• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

least favourite fictional characters

fairysyndrome

love & support trans people. / free palestine.
Bells
Stardust Easter Egg
Froggy Easter Egg
Glitched Easter Egg
Wallopoid
Blue Moon Jellyfish
Blue Star Fragment
Quirky Doll
Cocotryoshka
Turquoise Squid Easter Egg
My Melody Easter Egg
since a lot of threads ask about favourites, i'm kind of curious -- instead of favourite, who are some of your least favourite characters in the media you consume?

my one rule for this question is no animal crossing characters, since we've got PLENTY of threads discussing favourite / least favourite villager, personality, etc. etc. going around on TBT. & this one is just a note or suggestion & not a rule, but you don't have to stick with like, obvious characters you're meant to dislike. like obvious and irredeemable villains or something. any character that just gets your goat is fine lol

actually wait second rule for this is play nice . if somebody lists a character you like don't bite their head off over it pwease i'm starting this thread for funsies to see different opinions not to cause fights

1.) Cullen from Dragon Age. i just find that everything i've seen and heard about this guy is kind of like... detestable, personally, and a handful of debacles involving his voice actor & what a terrible person he is in somewhat recent months left a super bad taste in my mouth. sure, separate character from actor if necessary and all that, but this is both a case where i Cannot and also even after separating them i do not like him :)

2.) Chrom from Fire Emblem. i love swinging bats at hornet nests but i don't like him because i think he's really immature and has 0 growth over the course of the game. can that be chalked up to awakening having bad writing? yes. can i still hold it against him for trying to screw the world over for one (1) person multiple times despite being a ruler whose sense of responsibility for the lives in his hands should be greater than this + his playing permanent victim card regarding conflict even after acknowledging his own country has its own bloodied, not-entirely-innocent history? also yes

3.) Sierra from Rune Factory. this one is a shame because i love her voice actress (GK Bowes does very good work) and i like her design, but her character grates so hard 😭 she's a co-owner of a general store with her twin brother and constantly ditches work to "go play" and leaves him with literally everything from cleaning the shop to checking the records to actually handling the customers. she even hires the main character at some points to do work deliveries for her and she just like..... never changes no matter how far along you progress with her character events. i love it when ladies in video games are selfish and all but there is a difference between selfishness and irresponsibility and she very much tips into the latter. the RF she's from too is my Favourite Game Ever^tm so it's tragic loathing a character from a game i love so much fgfmgmgf

mine is probably fiddleford from gravity falls. not even because of anything he's done or anything he's like or anything, but the fact that someone in a discord server i used to be in was a huge fan and also ended up being an exceptionally awful person and that whole experience soured the character for me.

now i can't even look at them without remembering that utter sack of garbage and getting mad about it all over again.

/endrant

i haven't really actively consumed a lot of media recently, but one character i will always remember despising (even to this day) is alison dilaurentis from pretty little liars. i'll put my reasons in a spoiler just for mentions of some bad things and, like, actual spoilers for the show in case anyone's ever planning to put themselves through that trainwreck lmao.

she was completely irredeemable in my eyes. she was emotionally abusive to all of her friends, she was a bully to the point where one girl even attempted suicide (or at least wanted to) because of her, she deliberately led on her sexually questioning friend (which was later retconned into being "genuine" feelings), she repeatedly fat-shamed one of her other friends to the point of all but giving her an eating disorder, she literally blinded another girl by throwing a stink bomb in her garage as a 'prank'. the list goes on. they revealed that she was actually alive in one of the later seasons, brought her back and tried to redeem her, and it was just... she was still a piece of crap to everyone and continued manipulating them even then. i think what makes it worse is how so much of the fandom just... lapped it up and glorified her behavior? yeah, she's fictional, but that doesn't mean people should've been endorsing her actions and "stanning" her. it wasn't too surprising though given that they acted very much like real world versions of her. when the character they shipped alison with was in a (happy, healthy) relationship with another wlw character, paige, a good majority of them literally went and harassed/bullied paige's actress on social media (to the point of making her feel suicidal iirc) and anyone who shipped paige/emily. a little off-topic, i know, but. damn, i hated that character and i hated her fans too. i still think it's whack as hell that she suffered minimal consequences for the things she did, that her 'friends' forgave her obscenely fast when she reappeared, and that the show gave her a happy ending. (which i think was retconned in the 'sequel' show, but only because the other actress wouldn't return or something so-)

There arent very many characters i actively dislike but when u mentioned fire emblem i immediately thought of peri from fates. I get why she is the way she is i guess but still. Extremely unlikable character. Rolled my eyes every time she was on screen. There are quite a handful of characters i dislike in that game, too many for me to give dishonorable mentions to lmao but she takes it home no questions asked.

this is in such diametric opposition to the rest of the fandom, but i absolutely cannot stand Diluc from genshin impact. i just... ugh. i hate him lmao. he just comes off as such an angsty edgy self-important jerk and i don't like that kind of character at all.
he's one of the most popular characters, though, so i constantly see him everywhere and... god i really wish i didn't have to lmao

I don’t like Duncan from Total Drama. Obviously he was a very important character to the show, but I feel like his character was ruined. That whole love triangle with him, Courtney and Gwen was terrible. He ruined Courtney and Gwen’s friendship. Courtney became this controlling, vindictive character and was blaming Gwen for what happened in their relationship, even though Duncan was the one that cheated. He knew exactly what he was doing. The fact that his behavior caused so much friction between Courtney and Gwen did it for me. Especially since Gwen was my favorite character.

Joker from Persona
Shadow from Shadow The Hedgehog.

Both of them are way, way too edgy. .-.

I love Ashley Tisdale but I hate Sharpay Evans, how many times do you have to learn not to be so selfish and entitled like tf? She has had the same development in 3 HSM films and 1 spinoff movie.

Tails, from Sonic (more like hate)

Juvia, from Fairytail

Sakura, from Naruto

Kaori, from Akira

Mamoru, from, From the new World

Yuno, from Future Diary

Lincenstine, from Hetalia

Serena, from Pokemon. As well as this other dude, but I cant remember his name.
----
Man, I'm ashamed by how many characters I dislike Haha 😅

The first ones to come to mind are Mineta from MHA and I might get hate for this but Hisoka from HxH.

rei ayanami was pretty boring but besides that i dont really have any characters that i hate

i haven't really actively consumed a lot of media recently, but one character i will always remember despising (even to this day) is alison dilaurentis from pretty little liars. i'll put my reasons in a spoiler just for mentions of some bad things and, like, actual spoilers for the show in case anyone's ever planning to put themselves through that trainwreck lmao.

she was completely irredeemable in my eyes. she was emotionally abusive to all of her friends, she was a bully to the point where one girl even attempted suicide (or at least wanted to) because of her, she deliberately led on her sexually questioning friend (which was later retconned into being "genuine" feelings), she repeatedly fat-shamed one of her other friends to the point of all but giving her an eating disorder, she literally blinded another girl by throwing a stink bomb in her garage as a 'prank'. the list goes on. they revealed that she was actually alive in one of the later seasons, brought her back and tried to redeem her, and it was just... she was still a piece of crap to everyone and continued manipulating them even then. i think what makes it worse is how so much of the fandom just... lapped it up and glorified her behavior? yeah, she's fictional, but that doesn't mean people should've been endorsing her actions and "stanning" her. it wasn't too surprising though given that they acted very much like real world versions of her. when the character they shipped alison with was in a (happy, healthy) relationship with another wlw character, paige, a good majority of them literally went and harassed/bullied paige's actress on social media (to the point of making her feel suicidal iirc) and anyone who shipped paige/emily. a little off-topic, i know, but. damn, i hated that character and i hated her fans too. i still think it's whack as hell that she suffered minimal consequences for the things she did, that her 'friends' forgave her obscenely fast when she reappeared, and that the show gave her a happy ending. (which i think was retconned in the 'sequel' show, but only because the other actress wouldn't return or something so-)

Oh. My. God. Yes.

Honestly I feel like most of the characters from Pretty Little Liars could go on this list, lmao. That show was an absolute mess and I still can't believe I watched the whole thing but Alison Dilaurnetis is a special kind of bad. I think that there's definitely a time and a place for bad characters to have redemption arcs and come out on top (Faith from Buffy or Catra from She-ra) but there's also a time and a place for some villains to just... stay villains. Not everybody is worthy or capable of having a redemption arc and trying to shoe-horn one in for Alison made her character so much worse.

There was no reason/justification behind any of her actions which automatically makes them harder for me to forgive. I don't think having a sob story automatically makes bad actions justifiable but at least I can understand the motivations a little bit better which makes some things easier to forgive. With Alison though, everything she did just seemed to come from this genuinely malicious place of her getting enjoyment out of other people's suffering. And that never seemed to change. It's been years since I watched the show but from what I can remember I don't think she ever actually did anything redemption worthy? We were just suddenly being told that she had changed, was a better person now, and that we should accept and forgive her. I was absolutely not on board with that though and then to make matters worse they had her get together with Emily?? The show was definitely not a beacon for LGBT+ rights but pairing them together just added insult to injury. It's bad enough the rest of the friend group welcomed her back in but to have Emily get romantically involved with her past abuser???? I can't.

Completely unrelated, though, I also don't like Elend from the Mistborn trilogy. This one probably isn't a totally fair one to add because I haven't actually finished the trilogy yet but... part of that is because of Elend. I don't like the direction his story arc went in and maybe it'll change but as it stands his story arc sort of dampened the enjoyment of the overall story for me. I don't think he is a terrible character himself but I have bitter feelings towards him nonetheless, lol.

No particular order to my list.

1. Ichigo Kurosaki - Bleach - one of the most boring characters to me. The whole I want to save everyone and let’s charge headfirst without thinking gets old after awhile. I do like some characters like that but Idk, I find Ichigo’s personality and character pretty bland. His dad and Zangetsu intrigue me much more than him.

2. Rukia - Bleach - I also find her pretty boring.

3. Orihime - Bleach - I dislike her more than Ichigo. I just am not impressed with her character and I find her extremely annoying

4. Nami - One Piece - She has gotten better over time and now fights and defends herself but her manipulative nature and expecting the guys to defend her and protect the treasure while she hid, annoyed me. Even now, I am still not a fan of her or how the anime sexualizes her and Robin more than they already were.

5. Leonie - Fire Emblem Three Houses - her obsession with Captain Jeralt and jealousy of Byleth gets so annoying and while I know she looks up to him, the degree of how much she looks up to him seemed so unhealthy especially since she picked up his bad habits.

6. Peri - Fire Emblem Fates - annoying and not much character other than she likes to kill and cries kinda a lot.

7. Boa Hancock - I didn’t like how she kicked the kitten, puppy and seal and said she will be forgiven because she is so beautiful. She is alright but honestly that bugged me.

8. Mikasa Ackermann - AoT- her clinginess to Eren was annoying and while I understood her reason for
attacking Levi over who got the shot
, that seriously ticked me off. In fact, she ticked me off through most of the series (I am not caught up to date) even though I know she is a well written character and is a good friend. I don’t like her lol.

9. Eren - AoT - he has matured a bit and I guess he’s not as bad as he used to but I can’t get myself to like him. I liked Eren Kruger and his dad a lot more. I don’t fault Eren for how he acted since his experience was beyond nightmarish hell but I still don’t like him lol.

10. Sasuke - I used to like Sasuke but as the story progressed I disliked him more. I don’t think he deserved Sakura. He is an interesting character but the stuff he did and how he was even at the end of Naruto left bitterness in my mouth.

11. Isabelle - Dragon Age II - I didn’t like the bug that never got fixed where she goes has some fun with Zevran even if he was in a relationship with my Warden. Lay off, sister! I may have liked her a little more after reading the comics that go into her background a little, but not much.

There are plenty more but I will leave it at that for now.

I'm a big Marvel and DC fan.

First person that came to mind is Superman. How many powers does he need? Just boring because he's kind of like a do it all.

Oh. My. God. Yes.

Honestly I feel like most of the characters from Pretty Little Liars could go on this list, lmao. That show was an absolute mess and I still can't believe I watched the whole thing but Alison Dilaurnetis is a special kind of bad. I think that there's definitely a time and a place for bad characters to have redemption arcs and come out on top (Faith from Buffy or Catra from She-ra) but there's also a time and a place for some villains to just... stay villains. Not everybody is worthy or capable of having a redemption arc and trying to shoe-horn one in for Alison made her character so much worse.

There was no reason/justification behind any of her actions which automatically makes them harder for me to forgive. I don't think having a sob story automatically makes bad actions justifiable but at least I can understand the motivations a little bit better which makes some things easier to forgive. With Alison though, everything she did just seemed to come from this genuinely malicious place of her getting enjoyment out of other people's suffering. And that never seemed to change. It's been years since I watched the show but from what I can remember I don't think she ever actually did anything redemption worthy? We were just suddenly being told that she had changed, was a better person now, and that we should accept and forgive her. I was absolutely not on board with that though and then to make matters worse they had her get together with Emily?? The show was definitely not a beacon for LGBT+ rights but pairing them together just added insult to injury. It's bad enough the rest of the friend group welcomed her back in but to have Emily get romantically involved with her past abuser???? I can't.

genuinely never hated a character more than her. or a show, frankly. it was trash anyway, and had a lot of nasty characters, but alison was... something else entirely. there was no reason or justification for her actions, like you said. at best, she had strict parents, and that was it. she never actually did anything redemption worthy, everyone was just supposed to forgive her because someone tried to kill her (not that i actually remember who anymore because of how nonsensical the plot got in later seasons.) and she'd been in hiding alone for two years or something. it was always more of an, "oh, look at poor alison, someone tried to kill her, she went to prison for a little bit in S5, she's emotionally traumatized, the girl she's in love with has a girlfriend, feel bad for her," sort of rhetoric. it always made me uncomfortable. especially because, in contrast, they repeatedly used the narrative to paint a mentally ill WOC (who suffered a psychotic break largely because of alison's bullying) as irredeemable despite her actively trying to atone for what she'd done through the seasons and being genuinely remorseful. unlike alison who continued to be manipulative, emotionally abusive and throw people under the bus for self-gain/to get her own way.

and then the whole emily/alison thing, which was largely done for fanservice, like... please. this show was already horribly homophobic (ironic since i think it was written by a lesbian) because it killed off almost all of its LGBT+ characters (and largely only them), so putting the main wlw with her past abuser who literally gaslit, lied to and manipulated her, and then making them get happily married and have twin girls was so-

she really should've just stayed dead.

I can't stand Ash from Pokemon. I'm fine with him staying as a kid, never aging, all that, his personality is just unbearable to watch for me. I love to watch clips of the battles from the anime but could never continuously watch episodes.

Barry from The Flash is the whole reason why I stopped watching the show, and the whole West family in general is annoying (though I've heard they're better in the comics). Can we just have Caitlin and Cisco as main characters, please?

There's so much generic about Marvel that's it's painful to watch, but there's some neat characters. Captain America and Iron Man are not in that "neat characters" category, I really don't think they add anything significant to the movies. You could remove them and honestly make it so much more interesting.

I like Gilmore Girls the show, but I was rewatching it recently and came to the conclusion that I really hate Rory Gilmore as a character, especially in the later seasons. I could go on and on about this, but I think my reasoning boils down to her obnoxiousness and selfishness. She thinks the entire world revolves around her, and consequently treats others like crap. I also think her mom Lorelei is a funny character but can also get equally annoying, immature, and obnoxious.

I also really don't like the majority of the characters in the Marvel movies. I feel like they just have no life, and are so flat. I remember watching one of the later movies where Scarlet Johansons character and the hulk are having some ~emotional~ conversation and I remember thinking huh thats sad but...I don't really care? I just think they could have written the characters better with more dimension since most of the time I didn't feel any emotion watching those movies. I'm sort of an empath and can easily connect with how characters in movies are feeling, but I just didn't feel anything when watching most of the Marvel movies.

Back