• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

My honest thoughts on this update.

I'm loving everything they added to this update, I'm just worried it might take a while to get a lot of the new items with Nook's only having limited items for sale each day

I love the update so much. I am pretty content with everything they added and I can see myself being occupied with everything for months.

I don't really know why people are so determined to have every single thing that was in NL added to ACNH. ACNH is supposed to be new isn't it? New furniture, new NPC's, new everything. I would personally be upset if it was exactly the same. Seems like a waste of money to me in that case. But that's just my opinion. The fact that people are still complaining even though Nintendo gave us so much new stuff is kinda disappointing. But whatever, feel free to attack me over this... I'm sure someone will decide they hate me for saying this.

Good luck getting your 'complete' game when Nintendo has announced that they aren't going to be giving out updates anymore.
Post automatically merged:

I really like the update. It’s just hard to believe that people are still finding things to complain about. Why not focus on the positive? We received the update early which, in my opinion, was a great surprise. There are lots to look forward to with this update, as seen in the direct. Nintendo can’t satisfy everyone’s needs. They’d have to make hundreds of copies specifically catered to everything that a person wants. That’s just not how it works. This isn’t towards anyone in particular. I’ve just witnessed that there seems to be more focus on what we don’t have over what we do have. If we could focus on the positives for a bit, this update would be a lot better.
THIS. People are always focusing on the negative side of things in this game and it's so frustrating to see. Nobody can just simply enjoy the content they have. Sure you can have things you don't like, but seriously.

The only thing that really disappointed me was not including bulk crafting and some sort of "Take me to another island!" feature when using Nook Miles Tickets instead of having to start the whole process over from the airport. Otherwise, I'm satisfied with the update. They added like, 9000+ items, which is way more than I ever thought they'd give us. Plus the cooking is a massive game changer.

Brewster may not let you work for him anymore, but that was a feature exclusive to New Leaf; he never did much in any of the other games, so I didn't care either way.

I think they didn't add many new floors and wallpapers since they figured a lot of people were likely to use custom patterns for their houses, anyway.

I use Kapp'n as an opportunity to get extra DIY materials. I like going nuts chopping down all the trees and ravaging the island for all its fruits since I don't want to do that on my own island. Most of the islands are pretty boring in design or don't have anything special about them, but if special islands were common, it wouldn't be all that special anymore, so I don't mind, because either way I get something out of each trip.

I personally like how Tortimer was included in the update. His design is so cute in NH and he's definitely the most useful RV on Harv's island. I don't think he was meant to come back in some big, elaborate way, he's just a little bored :p

I do agree that they should have brought Gracie back, though. I'll never forget the carpal tunnel I got in my youth from vigorously washing her stupid car. Just seeing her would strike fear in my heart. I'd love it. Plus she had AMAZING sets that I definitely miss.

I didn't know they added new villager dialogue though, that's a very nice touch.

Last edited:
I don't really know why people are so determined to have every single thing that was in NL added to ACNH. ACNH is supposed to be new isn't it? New furniture, new NPC's, new everything. I would personally be upset if it was exactly the same.
Didn't people react negatively to City Folk because it came across as just a "port" of Wild World? I definitely remember back in the day people were pretty upset over how "low effort" City Folk was.

I only have one complaint about the update so far myself... And that's the fact I'm getting lag and FPS issues on my island that I did not have before the update. Like, I deliberately made sure to set up my island in such a way I wouldn't have these issues and I'm just floored that this game seems to be un-optimized to run on the Switch. I don't remember having issues with Breath of the Wild or even Fire Emblem, why the heck am I getting so much lag and FPS issues in ANIMAL CROSSING of all things?

Didn't people react negatively to City Folk because it came across as just a "port" of Wild World? I definitely remember back in the day people were pretty upset over how "low effort" City Folk was.

I only have one complaint about the update so far myself... And that's the fact I'm getting lag and FPS issues on my island that I did not have before the update. Like, I deliberately made sure to set up my island in such a way I wouldn't have these issues and I'm just floored that this game seems to be un-optimized to run on the Switch. I don't remember having issues with Breath of the Wild or even Fire Emblem, why the heck am I getting so much lag and FPS issues in ANIMAL CROSSING of all things?

I wouldn't know about the city folk and wild world games and what people didn't like about them, since the earliest game I played was New Leaf.
I guess people are always going to react negatively to something in a game. Nobody can ever be fully satisfied.

I'm not experiencing any lag, although at the moment my island is completely flat. That is weird, if your island isn't really cluttered. Yeah, you would think the Switch would be able to handle it, welp.

I mean tbh I've been really hooked to amiibo collecting for a while now so just the series 5 coming out was enough for me (love collecting the new villagers as well!). Brewster was definitely satisfactory for me, yeah we can't work for him anymore but I was always so frustrated in previous games that we couldn't sit down at the chairs and tables and share a coffee. I love that we can now invite npcs to have coffee and a chat, it adds to the chill vibe and is just adorable. For whatever reason, gyroids were a big deal for me, love those! I also think it is so cool you can get more services from Katrina as well, the friendship thing is a nice touch. I love so many aspects of the update, my only grievance is that there aren't more QOL updates. The game can be incredibly tedious for this reason. I haven't played much of the update yet and have a lot to catch up on but so far I wouldn't put the game above New Leaf. I'd put on par though. Time will tell if I will change my mind. Either way, I am very happy and look forward to playing HHP once I have caught up with enough of the free stuff.

I haven't noticed that myself yet, though I've seen it mentioned it enough I'm sure it's very common. What I HAVE noticed is loading times are slower. The game is slower to load up from the main Switch menu, it's slower to load from the title screen to your game, and it's also slower to save your game too.

I haven't noticed that myself yet, though I've seen it mentioned it enough I'm sure it's very common. What I HAVE noticed is loading times are slower. The game is slower to load up from the main Switch menu, it's slower to load from the title screen to your game, and it's also slower to save your game too.
It's such a bummer, even though it might be small for other people... Lag and FPS drops trigger my motion sickness pretty bad, I get really nauseous from it. It sucks to think I might have to tear down parts of my island that I like to reduce the FPS drops when it was fine before.

I love the update! I love how we can change the colour of our furniture, all the new items, cooking, and the gyroids are so cute! They really were doing a LOT of stuff behind the scenes. For the critique part, I actually don't mind missing a lot of the features people wanted in this thread, but I'm still a bit sad that they didn't add sound settings, unbreakable tools and even light brown hair, since those would have been pretty easy to put in and would have changed my life... I would have LOVED mini games as well but that's a more difficult thing to implement.

I honestly haven't experienced this. On the contrary, I felt like flying to Harv's Island, getting in and out of buildings are somewhat faster now. Haven't seen any change in load times like that (they're long, sure, but they've been like that since day one).

For reference: my switch is the base model, I have a digital copy of the game, installed on the Switch's internal memory (not on an SD Card).

My main qualms about the criticism towards ACNH is how quick people are to still expect it’s the second coming of ACNL. I believe ACNH was meant to be catered more towards designing, hence all these furniture, customizations, terraforming, etcetera. As someone who loved designing in ACNL and HHD, I feel ACNH was always more accessible than the older games in terms of items and decorations. I spent hours on end in ACNL trying to get my villagers to suggest PWPs because I just could not move forward with decorating my island without building them; it was a PAIN resetting moving villagers so they wouldn’t randomly plop their houses on my paths; and asides from PWPs and plants, we couldn’t really place furniture outside before. That’s why even after years of playing ACNL I’ve never finished my town because of how tedious it all was. Was ACNL fun for me? Yeah, it still was to an extent, but the designing aspect was rudimentary compared to ACNH.

If you find there’s “hardly anything to do” and still think ACNL is better, then I suggest just getting back to ACNL. With all the new items I suddenly feel there’s so much I can do on my island in terms of decoration, and I play ACNH for its decorating aspect. If decorating isn’t your thing then I guess it’s normal to not be able to find much else to do.

With that being said, I still think ACNH could have had more QoL updates such as bulk crafting or maybe being able to hop from one Nook Mile island to another without having to return to your island. But for what it is and what it was made for, I think ACNH is a great game already.

TL;DR: ACNH isn’t the second coming of ACNL, if you like the older games then play it. I believe ACNH is heavily dependent on its decorating aspect so if you don’t like decorating that much then of course you’re not going to find much to do. Play another game that caters more to what you like in a game.

I feel like there's no point in a shop upgrade anymore? One of the main facets of the game is DIY collection and crafting, so the Nook's Cranny doesn't hold as much importance as it did in previous games, where it was the only way in which you obtained furniture.

And I feel like we need to stop saying things are "missing" from previous games... they aren't. New Horizons isn't the sequel to New Leaf. I guarantee if they'd made essentially a switch version of New Leaf people would also be saying it's boring.

Personally, i'm really enjoying the update so far. I've also had a lot of fun with HHP, and obtaining the new furniture items. However it's still early days so it's hard to give an all round opinion.

I am loving the new update. I think it’s tied the game up nicely together.
I really appreciate now that villagers will visit us and ask us to visit them, that’s one of my favourite features from older games.

I love the new gyroids and I am so happy we have Brewster back.

I personaly love that Reese and Cyrus can customize furniture to get it to be another color variant, I had a lot of items that didn't match, but I could finally decorate Merengue's house correctly now that I can make everything pink. \ (•◡•) /

This is my first animal crossing game so to me I don't know what it's missing from previous games although I have heard a lot is missing

Honestly all I want is to bulk buy an bulk craft, standing trying to get nook mile tickets is so annoying if you want a bunch an you have to go through the whole thing everytime, I'd love to bulk craft especially with things like fish bait when I can have loads to do

I'd also have liked to be able to travel from island to island without the need to go back to the airport as well

Apart from those I am pretty happy with the game, I like the new update, maybe would have liked at least 3 visits per day with the little boat dude but overall its ok for me but since I haven't played any others I can't tell if it's was bad or not

I love the new content, but the game is definitely not solid. It's just missing something. Maybe it's the lack of shop updates after 30 days or so, nothing really changes anymore so it's stale.

They really should have added some sort of multiplayer content at the very least.

i think some criticisms of new horizons like no bulk crafting, no bulk shopping, not being to expand all your house’s room to max size, not being able to hop to the next nook mile island directly, etc. are deserved but other ones seem more upset new horizons is not new leaf 2.0.

‘we can’t work for brewster anymore’ why would i want to when i can make my own drinks now via cooking? and not working for brewster in cf or ww didn’t make those games any less enjoyable. also i quite like inviting npcs for coffee.

‘no island mini games’ imo they were boring and repetitive and would require an overhaul to make them fun, enjoyable, and up to par with modern multiplayer games. i have no issue if the devs decided not to bring them back to focus on the main singleplayer gameplay.

i just can’t see how someone would put new horizons below new leaf just because it doesn’t have the what four sets of gracie furniture? (with only two sets people really cared about tbh) especially with the mountain of new furniture and reese and cyrus customization the update added.

and even without the update the fact new horizons lets you change your skin color while new leaf did not makes it the better game.

tldr: new horizons isn’t the perfect game but neither was new leaf. new leaf was a great game that pointed the series in the right direction that new horizons followed in its own way with the update adding to it.

I love the new content, but the game is definitely not solid. It's just missing something. Maybe it's the lack of shop updates after 30 days or so, nothing really changes anymore so it's stale.

They really should have added some sort of multiplayer content at the very least.
I feel like I’ll never truly understand how some still think of this game as incomplete or not feeling truly solid.

To answer OP, I’m incredibly happy with the state of the game. They’ve given us so much! And there’s plenty of hidden secrets not mentioned in the direct! Including:
Cornimer, rewards for completing museum sections, Nook Friday (new holiday), catalogue and buy with poki all the items you’ve used in HHD, changing villager’s house exterior, all NPC through amiibos, Resetti cameo in The Roost (without amiibo card), etc

I feel like I can’t ask more of the developers. They’ve truly delivered!

Am curious to know that now that they have stated this will be the last free major update if they mean any future big updates will be paid dlc or if they are finished completly with the major updates an it will just be little ones we now get

Back