• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Most Depressing Kids' Movie

I cried at Jirachi the wish maker, I don't know why, it's a pokemon movie for gods sake!

Frozen. I never cry during movies but last time I watched Frozen I ALMOST cried when the parents *spoiler alert* die. They loved their parents so much and depended on them greatly. Elsa didn't want them to leave but the king assured him they would be fine.*spoiler over* so sad!

Not really a depressing movie... but mk. I'd say Grave of the Fireflies but i'm not sure if it's really a kids movie. So yeah.

I agree, though I really wouldnt call Grave of the Fireflies a kids movie, all that death and horrible stuff. nope I'm sad just thinking about it D;

UP, my god, when his wife died? I BAWLED and sobbed. I still choke up when I think about. LOL I am almost 30 xD

- - - Post Merge - - -

this ALWAYS makes me cry, I saw it as a kid, its not a movie but its very depressing..

- - - Post Merge - - -

OMGUENEFUHSIOFJSEF IT MADE ME CRYYYY T//O//T

gaaaah I have something in my eye!

Not really a depressing movie... but mk. I'd say Grave of the Fireflies but i'm not sure if it's really a kids movie. So yeah.

I wouldn't call "Grave of the Fireflies" a kids' film just because it's animated. It's like saying "Robot Chicken" is for kids because it has dolls and puppets in it. I don't know why cartoons still have this bad rep in the U.S. for being exclusive to the child demographic, but it hasn't stopped "Family Guy" or "The Simpsons" or "Evangelion" from being watched by adults, eh?

I tried watching "Grave of the Fireflies" a few months' back; I've yet to get past the 30-minute mark before turning it off, simply because I was too bummed to watch the rest of it. I'd have to say that movie's the most depressing movie I've ever seen, simply because I can't get through it.

As far as kid-friendly films, the most depressing one I've seen is...I don't know. I'd have to think about all the kids' movies I've seen in order to give this fair judgment. Plus, I usually don't cry during the depressing parts of a film; I see them as complications that just have to be dealt with. I do, however, cry when everything works out in the end. In that regard, the most emotional kids' movie I've ever seen would have to be "Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey"; I was physically fighting to hold back tears when the cat made it out alive after surviving the waterfall and being picked up by the cabin dweller and when I saw the golden retriever limping toward his human at the end.

this ALWAYS makes me cry, I saw it as a kid, its not a movie but its very depressing..

- - - Post Merge - - -

OMGUENEFUHSIOFJSEF IT MADE ME CRYYYY T//O//T

B-b-but I can't help but think of Dr. Mario when the song's playing... ._.

Hunchback of Notre Dame! To this day I can't watch the scene where they humiliate Quasimodo!

Isn't Watership Down the one with the bunnies? I've never seen it but my mom turned the channel once when it was on because it was "disturbing and creepy." I guess my Nana liked that book and when my mom read it she got scared.

Last edited:
Grave of the Fireflies and Toy Story 3 I find to be really sad. Obviously on different levels. I'm not sure if Grave of the fireflies was really aimed at a children's audience though. I find Wreck-It Ralph sad, but I think that's because of my way of interpreting it and all. I related a lot to Vanellope especially when she was being bullied so I think that's what triggers my tears every time I watch it.

Last edited:
I think Fox and the Hound and Old Yeller. But then I'm a big baby...I cried when Frankenweenie got hit by the car and then again at the end.:eek:

Spirited Away.

Well, of course you wouldn't really understand things when your a kid.
But once you get older and realized what really happened - it's really sad.

UP is pretty darn sad. I've cried like 4x watching up.
Also being so emotionally attatched to Pokemon, the first movie made me cry.

grave of the fireflies made me cry so much my face was soaked and i had to go to sleep after cuz i just couldnt handle it. seriously one of the saddest movies ive ever seen and just thinking about it is making me tear up

Back