Shadow Kitty Plush
Shadow Kitty Plush
Shadow Kitty Plush
Shadow Kitty Plush
Hello :)

Below is a thread documentation of me making and sourcing my Halloween costume:

1686134271982.png

Last edited:
I am not very experienced in sewing (and definitely not cosplay) but I have managed to sew some piping on a bag a couple times.

You could probably attach it wrong side up first, by either hand sewing or using fabric glue, then flip it over and ladder stitch the other side. (Similar to attaching bias tape, like in this video) Kinda hard to explain what I mean. Fabric glue wouldn't last forever but might work for a day! I wonder if double-sided tape could work too?

If the ribbon you bought is satin-y or silk-y though, you might have a hard time, especially if you go the sewing route. It's slippery as heck and you have to use the right kinda thread and the right kinda needle for that type of fabric. I also imagine it might be tricky sewing by machine due to the shape of the garment but IDK 😅

Last edited:
Thank you :) Yeah the ribbon I bought is kind of satin-y I was thinking I just use my sewing machine to sew it on but I am not sure cause then you can see the stitching but I figure maybe if I use the same colour thread its fine.

I just realised I didn't buy thread.......

But I also got a thinner ribbon cause I didn't want to have it over the inside.... Just kind of placed in place on the front of the coat if that makes any sense?

I have decided to use fabric glue as I am only needing to glue the ribbon to create a piping effect on the jacket 😊

oohh i saw this thread earlier when you posted and was secretly wondering what route you'd take with attaching ribbon. i was super curious since in the sample image you provided, i think sewing the ribbon on to the blazer would have left visible stitches? this kinda led me down a rabbit hole with wondering how something like this could be achieved if it was sewn on 👀 i guess maybe if the thread used was the same colour as the ribbon, you wouldn't really be able to see it from far away. i don't own a sewing machine, but i can do some very basic hand sewing/mending so this was super interesting! i can't wait to see the finished product if you ever feel like sharing it once you're done!

I'd look around sewing videos and see if you could find something that would work, or could work with a little altering. I am not sure if a slip stitch is something that would work for you, but you can check it out and see if it could.

oohh i saw this thread earlier when you posted and was secretly wondering what route you'd take with attaching ribbon. i was super curious since in the sample image you provided, i think sewing the ribbon on to the blazer would have left visible stitches? this kinda led me down a rabbit hole with wondering how something like this could be achieved if it was sewn on 👀 i guess maybe if the thread used was the same colour as the ribbon, you wouldn't really be able to see it from far away. i don't own a sewing machine, but i can do some very basic hand sewing/mending so this was super interesting! i can't wait to see the finished product if you ever feel like sharing it once you're done!
Aww thank you so much for your interest it means a lot 😊

I have attached some pics of my blazar and ribbon the actual colour of the blazar is a dark navy not black and the ribbon colour is a wine not bright red I had very bad lighting.

I will try to take better pics as the costume is made 😊

Yeah I’m really torn cause if I sew it on then the stitching is visible.

I actually have a sewing machine but I’m not really in the mood to un stitch the blazar to sew the pipping in 😂

So I have purchased some fabric glue so I can apply a thin layer.
Post automatically merged:

I'd look around sewing videos and see if you could find something that would work, or could work with a little altering. I am not sure if a slip stitch is something that would work for you, but you can check it out and see if it could.
I keep thinking of ways I can do it and the only way I can is to un stitch the jacket to sew the pipping inside to hide the thread :(

Attachments

• 1681891075552.png
    1681891075552.png
    521.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 1681891094457.png
    1681891094457.png
    550.4 KB · Views: 13
☂️☂️☂️

Update: I have started 😊

The first part of the costume is getting the blazar correct.

Before Picture: Due to the lights the colour has changed but the jacket is actually a dark navy blue

1682070679297.png

I have started at the back of the blazar: Please note due to the lights the pipping is actually a dark wine colour

1682070791970.png

☂️☂️☂️

Last edited:
I have no idea who you will be for Halloween, but I am excited to see your progress, and can't wait to see your final costume! 😍

The blazer looks so good so far! It reminds me of the blazer from Penguindrum!

☂️☂️☂️

Update 3:

Yay I have finished the main details on the jacket, all pipping now on and all alterations to custom fit my husband have been completed.

(Please note due to the lights the jacket is actually dark navy and ribbon is dark wine)

1682504065889.png
1682504032124.png

Now the last thing I need to do is iron on the patch and jacket 1 is complete.
Now I need to source a jacket from an Op Shop ( Australian Thrift Store) for myself and start the process for mine.

I ordered 2 patches they are so nice omg :love:

1682503975838.png

In the meantime while I look for a jacket for myself I need to source the other parts of the costume I will keep dressing the model with the updated parts until the costume is completed.

I have 2 items coming in the mail which might be a week-ish but until then..

Thank you all for reading my thread :)

☂️☂️☂️

Last edited:
Update 3:

Yay I have finished the main details on the jacket, all pipping now on and all alterations to custom fit my husband have been completed.

(Please note due to lighting the jacket is dark navy and ribbon is dark wine)

View attachment 493222View attachment 493221

Now the last thing I need to do is iron on the patch and jacket 1 is complete.
Now I need to source a jacket from an Op Shop ( Australian Thrift Store) for myself and start the process for mine.

I ordered 2 patches they are so nice omg :love:

View attachment 493219

In the meantime while I look for a jacket for myself I need to source the other parts of the costume I will keep dressing the model with the updated parts until the costume is completed.

I have 2 items coming in the mail which might be a week-ish but until then..

Thank you all for reading my thread :)

Oh my gosh, I didn’t realise it from just the blazer, but you’re going as someone from Umbrella Academy! ☂️ That patch is really nice! I can’t wait to see the blazers with the patches on! Hopefully you’ll share the finished costume too!

Oh my gosh, I didn’t realise it from just the blazer, but you’re going as someone from Umbrella Academy! ☂️ That patch is really nice! I can’t wait to see the blazers with the patches on! Hopefully you’ll share the finished costume too!
Thank you @S.J. 😊 I plan to keep updating this thread with the final costume completed :)

Also congratulations 🎉🎉🎉 You have one my peach collectable :p would you like a message?

Thank you @S.J. 😊 I plan to keep updating this thread with the final costume completed :)

Also congratulations 🎉🎉🎉 You have one my peach collectable :p would you like a message?

Oh I didn't realise I won! I wasn't sure if there was a specific character you and your husband were each going for! The blazer and patch are going to look so good.

Thanks so much for the peach (I don't think I've had a peach collectible yet?!)! 😍🥰 Any message you can think of would be lovely! 🍑

Back