• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Nintendo closing 3DS online servers

neptoons

wut
Bells
Blue Bunny Balloon
Hi all, this news only came out about an hour ago
As of April 2024 Nintendo will close the 3ds and Wii U online servers, meaning animal crossing and a lot of other games/software for the consoles will be heavily affected and a lot of it will become defunct :(
this means club tortimer, the dream suite, visiting other people's towns, best friends and *potentially* the ability to read QR codes will be obsolete. Obviously this marks a sad end of an era for nintendo as many of these online features are the reason why I and a lot of others play ACNL (occasionally).
this also means trading/selling flowers, items ETC will become inuseable as well.
Sorry to come across so strong, just saddens me a bit to see the 3ds follow the Wii/ds path even though this was foreseen for a little while.

Very sad news, indeed, however inevitable it might have been.

the ability to read QR codes will be obsolete
Anyone who knows better can correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm not mistaken, the QR codes don't actually connect to the internet, they just contain instructions for the 3DS to recreate the data. So I'm presuming that those will remain unchanged.

I heard about that this morning. I didn’t think it would happen so soon. I haven’t been online with NL in a long time but so many people still play. I feel bad for those that still want to go online with it. I kinda get it but kinda think they should wait longer before stopping online play.

that’s sad but we all saw it coming. i have wonderful memories from acnl trading and playing mk8 online with friends.

Anyone who knows better can correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm not mistaken, the QR codes don't actually connect to the internet, they just contain instructions for the 3DS to recreate the data. So I'm presuming that those will remain unchanged.

Yeah, the QR codes will live on.

Edited: Just tested it with a Mii on my 3DS with the internet switched off. The code still works.

Absolutely devastating news, not only for AC but for a lot of other games as well. I know that these are sot supposed to run forever but it's still sad

Will local multiplayer be affected? If so there goes everyone's last resort for getting any of the Host badges...

News of the 3DS server shutdowns has put me into a dilemma. I might need your answers.

Should I exploit this opportunity and start one last town in ACNL just so I can experience it a final time before I could no longer play online, or should I move on and say it isn’t worth it? It’s been six years since I last played ACNL, and I sold both of my copies to GameExchange. Having one more town could give me a taste of nostalgia, but I can remember how frustrating it is, and it’s hard to go back after three years of playing ACNH.

Very sad news. I will miss visiting towns and stuff. But I’m very glad to know QR codes will still work!

What about stuff we can just get from Club Tortimer? I hope they will release more Amiibo cards.

What about stuff we can just get from Club Tortimer? I hope they will release more Amiibo cards.
The things that appear on our own private island, yes
But for the stuff that only appear online, No and I doubt Nintendo is going to release cards for that stuff anytime soon. 😭
To be honest,I forgot about this until it was mentioned

Last edited:
What is exclusif to Club Tortimer apart the three wetsuits? I saw on some websites the bottled ship, box of chocolate, ukulele and whirlpool bath but I'm pretty sure I saw some of those items on my own island.

What is exclusif to Club Tortimer apart the three wetsuits? I saw on some websites the bottled ship, box of chocolate, ukulele and whirlpool bath but I'm pretty sure I saw some of those items on my own island.
This list has everything down.

Tortimer Island (Offline, you can find online too.)

Furniture:
All Cabana set
Diver Dan
Kitchen island
Life preserver
Life ring
All Mermaid set
Beach table
Beach chair
Sanshin
Treasure chest
Wave breaker

Clothing:
Blue wet suit
Green wet suit
Black wet suit
Blue aloha tee
Red aloha tee
Aloha shorts
Kappa-costume pants
Muumuu
Captain's hat
Hibiscus hairpin
Pirate's hat
Sailor's hat
Straw hat
Snorkel mask
Flip-flops

Wall/Floor:
Cabana wall
Mermaid wall
Tropical vista
Cabana flooring
Mermaid carpet
Tropical floor

Other:
Toy hammer
Red-hibiscus start
Y.-hibiscus start

Club Tortimer (Online exclusive only):
Furniture:
Bottled ship
Box of chocolates
Sand castle (Can find in Plucky's RV)
Sea globe (Can find in Pascal's RV)
Ukulele
Whirlpool bath

Clothing:
Orange wet suit
Pink wet suit
White wet suit
Striped wet suit
Kappa costume
Yellow aloha tee
Kappa cap

Other:
Silver axe (This is a big YIKES!)

Last edited:
I hope we can still go to the island, as long as the club Tortimer thing isn't involved.

It's all part of Nintendo's plan. They want you and your friends to move to the Switch to play online so you have to pay. Ingenious plan.

All jokes aside, I was disheartened when I saw @/AccfSally post this in random thoughts. I know it was guaranteed to happen, especially with the eshop closure, but still.

I'm pretty sure there's no distinction between "online" and "offline" items because I think I remember quite well finding a silver axe in my souvenir shop and also a white wetsuit. Basically in all the guides it is specified that if you join the Tortimer Club for 50 medals, from that moment will appear on your island the exclusive items of Club Tortimer, but you don't need online to join🙂
Obviously they are rarer items and therefore the possibility of visiting other islands increased the probability of seeing them, but with all the hacker cases I have heard (including a recent one reported on Reddit) I think in general it's better not to go there. The best thing remains to invite friends to your town and go with them to your island

I wanted to get my badge from the dream suite before they close the servers but it seems that I experience the "no more internet acnl" sooner than I expected. My 3DS doesn't see my modem anymore, I see the whole neighborhood wifi but not mine, I tried to reset it, nothing worked.

Back