• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Nintendo closing 3DS online servers

from what ive seen, the QR codes dont need internet? I dont think its asked me to connect at least. I am really sad about the dream suites tho, I think that's what bugs me the most. The club island stuff Ive never tried because all I heard was people soft locking / holding you ransom. But not being able to visit non-local and dream suites? :( very very sad.

from what ive seen, the QR codes dont need internet? I dont think its asked me to connect at least. I am really sad about the dream suites tho, I think that's what bugs me the most. The club island stuff Ive never tried because all I heard was people soft locking / holding you ransom. But not being able to visit non-local and dream suites? :( very very sad.

Yes! The qr code scanner works with the wireless connection, we don't need internet like in New Horizons (Nintendo did this for money obviously, not because you can't use wireless connection with the Switch)
Also to unlock the dreamsuite you simply have to connect the Nintendo to the wifi, I didn't go to the online Tortimer Island or anything (or at least that's what I remember in 2017)
But yes, the thing I'll miss most of all will be visiting the dream addresses😭

Hey, as a new player, what things should I do before April? (That otherwise I won't be able to access after April if I don't accomplish now)

I've already gotten the Dream Suite btw :)

Hey, as a new player, what things should I do before April? (That otherwise I won't be able to access after April if I don't accomplish now)

I've already gotten the Dream Suite btw :)
With the Welcome Amiibo update I think most furniture and the such is now available through the different RVs. Before WA some of the furniture could only be gotten by trading online with overseas users.

I think most things you can still do if you can't connect online unlike NH. It's obviously easier to do certain things online, however. There were special wifi presents, but that was back on release and they don't do that anymore.

The only thing would be the dream address. You won't be able to do that. So go check a few of those out before it's too late. You can still visit the island offline and last I heard the online island multiplayer was kind of dodgy with the hackers. So be careful if you decide to visit the island online.

Thanks! Island multiplayer is fine if it’s North America, but yeah there’s a lot of hackers when you choose international.

Thanks! Island multiplayer is fine if it’s North America, but yeah there’s a lot of hackers when you choose international.
I add trying to get the dream suite badge(the bronze one requires only 50 dreams) and the DLC items/amiibo items you want the most of all(if there are any)
You can use this catalogue:

Click where it says "more", write "DLC" in "obtained from" and then search, all the DLC items will come out.
For the welcome amiibo items, click "more" and then the welcome amiibo leaf, then search and you'll get all the RV's items.
You can order whatever you want in the Liz giveaway or in the Digimon's shop(check the Re-tail)

i wonder what they will do with the medals and such for those who have not obtained them before they close this? will it just be in limbo forever? ugh i still havent visited that many dream suites hahaha i better hurry up i guess!!!

@kakapo I remembered just now that you have to receive 100 visitors to unlock the train station renovation 🥲 this is one of the most painful things because it's not a very short process to do in so few months, I unlocked mine after years!

Oh dang, that sucks, I’ve only had 10 people visit probably
If anyone needs help, I can help them if they do the same for me haha

Oh dang, that sucks, I’ve only had 10 people visit probably
If anyone needs help, I can help them if they do the same for me haha
I think you can do that with the same person. So if you have a friend or a spare 3ds you could do it yourself if it gets pulled before you get around to it.

Thanks for the advice!

Unfortunately none of my friends play New Leaf and our household doesn’t have any more DSes

Hi all, this news only came out about an hour ago
As of April 2024 Nintendo will close the 3ds and Wii U online servers, meaning animal crossing and a lot of other games/software for the consoles will be heavily affected and a lot of it will become defunct :(
this means club tortimer, the dream suite, visiting other people's towns, best friends and *potentially* the ability to read QR codes will be obsolete. Obviously this marks a sad end of an era for nintendo as many of these online features are the reason why I and a lot of others play ACNL (occasionally).
this also means trading/selling flowers, items ETC will become inuseable as well.
Sorry to come across so strong, just saddens me a bit to see the 3ds follow the Wii/ds path even though this was foreseen for a little while.
my birthday is in april, what a nice gift from Nintendo!

I understand why this is happening but I sincerely wish I could prevent it and Im nervous I wont want to play anything without access to the online islands

I know I (and many others) have bashed NSO for being lackluster, but I actually wouldn't mind the 3DS getting paid online, I'm that desperate to save my childhood console.

The whole paying for online services is so stupid, I get wanting to make some money like Xbox and PlayStation are doing, but the services aren’t even good- you can’t message friends, no voice chat except for like 3 games on their app which is never used by anyone, and friend codes??? Still???
Especially when the membership price is DOUBLED if you want access to certain things like N64 games which are lack luster anyway. It’s honestly easier just pulling out my dad’s old system and playing the 3 N64 games he has.

3 N64 games he has.
Three?? 😱 Well, I suppose GoldenEye, Pilotwings 64 and Doubutsu no Mori would be enough for me to live off of, but still... only three? 🤯 I agree with your other points though. Nintendo's online membership is doo-doo. 💩 Hopefully the Wiimmfi service that allows the Wii to still be played online is able to do the same with the 3DS. 🤞🍀🙏

Wait he has 4: Golden Eye, Pilotwings, Mario Kart, and Perfect Dark
He used to have more but his buddy shared the system with him and he ended up taking more games I believe. Either that or it was just because they were super poor lol

Hi all, this news only came out about an hour ago
As of April 2024 Nintendo will close the 3ds and Wii U online servers, meaning animal crossing and a lot of other games/software for the consoles will be heavily affected and a lot of it will become defunct :(
this means club tortimer, the dream suite, visiting other people's towns, best friends and *potentially* the ability to read QR codes will be obsolete. Obviously this marks a sad end of an era for nintendo as many of these online features are the reason why I and a lot of others play ACNL (occasionally).
this also means trading/selling flowers, items ETC will become inuseable as well.
Sorry to come across so strong, just saddens me a bit to see the 3ds follow the Wii/ds path even though this was foreseen for a little while.
i feel like it really wouldnt be that expensive for nintendo to keep them up for a few more years

Back