• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Market Box Raiders

I’m still finding being cleared out stressful. I don’t know if it’s just my ethical make up but I do see clearing out nearly all of someone’s slots as unfair. Not just to the market box owner who in cases like mine feels that they need to refill them in a timely manner (in my case that’s at least 36 items which I need to fish or catch as well as collecting fruit) but also to other players who might need something. The only way I can explain it is that someone is happy to buy everything they think they will need because they don’t have the time or won’t make the time (or effort) to hunt and fish but are happy to make use of the fact that other people do have or make the time. I feel like often playing with this attitude is not in the spirit of fairness. A different scenario might be that a new player, who, needing to build up his or her own bells during the first few weeks of playing thinks that they are being helpful by providing income. Ah well. I continue to find it irritating when a friend clears out nearly all or all of my slots on more than a couple of occasions (like maybe once or twice they are really rushed but have a goal to achieve like during an event which I understand) and when a non friend clears me out I do feel quite annoyed. I don’t want to raise prices or stop filling my market box although lately I have had times when I’ve had no choice but to leave it quite empty due to my own time constraints.

I apologise if my tone seems grumpy, it’s happened a couple of times to me lately when I’ve been time poor. I feel stressed when I don’t have time to restock because I worry I’m not going to be able to support my friends, the vast majority of whom I notice only buy a few much needed items.

I think you just need to try to take the pressure off of yourself... it seems like you're feeling the NEED to fill your market boxes, when really it's just a nicety, as obviously you're not doing it for max profit like some are.

I use mine to just basically "donate" my extra items to other players. I am making profit (at least more than what the sell back to the game is) but not more than I would get for helping a villager, and I only list items that I have a lot of.

So I basically catch/collect everything before and then again after doing all of a villager's tasks on that piece of the map, so naturally I get a ton of extra shells and fruits, which I happily list anytime they go over my personal storage max, which per item I consider 15. But when I get a lot of extra bugs or fish or whatever else I'll list it too.

I only really fill up my market box when I go to gather something and can't 'cause I've maxed my inventory. Then I do a quick sweep and list all my extras (as much as I can as I don't have an upgraded box) and maybe sell off a few things just back to the game, mostly the "rare" things which I never bother selling in market box because I don't think any price is fair between sell back and what I get from a villager, who rarely ask for it anyways.

This method takes the stress off of me to constantly check and restock cause I want this game to be fun, AS IT SHOULD BE. Sure, I want to help others out but that's not my ultimate goal. I don't want the game to stress me out, or anyone for that matter! (Well, I mean besides the darn safaris!) I know the snipes can be rude, especially, when on my end I have concrete evidence that he is only collecting my cheap items to re-sell for profit in his market box... =/ But it's best to not let it get you down, maybe try to implement a similar strategy, if you're just doing it to help and not for profit then just take it easy! No need to put yourself under such stress for something so trivial!

I think you’re on to something Kaydee I am taking it all a bit seriously. I have decided to be a bit more relaxed about it because I was on holiday when I started playing and had plenty of time each day to spend playing but I’m back at work now so I can’t play every day. And the time I have to play is much less. I think my friends will survive if I am a bit more relaxed about about the whole thing. Thanks for your support and ideas.

I don?t know if it?s just my ethical make up but I do see clearing out nearly all of someone?s slots as unfair.

I would never argue that the way you feel is wrong. We all have different approaches to the game and that's fine. It is important to remember, though, that not everyone feels the same way you do about their Market Box. If, for example, I fill mine with stuff that I don't care who buys it, I just want the bells, then it's not really fair to say that someone is being unethical by buying all my slots. Because there's no way for that person to know if they're clearing out you (who hates it) or me (who loves it). So there really is no objectively fair or ethical stance here.

I really am sorry that this is a thing that upsets you about the game, though. I'm not blowing off the way you feel about it. On the whole I like the fact that contact with other players is extremely limited, but it does raise problems in cases like these.

The only way I can explain it is that someone is happy to buy everything they think they will need because they don?t have the time or won?t make the time (or effort) to hunt and fish but are happy to make use of the fact that other people do have or make the time. I feel like often playing with this attitude is not in the spirit of fairness.

Here's another way to look at it that might help. This game is played by all kinds of people with all kinds of abilities and all kinds of differences. A little kid might love interacting with all the animals but isn't good at catching bugs or fish, or isn't allowed to have that much time, so when they can make their own bells and buy the stuff that lets them keep playing, it's awesome for them. This game is also very accessible for people with disabilities, but some may still have problems fishing or catching, or can't play the game for that long because of fatigue or brain overload.

The point is, since you don't know someone's reason for buying you out, you might as well give them the benefit of the doubt and enjoy the bells. It's really nice that you want to be a help to your friends and I'm sure you are. But I hope you can be a little less stressed out about this since you're probably helping all kinds of different people (and yes, some jerks too, I'm sure!), and that's really cool.

I wouldn't object to some reserved boxes for friends but since we can't communicate in-game how would you determine contents?

I think this is still a great idea though. I'd like to assign some of my slots to expensive/showoffy things with everything I've collected (got my last fish AND bug today!), and some for regular resources for anyone that I would price a little higher, and then friend-only stuff I would price lower. I guess I would just see what sells regularly in the friends-only boxes and keep those in stock. But I would *have* to be able to rearrange my slots. It's really annoying me that I can't.

I was in a hurry earlier today and made someone a ton of bells through lack of coordination -- I had left the game running and when I picked up my phone I must have brushed the screen and ended up buying a single fish for 60k bells. LOL.

Ouuuuuuch!

Huh, I didn't realise there were social expectations for the market box feature. I've just treated it as an "excess item converter" (item into more coins than otherwise possible). I throw whatever I have spare into the boxes unless the randomness bothers me. Then I add more of that type (fruit or shells) until I fill the boxes or else I forget lol.

I've had people buy out half or more of the boxes (I have 16 for now, too much hassle to add more). I don't care, I just refill when I can be bothered. Sometimes it's a week or longer before I get around to it. If I hadn't put so many *special* fish and bugs out coz they were so exciting to have multiples of at first, then I'm sure my boxes would be empty more often than not - I always leave prices at default minimum, no exceptions now (combination of too much effort for too little gain, and having too many bells with nothing much left to buy).

The only thing about market boxes that bothers me, personally : I really, REALLY wish there was an option to "retrieve" items from sale and return them to your normal inventory if you want to. That's why I never add quest-item fish and bugs anymore, coz I get irritated enough at seeing the fruit and shells I occasionally need sitting there taunting me lol.

It was be really helpful if players could set up a "notice board" type of sign, that visitors (inc those looking at your market boxes) can see where we can note important things.. obviously implementing + utilising that would be complicated given language barriers, etc. Maybe we could get a list of Qs with Yes/No answers, and the results are shown for visitors in their (game setting) language?

I dunno, just seems a shame that so many easily-resolved misunderstandings are allowed to just keep happening in such a lovely little game.

I would never argue that the way you feel is wrong. We all have different approaches to the game and that's fine. It is important to remember, though, that not everyone feels the same way you do about their Market Box. If, for example, I fill mine with stuff that I don't care who buys it, I just want the bells, then it's not really fair to say that someone is being unethical by buying all my slots. Because there's no way for that person to know if they're clearing out you (who hates it) or me (who loves it). So there really is no objectively fair or ethical stance here.

I really am sorry that this is a thing that upsets you about the game, though. I'm not blowing off the way you feel about it. On the whole I like the fact that contact with other players is extremely limited, but it does raise problems in cases like these.

Here's another way to look at it that might help. This game is played by all kinds of people with all kinds of abilities and all kinds of differences. A little kid might love interacting with all the animals but isn't good at catching bugs or fish, or isn't allowed to have that much time, so when they can make their own bells and buy the stuff that lets them keep playing, it's awesome for them. This game is also very accessible for people with disabilities, but some may still have problems fishing or catching, or can't play the game for that long because of fatigue or brain overload.

The point is, since you don't know someone's reason for buying you out, you might as well give them the benefit of the doubt and enjoy the bells. It's really nice that you want to be a help to your friends and I'm sure you are. But I hope you can be a little less stressed out about this since you're probably helping all kinds of different people (and yes, some jerks too, I'm sure!), and that's really cool.

I think this is still a great idea though. I'd like to assign some of my slots to expensive/showoffy things with everything I've collected (got my last fish AND bug today!), and some for regular resources for anyone that I would price a little higher, and then friend-only stuff I would price lower. I guess I would just see what sells regularly in the friends-only boxes and keep those in stock. But I would *have* to be able to rearrange my slots. It's really annoying me that I can't.

Ouuuuuuch!

You?ve really opened my mind about it all. I think I have been too serious about the whole thing and not keeping in mind that there would be lots of younger people or people with various abilities playing, many with limited time. I appreciate your input and reminder that it?s really just a game and other players are playing well within the actual ?rules? when buying lots at once.

Maybe it?s because I have accumulated so many bells because I don?t care about updating my camper and at the higher levels you keep needing to sell resources all the time when the 999 storage limit is reached. So bells aren?t really a focus for me, they just keep accumulating removing the obvious and probably intended reward for selling through the market box. Without that reward I became too caught up in the emotional and social aspect of it rather than the financial.

So thank you for asking the time to provide a new perspective.

I cringe about how silly I was when I first posted this thread... ^-^; I don't know why I got so worked up about it. I've become way more chill when opening up pocket camp in the past few weeks because I'm not worrying about whatever happens to my market box and I really don't mind if they didn't drop by to say hi. There are so many other factors that are involved like people who play on slow devices and can't load zones properly for example (which I had experienced myself the first few months I played).

I'm so much more easy going now and I have everyone's input to thank for that. I haven't given up on filling it up and keeping it organised but it isn't a priority and it really shouldn't be because that's not what the game is about.

To anyone else who may have similar thoughts about your market box getting cleared out, don't let it get in the way of your enjoyment of the game. There is just too much needless frustration when you worry about being bought out all the time. Let's all just have fun! :)

I find it ridiculous how serious some people get over this. Stop feeling the need to stock up your market box if people buying you out stresses you out.

Sue me.

I cringe about how silly I was when I first posted this thread... ^-^; I don't know why I got so worked up about it. I've become way more chill when opening up pocket camp in the past few weeks because I'm not worrying about whatever happens to my market box and I really don't mind if they didn't drop by to say hi. There are so many other factors that are involved like people who play on slow devices and can't load zones properly for example (which I had experienced myself the first few months I played).

I'm so much more easy going now and I have everyone's input to thank for that. I haven't given up on filling it up and keeping it organised but it isn't a priority and it really shouldn't be because that's not what the game is about.

To anyone else who may have similar thoughts about your market box getting cleared out, don't let it get in the way of your enjoyment of the game. There is just too much needless frustration when you worry about being bought out all the time. Let's all just have fun! :)

I totally chilled out stopped feeling the need to fill my market box, left it empty for a couple of weeks ... today feeling chilled I just restocked and **BAM** within five minutes it was totally cleared out by one guy. :D I started to have a strong reaction and then I just started to laugh. Came here to reread this thread like therapy. Hello. My name is Angel and I?m a market box stresser, it has been two weeks since my last market box melt down. Now join me in the serenity prayer ....

LOL I thought of you the other day, because I saw that my mom had stocked her Market Box, and the first thing I thought was "I'll buy everything so she can make some bells!" And then I thought "Hmm...I better ask her first." :D

Ahh it's so good to see you guys are able to enjoy the game again more!! It's amazing the good a change in perspective and priorities can do, but it's not always easy, that's for sure!

:)

- - - Post Merge - - -

LOL I thought of you the other day, because I saw that my mom had stocked her Market Box, and the first thing I thought was "I'll buy everything so she can make some bells!" And then I thought "Hmm...I better ask her first." :D

I've been having the same thoughts when I come across a player that seems to be fairly new (no finished amenities, friendship furniture pieces, etc). I used to just buy everything before because I have nothing to spend my bells on but now I'm more cautious lol.

I actually thought about this thread the other day too! I normally hunt for bugs or fish on each map before I fulfill the current requests for that map, but during the Leif event I got a little behind, and ran out of a lot of things. There was a fresh face on my beach with wonderful prices, and I only had a short while to finish the requests for that cycle. Now, I didn't buy them out completely, but I did buy enough to make me uncomfortable that I would upset them, but I truly needed everything I bought at that moment, and my boxes were mostly full at the time. It just goes back to what I said somewhere in this thread that there is no way to know the motivations of people who are buying a lot of items.

Also, on not stressing out about my own boxes. I upped my prices a little, so I either sell 2 for 50 or 3 for 100. It's not too high that my friends will take a big hit if they need items, but it does deter frequent mass buyouts a bit. I also don't fill my boxes as much (maybe once a day or throwing extras in when my inventory is full), so there's not that feeling of working really hard to help friends only to have a stranger buy everything.

Still, I wouldn't mind a few more options to manage our boxes. Like, can we please....PLEASE....just fill the market box we click on rather than have them load from left to right? OR can we have a sort button, or the ability to manually move boxes around in the inventory?? I also wouldn't mind a sort inventory button for the items we carry. Am I the only one who wants more organization?? lol

I could definitely see how this could bother you. I think the best thing you can do to prevent raiders is to friend them then block them. XD

I personally sell 5 of something for 250 (which I have no idea whether that's low or too high) and I haven't really had issues with it. Most of the time, I put up stuff in the market box to clear out inventory (I tend to keep 10 or less of each unless it's rare). My villagers have a pattern of asking for at least 8 of the same item and the game will be too stubborn to spawn them. I usually just buy 2-3 stocks from friends just because the game will not spawn the creature, lol. I will always leave kudos since I spend a lot of time going through my entire friend list.

People will buy from me every few days so I try to keep it somewhat stocked (at least 4 different creatures or items). I do get happy when people buy my items. You never know if it's a child or an adult with limited time or massive lag (and let's be real, Pocket Camp is pretty time consuming) so I don't mind at all when others buy. My phone is extremely slow so I knew I wouldn't want to have Pocket Camp on it so I play on my tablet.

Try not to stress out too much! <3

Still, I wouldn't mind a few more options to manage our boxes. Like, can we please....PLEASE....just fill the market box we click on rather than have them load from left to right? OR can we have a sort button, or the ability to manually move boxes around in the inventory?? I also wouldn't mind a sort inventory button for the items we carry. Am I the only one who wants more organization?? lol

Oh heck no. Besides a favorites list for friends, this is literally the main thing I want most in the game, better inventory and market box management.

So I am out of my one-tree-only fruit because the campers are all asking for fruit. There is only one guy visiting that has the two types of fruit I need in his market box. YEP you guessed it. It’s THAT guy who bought me out yesterday and then stocked his box at higher prices. I almost blocked him yesterday. But no I remembered the sage wisdom of my Belltree buddies and calmed down. Now I’ve just bought back my fruit from him at a higher price. Is that some kind of weird fate or what?

So I am out of my one-tree-only fruit because the campers are all asking for fruit. There is only one guy visiting that has the two types of fruit I need in his market box. YEP you guessed it. It’s THAT guy who bought me out yesterday and then stocked his box at higher prices. I almost blocked him yesterday. But no I remembered the sage wisdom of my Belltree buddies and calmed down. Now I’ve just bought back my fruit from him at a higher price. Is that some kind of weird fate or what?

If you have me added I usually always have fruit in my market box, I sell them at 3 for 100. =D

But that is kind of silly. I have a guy who does the same, but I usually shop around for someone who has better prices as I'd rather have to visit a few people instead of shelling out all my money to someone selling way too high!

So I am out of my one-tree-only fruit because the campers are all asking for fruit. There is only one guy visiting that has the two types of fruit I need in his market box. YEP you guessed it. It?s THAT guy who bought me out yesterday and then stocked his box at higher prices. I almost blocked him yesterday. But no I remembered the sage wisdom of my Belltree buddies and calmed down. Now I?ve just bought back my fruit from him at a higher price. Is that some kind of weird fate or what?

Ahhh that is such a weird coincidence!! Good for you for being able to calm yourself down!

Tbh I haven't even spoken to anyone 'visiting' since my friends roster became full. I sometimes look at the outfits but that's about all I've done in weeks now. I used to talk to everyone out of obligation but when I realised it was a chore to do it, and was putting me off of loading the game at all, I decided to try and stop doing it.

When I need items (usually one-tree-only fruit but occassionally bugs/fish when it's almost the end of the 3-hourly-cycle?) I just look through my friends roster + click all the "help needed" messages. If I see fruit/whatever or I know they often have it, then I'll visit them after clicking the Shovelstrike Quarry help box thing. I'll water the garden if needed (and add bugs during an event), then give kudos, then check market box and buy anything I need. Idc about the price, coz bells are just not an issue, but I don't think I see fruit at more than 2-3 pieces for 200bells very often at all. More commonly it's 3-5 for 100bells. Either way, it works for me...;)

I like it when people buy stuff from my market box. I have never had someone buy almost everything before, but if they did I would just think "more bells for me."

Back