Pokémon Least favorite starter Pokémon

To be honest I've never exactly liked Fennekin. Its evolved forms are pretty neat but the first form is far from my favorite.

I have never ever seen someone say Fennekin is weird but delphox is cool.

What a crazy world

Fennekin looks awful and in all evolutions looks just as bad or worse. We already had a fire fox that was actually cool. Litten and Torracat look good but Incineroar is a gross bara furry and makes me cringe.

I don?t like Tepig, Oshwatt, Piplup, and Fenniken. Imo, they look like literal trash.

Last edited:
I'm still butthurt about how ugly Delphox is. I saw fanart before it was released which probably lead to my disappointment. It's ugly and the first two are so cute so wtffff.

As much as I love pigs, I dislike Emboar simply for being dual Fire/Fighting. He didn't need fighting, we could have had the first single typing starters in gen 5 since gen 2. You know, Serperior=grass, Samurott=water, Emboar=fire.

The Tepig line design I really like a lot, they're all so chubby! But, with so much health, why so low defense stats? Emboar could have been the first true tanky Fire starter (I do know Incineroar is really good in terms of bulk but compared to Emboar it doesn't have as much health)

Probably in the minority on this, but I've always thought Piplup looked a little generic. Empoleon is super rad, but Piplup? Nah. Cute, but not interesting enough.

Least favorite for me is Froakie, or more like it's evolutions. Frogadier is pretty lame and I never found
Greninja that great, at some points just totally overrated. The design is also weird, especially with that
long tongue around it's neck... Ugh.

Chikorita is also not really my favorite. Boring Pokemon with boring evolutions.

Oh boy. I have opinions.

I find a lot of the starting Pok?mon designs are lacking in recent generations.

Generation One: A
I'm not a "genwunner," but I have been playing since Red/Blue. The sprites were awful in the original games, but the Pok?mon themselves were interesting and had solid evolutionary patterns. I particularly liked the middle evolutions for all three of the Pok?mon possibly more than the first or final evolutions. Blastoise could have stood to be Water/Ice so that each third-stage evolution was dual type. Bulbasaur was dual-type from the start, which was interesting.

Generation Two: C+
This generation tried something different, with mono-type starter Pok?mon. Okay, interesting. I think the Pokemon maintained the simple-ish designs of the first generation and the evolutions fit the base models. Chikorita is a bit bland (particularly when it just becomes taller with Bayleef) and I have never really seen the appeal of Cyndaquil, though its evolutions look a little better. I kind of wish they figured out a way to give it eyes rather than the curved lines it received. Totodile is fine, but unexceptional.

Generation Three: B-
Compared to the first two generations, this one has a few missed opportunities (in my mind). Like my thoughts on Blastoise, it is interesting that Sceptile was mono-type while Swampert and Blaziken got secondary typings. Swampert was Water/Ground which made him incredibly useless against grass Pok?mon...I feel like that could have been an interesting thing to explore. What if Blaziken was a fire/rock chicken (double weak against water) and Sceptile was Grass/Bug (double weak against fire)? Just a thought. Either way, I find these to be acceptable if underwhelming starters. Mudkip and Torchic are the first starters to have the exact same eyes.

Generation Four: A-
I feel like this is the closest we get to the first generation in terms of starter quality. Turtwig hearkens back to Bulbasaur in all of the right ways, even down to its final evolution in Torterra. Pipulp is relatively the same shape as Squirtle and has the right amount of detail. Empoleon is a great final evolution. Chimchar has a fire tail and an interesting evolutions, though the "minus" in the grade is the repeated fire/fighting final evolution.

Generation 5: D
Full disclosure: I have never played a generation 5 game, so that might tinge my thoughts on the generation. Snivy [Smugleaf?] and Servine are comically bad designs, saved only by Serperior's interesting look. Even still, it follows Chikorita and Treeko's leads as grass-only starters. So that's disappointing. Tepig is a mess and looks over-designed (my common complaint with generation five). I can't help but imagine that a Spoink fell out of bed with a Magmar and that's what came from it. I don't care for the color scheme either. Did we need another fire/fighting? It's color scheme says "Fire/Dark." Oshawott is not cute, and I don't care for it's bipedal mid-stage evolution or whatever is going on with the shell-coated final evolution. It is also mono-water, like Blastoise and Totodile.

Generation Six: C-
I feel like there are some good stages to each of these, and some bad stages to each as well. The Dungeons and Dragons vibe (tank, mage, thief) of the final evolutions never took off with me, but I appreciate seeing a few different typings, particularly since this was the first generation to give each dual type advantage over the dual type in the grass-fire-water triangle. I like Chespin well enough (though I don't understand what is "grass" about him besides his weird spiked hoodie). Quilladin is a joke, and Chesnaught is a design nightmare. Again, nothing stands out as "grass" in any of these evolutions. I actually like Fennekin's design, even if Braixen is weird furry-bait. Delphox feels close to an interesting final starter, but that is more for the fire/psychic combination than the actual look. The stick wand is dumb. Everyone loves Greninja, but Froakie looks like a mess, though it fits its proportions a little better with Frogadier. Greninja is a bit over-designed, but I don't actually hate it (despite its oversaturation on the battle scene).

Generation Seven: B
Litten and its mid-stage look great. I don't even hate Incineroar, and am glad we missed another fire/fighting type. I like Popplio's look and don't dislike the middle stage, though I think Primarina is weirdly over the top. Rowlet might be a little boring, but I think it hearkens back to earlier generations. Dartrix is okay besides the 90s hairstyle and Decidueye is a busy final evolution, but a neat concept. I wish they could have done a little more with the second wheel (Dark-Fairy-Ghost) but it's all good there.

Generation Eight (First Evolutions Only): B-
We're going to get another fire/fighting for sure. Grookey looks fine enough but we're probably going to get another "Pokemon holding a stick" final evolution. Sobble seems out of place. I feel like a lot of starter Pok?mon lacked distinct personalities so the trainer could assign the personality to it through gameplay. But a crying amphibian? What happens when you get one with a bold or brave nature?

Last edited:
@chet_manley:

Just wanted to say I really like that ranking and it makes a lot of sense based on how you evaluated the Pok?mon. Also though, Incineroar is actually a fire/dark type... lmao. Don't know if you meant you're happy that it's not fire/fighting or what.

Excellent and well thought-out ranking though! :)

Last edited:
Incineroar is actually a fire/dark type... lmao. Don't know if you meant you're happy that it's not fire/fighting or what.
Good catch. To be honest, I totally forgot and just looked at a luchador cat and thought, "surely this is fire/fighting."

Tepig and Totodile are my least favorite starters. Don?t like either design wise, and dislike there evolutions as well. More on Tepig: having the Fire type starters being part Fighting for three generations in a row was rather uncreative.
Tepig was a such weird design choice, a fire pig? Bacon? Lol!
I like Finnekin, but like most people I can?t stand it?s evolutions!
I love Piplup and like Empoleon, however I don?t like Prinplup, I don?t really know why.

It's definitely one of the water types (probably Oshawott lol). Water type pokemon are a little overhyped to me? But I really think Sobble will change my mind about that~

I'm gonna get hated for that but I hate Turtwig. He looks kinda cute but his evolutions are terrible.
Also don't like Totodile for obvious reasons, and Chimchar.

I think that Chimchar is the only starter which I can say I genuinely dislike. Some of them have evolutions which don't appeal to me, like Charizard and Greninja, but the whole Chimchar line is a big meh for me. Infernape is okay, but Torterra and Empoleon are WAY better.
Also I don't hate Chikorita, but I do agree that it's the weakest of all the starters. I usually like picking grass types, but if I played Gen 2 I would be far from picking Chikorita.

Also RIP tepig/litten, I can't believe so many people dislike Incineroar and Emboar!

Least favourite... oh there's a lot to choose from.
Tepig, by far. And then Turtwig. And then Cyndaquil. Sorry if I offended anyone by that.

Last edited:
Back