• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

mocha's doodle dump

hey mocha.! I love your two latest drawings, they are so adorable! The colours on Roxxy's and Bueno's drawings are beautiful!

Could you explain this more? I'm not sure I understand it... would love to try out that trick too! :3
Hi my lovely friend !! Thank you so much, of course I’ll explain it!

im using skin tone as an example but you could probably use it for anything really! I use a round brush for this (something with low ish opacity):

lay down your skin tone colour (max opacity) and then layer whichever colours you want to use on top, then colour drop the one that is mixed with the skin tone! Hopefully this diagram helps a little more because I’m rubbish with instructions haha
IMG_0401.jpeg

Oooh thank you for explaining and including that drawing, that's really helpful! ❤️

I am not sure I understand 100% yet but that's not your fault, I'm just slow and need everything explained like I'm 5 xD So let me see if I got it: BEFORE colouring you take for example a skintone as a base sample. If I know I want to use a shade of purple in the outfit, I overlay purple with lower opacity on top of the skintone sample and repeat for all other colours I want to use. In the end the overlayed colours can be turned into a palette for colouring that is more cohesive, because it was overlayed over a colour that takes up a big part of the drawing. You do this before colouring/rendering. Is that right?

I always make up the colours as I go and slap a warm colour gradient over my art at the end of the rendering process in the hopes to tie it all together, but might have to give this a shot because my method is hit or miss xD

Oooh thank you for explaining and including that drawing, that's really helpful! ❤️

I am not sure I understand 100% yet but that's not your fault, I'm just slow and need everything explained like I'm 5 xD So let me see if I got it: BEFORE colouring you take for example a skintone as a base sample. If I know I want to use a shade of purple in the outfit, I overlay purple with lower opacity on top of the skintone sample and repeat for all other colours I want to use. In the end the overlayed colours can be turned into a palette for colouring that is more cohesive, because it was overlayed over a colour that takes up a big part of the drawing. You do this before colouring/rendering. Is that right?

I always make up the colours as I go and slap a warm colour gradient over my art at the end of the rendering process in the hopes to tie it all together, but might have to give this a shot because my method is hit or miss xD
Correct!! I’ve used the same image here but desaturated it:
IMG_0402.jpeg

Can you see how on the right side the colours are more cohesive because of their value? That’s essentially what we’re aiming to do. Hopefully this makes sense and I’m not confusing you further lol

Can you see how on the right side the colours are more cohesive because of their value? That’s essentially what we’re aiming to do. Hopefully this makes sense and I’m not confusing you further lol
Wow, yes I see! I was actually working hard to have greater contrast in my values so that things don't bleed together. I saw a tip online to put your artwork in greyscale to see if the values are too similar and to change up the colours if for example the skin colour and hair bleed into one another too much in greyscale. I noticed when I had to draw light skinned, light haired characters that also had a pastel outfit that it was getting really hard to distinguish between hair, skin and clothes when zooming out. I suppose there are several schools of thought x) I like the cohesive colour palettes in your work. Maybe I'll try rendering the same piece twice, once trying high contrast values and once trying cohesive similar values and see which one I prefer. Thank you for explaining it to me! <3 Sorry for cluttering up your art thread with my questions ;u;

Wow, yes I see! I was actually working hard to have greater contrast in my values so that things don't bleed together. I saw a tip online to put your artwork in greyscale to see if the values are too similar and to change up the colours if for example the skin colour and hair bleed into one another too much in greyscale. I noticed when I had to draw light skinned, light haired characters that also had a pastel outfit that it was getting really hard to distinguish between hair, skin and clothes when zooming out. I suppose there are several schools of thought x) I like the cohesive colour palettes in your work. Maybe I'll try rendering the same piece twice, once trying high contrast values and once trying cohesive similar values and see which one I prefer. Thank you for explaining it to me! <3 Sorry for cluttering up your art thread with my questions ;u;
I’m the same!! And I usually do what you do, where I overlay with a colour at the end hahah. I definitely prefer this way but then again Ive only done a few pieces where I’ve used that technique, so will have to see if it holds up! And don’t worry, I enjoy chatting about the process! your art is gorgeous so the fact ur coming to me for advice… I’m in awe hahah!

I’m the same!! And I usually do what you do, where I overlay with a colour at the end hahah. I definitely prefer this way but then again Ive only done a few pieces where I’ve used that technique, so will have to see if it holds up! And don’t worry, I enjoy chatting about the process! your art is gorgeous so the fact ur coming to me for advice… I’m in awe hahah!
I'm curious to try it out and also see more of your art in the future :3 so nice you're back! And stahp - I don't know what I'm doing 90% of the time, don't put me on a pedestal lol xD I just throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks.

my first ever dragon art - another commission over on FR ^^ I’m so happy with how this turned out. The rendering process takes me quite a while but I think it’s worth it for the outcome!

TLp5X8n.png
WOWOWOWW YOU DID SO GOOD ON THIS!!! THE SPARKLES AND THE PRIMAL EYES LOOK SO GOOOOD

Back