/69180/nintendo-sued-over-3ds-screen

My favorite comment: "Patent law should be revised. I think that a working prototype should be required before patenting some stuff." That way, it wouldn't be put out there to be taken. Although it could have some drawbacks, it sounds like an okay idea.

This is a little off topic, but I saw a commercial for a phone that had 'No glasses 3-D'.

This was dumb, Nintendo released it first in stores, so how could they of copied it?
Besides, the 3ds has been known for a year now, and they JUST realized that was "their idea"?
Also, the person who sued them was an ex worker for Sony i believe

This is a little off topic, but I saw a commercial for a phone that had 'No glasses 3-D'.

Yeah, I've seen that too.

This is just another thing that big companies face. I HIGHLY doubt that Nintendo will lose.

This was dumb, Nintendo released it first in stores, so how could they of copied it?
Besides, the 3ds has been known for a year now, and they JUST realized that was "their idea"?
Also, the person who sued them was an ex worker for Sony i believe
I've seen a lot of people say that, ex-Sony worker or not, squatters suck. Hell, just file a patent on something you'll think will hit it big and then once it's raked in some cash, sue. It's stupid and annoying honestly.

source: http://www.shacknews.com/article/69180/nintendo-sued-over-3ds-screen

My favorite comment: "Patent law should be revised. I think that a working prototype should be required before patenting some stuff." That way, it wouldn't be put out there to be taken. Although it could have some drawbacks, it sounds like an okay idea.

This would not work. I did a lot of architecture work with my grandfather when he was patenting roofing designs for hurricane resistant roofs. Those took ten years for a prototype to be achieved. If you have an idea than it should be your idea and yours alone. How would you feel if you created something, and someone else that had more financial resources came along and reaped the benefits just because they could build it faster than you?

Back