• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

My honest thoughts on this update.

Meadows

Soon, I will be resting in a field of flowers.
Bells
Switch
5526-4266-2509
Island
Mizukawa
Apple (Fruit)
Peach (Fruit)
Cherry (Fruit)
Pear (Fruit)
Orange (Fruit)
Father's Day Carnation
Mother's Day Carnation
Red Cosmos
White Cosmos
Yellow Cosmos
In this update they added a lot of QOL improvements and items. The datamined list of items showed so many awesome items in excited for and it's nice seeing old NPC's back. Not to mention being able to cook is a nice new feature. I also love that villagers have more dialogue and we can interact with them more.

However, if I'm being honest, I'm quite disappointed with the update. Brewster is an alright npc, but he hardly has any use. If we could work for him, it would be alright, but all you can do is waste 200 bells and talk to villagers and npcs (but I am glad to see the past npcs return).

I'm glad to see Kapp'n return, but he's not very useful. Sure, you have a chance of getting limited materials, but other then that, there's hardly any reason to waste the 1k nook miles, there's not even tropical fruit.

Tortimer is one of my favorite npc's but his presence in this update is so minimal. Sure, it's nice to access storage on Harv's island, but Tortimer isn't really needed at all, where in past games he hosted holiday events and tortimers island.

There's no shop upgrade, meaning it's going to take quite some time to find the new items. Speaking of items, hardly any new wallpapers/floors where added, and most of the sets from previous games are still missing. We get more storage, but no room expansions.

So even after this update, with all of the nice new content, it really doesn't effect what the game needed, more stuff to do. At the time of this update, I'm still saying new leaf is better in almost every way, except island decorations.

I know they said this is the last major update, but I'm really hoping to see a shop expansion (preferably with more room, missing sets, more wallpaper/flooring, and Gracie, mini games (even if small ones on the nookphone), tropical fruit, housing room expansions, and more holiday events in the plaza to help make the game feel more complete.

I'd be happy if they brought back the missing sets/wallpapers/floors, added a shop upgrade, allowed us to expand our housing rooms, and brought back Gracie.

So what are your thoughts on the update?

Last edited:
In this update they added a lot of QOL improvements and items. The datamined list of items showed so many awesome items in excited for and it's nice seeing old NPC's back. Not to mention being able to cook is a nice new feature. I also love that villagers have more dialogue and we can interact with them more.

However, if I'm being honest, I'm quite disappointed with the update. Brewster is an alright npc, but he hardly has any use. If we could work for him, it would be alright, but all you can do is waste 200 bells and talk to villagers and npcs (but I am glad to see the past npcs return).

I'm glad to see Kapp'n return, but he's not very useful. Sure, you have a chance of getting limited materials, but other then that, there's hardly any reason to waste the 1k nook miles, there's not even tropical fruit.

Tortimer is one of my favorite npc's but his presence in this update is so minimal. Sure, it's nice to access storage on Harv's island, but Tortimer isn't really needed at all, where in past games he hosted holiday events and tortimers island.

There's no shop upgrade, meaning it's going to take quite some time to find the new items. Speaking of items, hardly any new wallpapers/floors where added, and most of the sets from previous games are still missing. We get more storage, but no room expansions.

So even after this update, with all of the nice new content, it really doesn't effect what the game needed, more stuff to do. At the time of this update, I'm still saying new leaf is better in almost every way, except island decorations.

I know they said this is the last major update, but I'm really hoping to see a shop expansion (preferably with more room, missing sets, more wallpaper/flooring, and Gracie, mini games (even if small ones on the nookphone), tropical fruit, housing room expansions, and more holiday events in the plaza to help make the game feel more complete.

I’m very content. I think they finished the game well

Right off the bat, I was disappointed to find out how Dodo Airlines is still the same, there is no bulk crafting, no indication of your tool breaking (although if you are lucky with Katrina you can get a luck fortune where your tool last longer), and the villagers are speaking mostly the same. I didn't see much changes to the dialogue. I was really hoping they would address some of these issues but they didn't do it.

With that negative out of the way I will say this. This update really made the game a lot better than it used to be. Of course there is the argument that a lot of the content they showed could've been in the game day one, but still better late than never. There more stuff to do and I was surprised how I was playing this game about the same hours as it were to come out last year.

Harvs island is no longer useless now that we can build shops and go to anyone of them so we no longer have to stress out about certain NPCs showing up on our islands. It was such a good investment and it gives me more of a reason to visit the island if I want to get more stuff.

Reese and Cyrus being added for customize furniture was so much needed because before it was so annoying trying to get different colored furniture since it was one of those things where it was locked behind what Airport color your island had. Now this is no longer an issue. I don't have to worry about getting the colors from different islands, since I can just go to Reese and Cyrus on Harvs island to customize furniture.

Overall, this update is what the game needed and I know there is an argument to be made here that they could've done a bit more, but honestly I am really grateful for all the content they added into the game. Sure there was some stuff they could've improved, but again we did get most of everything that everyone wanted for better or for worse. So I am pretty much satisfied.

From what I'm seeing because I don't have a switch anymore ACNH is now a complete game. When I say complete I mean it feels full. I personally don't expect everything in a game series to be carried over in every game but improvements and new things need to be met and ACNH has now done that. Also all villagers need carried over because that's a main feature and practically the point of the game.
ACNH and ACNL are to different approaches to animal crossing. One isn't really about making the other obsolete in my personal opinion but maybe that will change in the future.
I just know PWP are something I appreciate that I would like to see come back in the future with the addition of full reign of decorating you map with items. PWP could be large special Items like metal sculptures, public art, tourist attractions like the world's biggest rubber band ball. These would fit well in a city, or farm, or little town diner setting honestly and may be team up well with the new camera features being explored now in ACNH.

Too early to say, as I may expect Brewster day after tomorrow.

When his song returned with him, I don't need anything more from him - I could love him unconditionally ;-)

I think we got him, just as his presence - as they had no role for him, just decided to make him as live-storage.

I didn't expected any shop upgrade and I'm not mad about this. Biggest problem, for me personally - New Leaf is only available for small screen - meaning 3DS. If I would be able to have it for Switch, probably would be having both of those games - but for now, despite the fact I still have my 3DS and NL - not playing for several months at all.

Still too early to justify, as update has been dropped today, HHP hasn't been launched yet, and I think I will need at least couple weeks to be sure if I'm happy about this update or not.

The update just came out yesterday and since I still don't have access to a lot of stuff, I can't really form an opinion, but I do like what I see so far.

But I'm sorry, OP that you are disappointed in the update.

One thing I don't like, however, is a lot of stuff in the update is locked behind the 3 star rating, so you have to go through the long, drawn out, tedious, unavoidable tutorial in order to get things like the Roost, Kapp'n, and expanded Harv's Island.

In a way, and I could be wrong, it feels like it's kind of punishes players who restarted or players who haven't been playing since March 2020 by locking the new stuff behind a star rating.

Last edited:
I think this update is amazing and I think the content will keep me busy for a while. But if I'm being honest, the biggest disappointment for me is the lack of returning items. I know that this update brought 9000+ items, but I kind of have been standing on the opinion for a while that I would prefer more items even if it means less customization. Some of these items seem to have like 10+ customization options, which is great but I just miss a lot of the New Leaf sets. So sad to see Gracie's stuff isn't here, and I'm also sad to lose some of the New Leaf clothing as well. I don't want to sound ungrateful because this update is so good and there's going to be years added onto this game from this update + DLC, I just am sad that now these items I was looking forward to are definitely not coming back.

We have had the update for less than 24 hours, so I can't exactly give my thoughts on content that will take me months to experience. At the moment, my mom and I had the biggest grin watching all the things we have now. She was ecstatic for the expanded storage and I share her views because we're both terrible hoarders. We were in awe at all the new Nook Miles items, they seem so cool and can't wait to place them around. There's so many possibilities, I'm so excited to see everything.

There's lots of things to do. There's new shops to visit daily, there's new places to visit daily, there's new activities to do daily and there's thousands of new items to collect. There's no Nook's Cranny where you can get 2 more furniture pieces because you instead have the Nook Shopping app, the Nook Miles items and the ability to craft/cook. There's no tropical fruit because it now has crops- which tbf are more unique than the fruits. The game already had more wallpapers/flooring/rugs than any other game on the series before the update. I haven't seen the final count, but I'm sure it at least almost reached the amount of furniture NL had- so yes, it doesn't have the exact same items but it is still offering a truckload of options (no varianst included, which just makes this unfair). There's no part-time job at The Roost but now we can have coffee dates with almost every single NPC on the series' history. Things change.

Sometimes an NPC is there just because it's fun to have 'em around. We can analyze every single role of the NPC on each game and we could probably say the same "unneeded" thing for every game. Was Celeste unneeded on New Leaf because her role was so minimal, only running a little shop and being stripped of all her personality? Compared to how she had a full-blown observatory on past games? People said it was nice to have her around anyways. The game almost pulled an "Everyone is here" and even though I don't have amiibo to access many of those old NPC myself, I'm loving being able to see the conversations they trigger thanks to other people. Are they fulfilling an exciting and very important role? No. But I still like to see them, even if I don't have any pesky nostalgia for them.

This game is not New Leaf. It doesn't need to have exactly the same content as the previous game. Because that never happens. It didn't happen with New Leaf, it didn't happen with City Folk, it didn't happen with Wild World and it won't happen on a future entry. And I'm personally glad it doesn't happen. If a new entry comes years on the future, I don't want to play the exact same thing I've played with New Horizons.

As I have never though the game lacked things to do or content, I don’t really feel the update needs to add much in that respect, and therefore can’t comment fully on that. The game always felt complete to me. (When they first added diving, I was worried it was going to be too much more to do! But ended up liking the swimming a lot).

And yet it seems to have added so much to do.

I think many people once again overhyped the update to make people have unrealistic expectations, probably especially in the YouTuber world where they love stirring things up for the clicks and pretending to have some special insight, or so it seems to me (not a big YouTube fan).

since it is less than 24 hours since the update became available and the DLC is not even available yet where I live, it seems very early to make a ruling, for me at least. I have not even unlocked everything and I expect it will be several days before I even fully comprehend what all has been added or experience it meaningfully.

I’m enjoying that feeling again of discovery and excitement for these new experiences.

but I’d also say, as always, no sense forcing yourself to like something if you don’t. Things like this aren’t for everyone, and it is okay to just realize it isn’t for you.

Judy just invited me to her house, and I thought sweet let's go!
And then we just... Teleported there, just another example of my problem with this game, the new director does not understand what Animal Crossing is about at all,
it's a life sim, but they've streamlined everything to make it as "accessible" as possible, but it's the small things that makes it special, your villager friend inviting you to their home, and you walk there together like in New Leaf, but in New Horizons I just say yes, and boom we're there, also the fact that you'd inconvinience yourself for the sake of your villager friend made it feel more real idk, probably some psychological stuff, and they used to get upset if you didn't show up, it'd be a commitment.

But other than that so far I'm happy with the update, it feels a bit like a monkeys paw update, were they did most of the things I wanted, but did them all in the opposite way of what I wanted, I wanted more shops in my town, but instead we got the shops at Harvs island, I wanted the Café back, but they put it back in the museum that I rarely visit, they're so busy cramming everything together because it's "convenient" who needs a post office, Pete, Phyllis, nor Pelly when you could just have a card stand at the Dodo's.

But I'm enjoying the update regardless, and I'm excited to play again, and I DO like the decoration aspect that New Horizons, my problem with that aspect of the game so far have been the lack of diversity of furniture, but it seems to have been fixed, I haven't looked at any leaks though, so I have no clue what is actually in there.

And I'm way more happy about Kappn being back than I thought I'd be, I'm gonna get the Café tomorrow.
Also I prefer the new gyroids, they're amazing!

Last edited:
I actually haven't played the update yet myself as my Switch is not near me but from what I've read online, they actually finished their game. Yeah, there's things that aren't perfect imo (Able's Sisters changeroom is still awful, no bulk crafting, no bigger shop upgrade, no room expansions, etc) but that said, they did add lots and now the game finally doesn't feel as beta mode as it did originally. I'm pretty satisfied now and can rest my butthurtness towards the game lol. The only thing I would personally go back to New Leaf for would be the items and the tropical fruits. I like New Horizons better and couldn't imagine going back to New Leaf at this point.

I'm really loving the update, cooking is amazing, but if there was one thing I'd change, it'd be the Roost. I want to know how my villagers prefer their coffee, that's all. ; ;

As for the appearance of the Roost...it's fabulous! I do wish it were it's own building, though.

The only things I'm disappointed in is the fact that Kapp'n can only take you to his islands once a day and I still can't store flowers in the storage. Other than that, I'm quite happy :) The update doesn't make ACNH a perfect game, but it does make it better, and that's good enough for me (for now lol)

Frankly, as someone who’s time travelled three weeks in — there is plenty to do and to see. 200 bells is so easily gettable in this game that it’s no waste at all for Brewster — and he gives you a cookie recipe, furniture, and a gyroid in exchange for your continued patronage. Kapp’n’s island tours can be incredibly useful and fun to visit, because they offer you crops to pick, off-season bushes, things like the shooting star island, and an extra message in a bottle DIY. Tortimer offering storage is honestly a godsend, considering he’s right next to Cyrus & because you can very easily fill your pockets off Redd’s raffle alone. And it’s just nice to see him, isn’t it? I think, personally, the update is fine. There’s a lot of extra things to do daily to pad out the experience, and it gives me Mondays to look forward to ingame because that’s when the shops at Harv’s refresh. Would I have liked to see Gracie items? Absolutely, but I’m content with what we have and I think expecting or hoping for what NL had in future updates that won’t come is just going to disappoint you further and prevent you from enjoying what NH has.
And then we just... Teleported there, just another example of my problem with this game, the new director does not understand what Animal Crossing is about at all, it's a life sim, they've streamlined everything to make it as "accessible" as possible, but it's the small things that makes it special, your villager friend inviting you to their home, and you walk there together like in New Leaf, but in New Horizons I just say yes, and boom we're there, also the fact that you'd inconvinience yourself for the sake of your villager friend made it feel more real idk, probably some psychological stuff, and they used to get upset if you didn't show up, it'd be a commitment.
I wanted the Café back, but they put it back in the museum that I rarely visit, they're so busy cramming everything together because it's "convenient" who needs a post office, Pete, Phyllis, nor Pelly when you could just have a card stand at the Dodo's.
Teleporting is presumably more a QOL thing than the director not understanding what Animal Crossing is about — what if your house is somewhere on a ledge that you can’t access without a ladder, a tool your villagers can’t use?

The cafe being in the museum is also 1.) something from pre-NL games and 2.) For players who already have islands set up where they can’t conceivably place another building.

I'm loving the update.

The Roost is the best version in the series.
I'm loving being able to invite characters for coffee.

The shops are so cute and it's nice to be able to buy from them every day now.

We've got some amazing new items.

Crops and cooking are awesome.

I've only gone to one island so can't fully comment but I'm excited to see what I get each day.
I'm glad I can't just burn through them and never need to go back.

oh and the new camera. I love it so so much

I'm very happy with this update

And then we just... Teleported there, just another example of my problem with this game, the new director does not understand what Animal Crossing is about at all, it's a life sim, they've streamlined everything to make it as "accessible" as possible, but it's the small things that makes it special, your villager friend inviting you to their home, and you walk there together like in New Leaf, but in New Horizons I just say yes, and boom we're there, also the fact that you'd inconvinience yourself for the sake of your villager friend made it feel more real idk, probably some psychological stuff, and they used to get upset if you didn't show up, it'd be a commitment.
Just to clarify, what do you mean with "new director"? The director for this game is listed as Aya Kyogoku, who was also the director for New Leaf with Isao Moro. Both of them also helped the director back on City Folk, Hisashi Nogami. And Nogami himself is still involved as producer. There's no new director.

You could maybe make a case that neither Moro or Kyogoku kept the "true philosophy" that Nogami and Eguchi had for the first three games, but that's on both New Leaf and New Horizons, not only NH.

We have had the update for less than 24 hours, so I can't exactly give my thoughts on content that will take me months to experience. At the moment, my mom and I had the biggest grin watching all the things we have now. She was ecstatic for the expanded storage and I share her views because we're both terrible hoarders. We were in awe at all the new Nook Miles items, they seem so cool and can't wait to place them around. There's so many possibilities, I'm so excited to see everything.

There's lots of things to do. There's new shops to visit daily, there's new places to visit daily, there's new activities to do daily and there's thousands of new items to collect. There's no Nook's Cranny where you can get 2 more furniture pieces because you instead have the Nook Shopping app, the Nook Miles items and the ability to craft/cook. There's no tropical fruit because it now has crops- which tbf are more unique than the fruits. The game already had more wallpapers/flooring/rugs than any other game on the series before the update. I haven't seen the final count, but I'm sure it at least almost reached the amount of furniture NL had- so yes, it doesn't have the exact same items but it is still offering a truckload of options (no varianst included, which just makes this unfair). There's no part-time job at The Roost but now we can have coffee dates with almost every single NPC on the series' history. Things change.

Sometimes an NPC is there just because it's fun to have 'em around. We can analyze every single role of the NPC on each game and we could probably say the same "unneeded" thing for every game. Was Celeste unneeded on New Leaf because her role was so minimal, only running a little shop and being stripped of all her personality? Compared to how she had a full-blown observatory on past games? People said it was nice to have her around anyways. The game almost pulled an "Everyone is here" and even though I don't have amiibo to access many of those old NPC myself, I'm loving being able to see the conversations they trigger thanks to other people. Are they fulfilling an exciting and very important role? No. But I still like to see them, even if I don't have any pesky nostalgia for them.

This game is not New Leaf. It doesn't need to have exactly the same content as the previous game. Because that never happens. It didn't happen with New Leaf, it didn't happen with City Folk, it didn't happen with Wild World and it won't happen on a future entry. And I'm personally glad it doesn't happen. If a new entry comes years on the future, I don't want to play the exact same thing I've played with New Horizons.

This.

I like the update but I'm dissapointed mostly in:
-Missing furniture from NL
-Lack of Nook upgrades
-No GracieGrace
-No streamlined dialogue for Dodos
-No perfect fruit or tropical fruit (in an island themed game! Would've been perfect for finding in the Kapp'n islands)

Back