• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

My honest thoughts on this update.

People are not being unreasonable when criticising the game's shift of focus from community and villager-based interaction to customisation and decoration. Telling people to - essentially - shut up and play a different game is pretty rude and uncalled for.

No one is suggesting that New Horizons should have been a "second coming" of New Leaf, either. It's not an extreme idea that New Horizons should have expanded upon the original premise of the previous three games in the series instead of swaying so left of field. People are critical of how much the game has changed, not of the concept of this change.

Agree but the constant comparisons are getting annoying.

People are not being unreasonable when criticising the game's shift of focus from community and villager-based interaction to customisation and decoration. Telling people to - essentially - shut up and play a different game is pretty rude and uncalled for.

No one is suggesting that New Horizons should have been a "second coming" of New Leaf, either. It's not an extreme idea that New Horizons should have expanded upon the original premise of the previous three games in the series instead of swaying so left of field. People are critical of how much the game has changed, not of the concept of this change.
I think the complaint of shifting from "community" to "decorating" is like 8 years late. New Leaf was the first one to put the player character above all the other villagers, focused on all the power you had as the mayor, the customization aspect was one of the selling points and direction of the game, got rid of the Episodes feature which was one of the few ways for interacting with special NPC's, stripped the personality or took out the roles of NPC like Celeste, Blathers or Wisp and where the personalities of the villagers were "watered down", even removing the hobbies they were able to have to be more unique from each other.

If anything, New Horizons brought some of those things back such as some NPC having vibrant personalities or dialogue back (such as Label, both owls and the Nooks), and each resident having a hobby and personality subtype and the update further cemented some kind of return of "community and villager-based interaction" with the Group Stretching, both the "normal" Roost and the "amiibo" Roost, the visiting system, the island newspaper (which is easily one of my favorites new features, it's adorable), etc. You could even throw there the new camera where you can literally see eye-to-eye with your residents.

Both New Leaf and New Horizons seem to be kind of different from the first three games. I understand that there is indeed a bit of a tonal shift, but that started 8 years ago and for better or worse, New Leaf was the best seller and that kind of told the developers that yes, the "fan community" is happy with sharing pretty towns with PWP all over the place, a house so beautifully decorated and a collection of desired and pretty villagers.

I seriously need them to give us a update where your character doesn't freaking delete the paths when picking up twigs πŸ˜£πŸ˜‚ swear to god it drives me insane, why can't they just make it that you can't delete unless in construction mode

Also I seriously feel robbed with kappn, 3 islands now an absolute nothing new, just apple trees, weeds an cosmos

I didn't tell anyone to shut up though? I'm sorry if I came off that way. I personally just think that if a game doesn't cater to a gamestyle that I want and I keep comparing it to other titles, I'd rather just have myself playing the older titles instead of trying to force myself to like said game and criticize it for what it's not. I believe the older games were more of a relaxing life simulator game, ACNH (while still a life simulator) is more of a decorating game. I understand the upset with it not being very interaction-focused, but I feel ACNH is being discredited too much for what it's not rather than being credited for what it has to offer.

It's also the fact that people keep comparing it to ACNL to ACNH that bugs me. Saying "ACNL is better than ACNH in almost every way except for decorating" assumes one already had some preconceived notion that ACNL was the standard and that ACNH should have just been... ACNL 2.0, I guess? First, decorating is a MAJOR aspect of ACNH, once you sweep this under the rug you're already criticizing ACNH for what it's mainly not and of course ACNL can trump over the other aspects that aren't decorating. Second, while I don't have much experience in older games asides from ACNL, I can't say ACNH didn't expand on some premises of ACNL. Wasn't ACNL a groundbreaking game because you could actually decorate your town and implement ordinances and stuff, something you couldn't really do before? I understand the multiplayer games were removed in ACNH, but decorating-wise ACNH improved immensely compared to ACNL. Also, villager interactions and friendships are still there, old and new NPCs are around to chat with on a daily basis, there's bug/fish/fossil collecting to be done, etcetera. I personally think ACNH still has the backbone aspects of an Animal Crossing game while expanding on the idea of massive decoration. If we're comparing games, I would say interaction-wise ACNL and ACNH are actually really similar and neither really have a heavy advantage in that aspect.

All in all, maybe it's just me, but I'd rather ACNH be criticized for what it is than continue beating it up for what it's not. As a decorating game? ACNH is an absolute solid game. As a multiplayer game? Not really, you're better off playing other games with friends. As an interactions-based game? You're also better off playing the older titles if you really love this gamestyle. We're more than a year into the game, people should probably know at this point that ACNH isn't and will never be a perfect copy of older games, and I think that's alright. As I said, if you prefer the gamestyle of the older games, then play those older games! ACNH will not be everyone's cup of tea and that's okay.

Last edited:
Well, I think they would give us an option to upgrade. I think most players would just keep the wooden shack that is Nook’s Cranny because islands were designed around that being the exterior. I can’t imagine Nintendo would force anyone to upgrade. I also prefer the Nook’s Cranny exterior.
That's true. I just prefer the Nooks Cranny look lol
Post automatically merged:

Sloppy set is in ACNH. They did bring back some old sets.

I absolutely love the sloppy set. I used that set in my main room in New Leaf. I loved it!

You can in fact order takeaway coffee. It shows up a handful of days in or so. People really need to stop jumping the gun and saying it’s not a feature, because I’ve seen multiple people say it and it’s there. Just keep playing.

Multiple villagers at a table come from inviting NPCs. Characters with various ties to each other will invite each other (ex. Digby inviting Isabelle, Lyle inviting the HHA members, Daisy Mae following Joan...) It depends on who you invite.

Alrighty then!

Back