• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

My honest thoughts on this update.

I feel like I'm the only one who's happy Book's Cranny didn't get an upgrade. I feel like it would have looked weird if this particular game had a giant emporium in it. The building would take up way too much space and look really giant and strange. I like how cute and small the shop is. Honestly, Nooks Cranny sells more stuff than the emporium. The emporium only sold like 4 furniture items and a bunch of silly trinkets while the Cranny sells like 6 or 7 items and everything you need. As for Brewster, I personally never cared for him as a whole. It's cool he's in the game. To me nothing is "missing* from the game. This isn't NL 2.0 it's a different game. They added over 9000+ items in the game all new. I don't even remember the NL furniture to be quite honest. I rather see new items not repeats of old things. Tortimer is fine too. Mini games to me are only fun with other people. If you don't have anyone to play with nor switch island.. Tortimer games are pointless. Kappn is fine as well. I like how he takes us to different mystery islands. I never liked him that much anyway so, that's me. Overall, very substantial update. Not disappointed at all and a friend bought me the DLC so, I'm very content.

we can’t work for brewster anymore’ why would i want to when i can make my own drinks now via cooking? and not working for brewster in cf or ww didn’t make those games any less enjoyable. also i quite like inviting npcs for coffee.

It would have been nice if we could work for him but it is fine we can’t. I liked figuring out how my villagers liked their coffee because I felt closer to them and liked learning things about them. Agree it does not make it less fun because now we can have coffee with NPC’s and villagers

no island mini games’ imo they were boring and repetitive and would require an overhaul to make them fun, enjoyable, and up to par with modern multiplayer games. i have no issue if the devs decided not to bring them back to focus on the main singleplayer gameplay.

The reason I would have liked the mini games back was because they were fun to play with others. I don’t really have a reason to have people over since not much to do. I think having the Paid DLC makes up for it but still would have been nice for them to come back.

The only two things that would have made the game perfect would be. Being able to island hop without going back to my island first. Also being able to store flowers and bushes.

I feel like I'm the only one who's happy Book's Cranny didn't get an upgrade. I feel like it would have looked weird if this particular game had a giant emporium in it.

I actually agree with you. I wish that seasonal space to the left of the door when you enter didn't sometimes go empty, that it would be always filled with some sort of furniture was for sale. But that's the only issue I have with Nook's Cranny right now. What I really wanted from Nook's Cranny we're actually getting through Harv's island - the fact that we can have special character shops there all the time.

Of things that I would might possibly want that weren't included, a Nook's Cranny upgrade is probably the lowest priority want for me, where I'd be OK with it it never showing up.

The only thing I haven’t really liked is Brewsters. I mean, I feel like Nintendo is honestly screwing with us. If you are going to bring something back, it should at least be as good as it was, not worse. It’s a cute shop. I like that you can invite quest with the amiibo phone. But you can only sit at the counter for a two second coffee. You can’t have coffee with your guest at the table. You can’t take a cup of coffee to go. I keep seeing pictures of people sitting with multiple villagers at the table. How?!?!? I can only invite one at a time, and then I guess you just hope multiple town villagers are there at the same time? I mean does that even happen. You can’t get a job there anymore to make coffee for your friends. I quite annoyed by it. Other that, I have been pleased. Thank got I can get Bella here from trading though. I just had to pay 700.000 for a storage upgrade. Like excuse me. Haha
Post automatically merged:

I like the update but I'm dissapointed mostly in:
-Missing furniture from NL
-Lack of Nook upgrades
-No GracieGrace
-No streamlined dialogue for Dodos
-No perfect fruit or tropical fruit (in an island themed game! Would've been perfect for finding in the Kapp'n islands)

I thought there was supposed to be some new fruit. Or am I wrong? Have you seen any yet?

It would have been nice if we could work for him but it is fine we can’t. I liked figuring out how my villagers liked their coffee because I felt closer to them and liked learning things about them. Agree it does not make it less fun because now we can have coffee with NPC’s and villagers

The reason I would have liked the mini games back was because they were fun to play with others. I don’t really have a reason to have people over since not much to do. I think having the Paid DLC makes up for it but still would have been nice for them to come back.

The only two things that would have made the game perfect would be. Being able to island hop without going back to my island first. Also being able to store flowers and bushes.

i also liked it because i could brew coffee. but with cooking and inviting npcs/villagers, i feel it isn’t that necessary of an add on like, i agree, it’s fine we don’t.

the island minigames got old for me even playing with friends. i don’t think just porting the games as is would’ve been ok especially for a switch game. and maybe the devs decided not to spend the resources to give animal crossing a better multiplayer mode. the series has always been single player with a little multiplayer and i think that’s fine. not every game needs a dedicated multiplayer. i understand wanting to do more stuff with friends and if they do bring back the mini games in the future i wouldn’t complain. just not at the expense of the single player.

and for the replayability i do prefer hhp instead of wacking an acorn robot with mallet over and over again lol. and i 100% agree. i don’t know why we can’t store flowers and bushes and, after spending 100+ NMTs last night, direct island hopping is a must.

Honestly, I think my main issue with this update has been that there isn't a way to play mini-games with your friends or travel with them as you could in New Leaf. I really adore a lot of what the update has brought but it seems so heavily focused on solo-play whereas there is a group who want to have a kinda co-op mode to play with friends.

Otherwise, it just feels pointless to invite my friends over unless they need something from my island (weather, fruit, nooks etc)

But honestly speaking I think it's best Nook's doesn't get an update, the shop fronts are different than NL so it wouldn't fit the general aesthetic unless Tom allows players to customize their stores the same way we can customize our houses.

i also liked it because i could brew coffee. but with cooking and inviting npcs/villagers, i feel it isn’t that necessary of an add on like, i agree, it’s fine we don’t.

the island minigames got old for me even playing with friends. i don’t think just porting the games as is would’ve been ok especially for a switch game. and maybe the devs decided not to spend the resources to give animal crossing a better multiplayer mode. the series has always been single player with a little multiplayer and i think that’s fine. not every game needs a dedicated multiplayer. i understand wanting to do more stuff with friends and if they do bring back the mini games in the future i wouldn’t complain. just not at the expense of the single player.

and for the replayability i do prefer hhp instead of wacking an acorn robot with mallet over and over again lol. and i 100% agree. i don’t know why we can’t store flowers and bushes and, after spending 100+ NMTs last night, direct island hopping is a must.
For the mini games yea they probably would have to make changes to them. Yea I do mostly play by myself anyway so not a big deal they didn’t make it back. Would be nice but not something that has to be there. . Plus there are so many others things in game to do that I might not have time for mini games. I Spent 80nmt’s the other day and it took forever.

I spent most of the time from the release of the update to now villager hunting for Sasha. Now I have Sasha and Ione over. And plan to look for Shino so I guess I didn’t have much time to fuss over the different aspects and what they lack and I guess that in itself says pretty much how contented I am about the update. But then again, I’ve always kinda looked at NH with a glass half full mentality from the beginning (I guess just not having grass deterioration and villagers randomly plopping their houses wherever sold me way too much lolll I have a lot of NL trauma and I’m still haunted by the days when we can only buy ONE random bush in a day and having to wait 2 years for a villager to suggest a PWP so I’m sorry Gracie Grace but if you’re the sacrifice I had to make just so I won’t go through those things anymore then I’d take it haha) so I wouldn’t really complain much either way. Yeah there was a time I got bored too and stopped playing NH but I spent way too many hours in the game already by then that I’d say it’ll be weird to even complain at that point when other games must’ve exhausted their lives way earlier in comparison. And yeah there are things missing from NL but they’re two separate games and most of those things I don’t care for (I don’t like most of the furniture in NL except for the Alpine, Ranch and Rococo sets) so I guess it never bothered me enough. All in all, I’m pretty satisfied with the update and the dlc. Sometimes I’m even overwhelmed a bit with all the stuff to do. But that’s because I recently started.

Last edited:
I think what makes me happiest is all of the new possibilities of how islands can be, I also love how active the community is again and we can all celebrate together! (yayy)

My main qualms about the criticism towards ACNH is how quick people are to still expect it’s the second coming of ACNL. I believe ACNH was meant to be catered more towards designing, hence all these furniture, customizations, terraforming, etcetera. As someone who loved designing in ACNL and HHD, I feel ACNH was always more accessible than the older games in terms of items and decorations. I spent hours on end in ACNL trying to get my villagers to suggest PWPs because I just could not move forward with decorating my island without building them; it was a PAIN resetting moving villagers so they wouldn’t randomly plop their houses on my paths; and asides from PWPs and plants, we couldn’t really place furniture outside before. That’s why even after years of playing ACNL I’ve never finished my town because of how tedious it all was. Was ACNL fun for me? Yeah, it still was to an extent, but the designing aspect was rudimentary compared to ACNH.

If you find there’s “hardly anything to do” and still think ACNL is better, then I suggest just getting back to ACNL. With all the new items I suddenly feel there’s so much I can do on my island in terms of decoration, and I play ACNH for its decorating aspect. If decorating isn’t your thing then I guess it’s normal to not be able to find much else to do.

With that being said, I still think ACNH could have had more QoL updates such as bulk crafting or maybe being able to hop from one Nook Mile island to another without having to return to your island. But for what it is and what it was made for, I think ACNH is a great game already.

TL;DR: ACNH isn’t the second coming of ACNL, if you like the older games then play it. I believe ACNH is heavily dependent on its decorating aspect so if you don’t like decorating that much then of course you’re not going to find much to do. Play another game that caters more to what you like in a game.

People are not being unreasonable when criticising the game's shift of focus from community and villager-based interaction to customisation and decoration. Telling people to - essentially - shut up and play a different game is pretty rude and uncalled for.

No one is suggesting that New Horizons should have been a "second coming" of New Leaf, either. It's not an extreme idea that New Horizons should have expanded upon the original premise of the previous three games in the series instead of swaying so left of field. People are critical of how much the game has changed, not of the concept of this change.

People are not being unreasonable when criticising the game's shift of focus from community and villager-based interaction to customisation and decoration. Telling people to - essentially - shut up and play a different game is pretty rude and uncalled for.

No one is suggesting that New Horizons should have been a "second coming" of New Leaf, either. It's not an extreme idea that New Horizons should have expanded upon the original premise of the previous three games in the series instead of swaying so left of field. People are critical of how much the game has changed, not of the concept of this change.
I genuinely don't see this huge shift though.

It could very well just be my play style, but this game has pretty much everything the old games did, and then so much more on top of it.

So to me calling new horizons a game that does not expand upon previous titles and went far left field... I just don't see it at all myself.

So to me, it really does just look like people being upset over silly things like an item that an older title had not being in this one.
Or not having more fruit trees which tbh, we had too many types of before.

I am really happy with everything that they added. I enjoy all the new features. I’m just really sad they haven’t added any of the old furniture sets from New Leaf. There were some sets i was really looking forward to, including the rococo furniture. However I do enjoy the new things they added. It’s kind of bittersweet.

I am really happy with everything that they added. I enjoy all the new features. I’m just really sad they haven’t added any of the old furniture sets from New Leaf. There were some sets i was really looking forward to, including the rococo furniture. However I do enjoy the new things they added. It’s kind of bittersweet.
But lots of sets did come back, including rococo

I feel like I'm the only one who's happy Book's Cranny didn't get an upgrade. I feel like it would have looked weird if this particular game had a giant emporium in it. The building would take up way too much space and look really giant and strange. I like how cute and small the shop is. Honestly, Nooks Cranny sells more stuff than the emporium. The emporium only sold like 4 furniture items and a bunch of silly trinkets while the Cranny sells like 6 or 7 items and everything you need. As for Brewster, I personally never cared for him as a whole. It's cool he's in the game. To me nothing is "missing* from the game. This isn't NL 2.0 it's a different game. They added over 9000+ items in the game all new. I don't even remember the NL furniture to be quite honest. I rather see new items not repeats of old things. Tortimer is fine too. Mini games to me are only fun with other people. If you don't have anyone to play with nor switch island.. Tortimer games are pointless. Kappn is fine as well. I like how he takes us to different mystery islands. I never liked him that much anyway so, that's me. Overall, very substantial update. Not disappointed at all and a friend bought me the DLC so, I'm very content.
Well, I think they would give us an option to upgrade. I think most players would just keep the wooden shack that is Nook’s Cranny because islands were designed around that being the exterior. I can’t imagine Nintendo would force anyone to upgrade. I also prefer the Nook’s Cranny exterior.

I'm really happy with the update, here are the highlights for me.

Brewster - I love the way the cafe looks. I wish there was some additional element to it. The amiibo functionality is nice, but I generally don't like features being locked behind amiibo. It would have been nice if we could invite at least our current villagers to meet up at the cafe without using amiibo.

Kapp'n - I think I probably would have used this more earlier in the game when I needed resources or bells. Now I don't see much use for it, but it's still nice to have him in the game.

Harv's Island - I really love what they did with this. The only nitpick I have is needing to go through the Dodo menu and then a loading screen to get there feels time-consuming compared to going to the city/Main Street in past games.

New items - I'm very impressed with the amount of new items they added.

Last edited:
The only thing I haven’t really liked is Brewsters. I mean, I feel like Nintendo is honestly screwing with us. If you are going to bring something back, it should at least be as good as it was, not worse. It’s a cute shop. I like that you can invite quest with the amiibo phone. But you can only sit at the counter for a two second coffee. You can’t have coffee with your guest at the table. You can’t take a cup of coffee to go. I keep seeing pictures of people sitting with multiple villagers at the table. How?!?!? I can only invite one at a time, and then I guess you just hope multiple town villagers are there at the same time? I mean does that even happen.
You can in fact order takeaway coffee. It shows up a handful of days in or so. People really need to stop jumping the gun and saying it’s not a feature, because I’ve seen multiple people say it and it’s there. Just keep playing.

Multiple villagers at a table come from inviting NPCs. Characters with various ties to each other will invite each other (ex. Digby inviting Isabelle, Lyle inviting the HHA members, Daisy Mae following Joan...) It depends on who you invite.

Back