• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon Favorite Pokémon Starter?

IonicKarma

Wishful Phoenix
Bells
Switch
4983-2347-1891
Pearlescent Crystal
Opalescent Crystal
Enchanted Bloom
Rose Crystal
Citrine Crystal
Star Glow Wand
Flower Glow Wand
Heart Glow Wand
Flower Glow Wand
Star Glow Wand
We start every game with one, but we can only pick one! Often times we can’t even get another without trading? Which one would you pick if a game had every single starter in it? Would your choice be different if it couldn’t evolve?

Technically Pikachu and Eevee are starters due to let’s go series so I’d pick Eevee, but they aren’t mainline games so I’d pick Chikorita!

Would probably go with Chimchar, who was my first Pokemon anyway since I started the series with Diamond.

I usually choose Fire types and rarely deviate from that, except in gen 6 when I chose Froakie first.

squirtle and turtwig! turtles are my favorite lol, but it's always hard to pick because a lot of different starters hold spots in my heart for different reasons.

i've only played a handful of generations, but out of the ones i've picked, it's probably between litten and sprigatito. even looking at starters for games i haven't played, i think it would still be those two.

Cyndaquil was the first starter I chose myself so I've got to say him. Although unfortunately his 3d model let typhlosion let him down a bit for a while.

Quaxly and Litten I like quite alot too

My favorite starters are Eevee (I love it and all its evolutions, especially Sylveon) Popplio (my favorite stage is Brionne), and Chikorita (my favorite stage is meganium).

If I could only pick based on its first form, I’d probably choose Scorbunny, Chespin, or Fennekin.

My favorite has been Chikorita ever since I played Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue Rescue Team and was assigned it by the personality test.

This is a tough is one. I will answer it after a LONG story. My first starter is Squirtle that I named Salty in Blue. Since I thought I got Blue version I had to pick the turtle starter. Silly child-me! I switched to Charmander for Yellow and loved Fire for a while so I also chose Cyndaquil in Gen2. Got Torchic briefly in Hoenn but restarted after seeing my rival with Marshtomp and this started the trend of me picking Water. Squirtle in LeafGreen, Piplup in Sinnoh, Totodile in HeartGold, Anyway...you may think..Snek must have picked Snivy right in Unova, right? No, I picked Oshawott. I always went straight water. However, that was in Black2. In White2 I picked Snivy. I hated pigs so Tepig was never used. What does my starter history have to do with my favourite starter? Everything. At the time of release of X and Y, Froakie was actually not the overall favourite. He was actually the least popular of the 3. Many found Chespin cute because it was the first mammal Grass type. Fennekin was the most popular. Everyone envisioned Fennekin's final evo on all four feet. Silly them! Anyway...Froakie is my favourite starter and will probably always will be be. I chose it immediately in both X and Y. I didn't care about the other starters until post game and even getting them from the Friend Safaris never made me regret choosing Froakie. The XY playthroughs were some of my most fun playthroughs and mostly because of Greninja. I will be getting him again in Legends ZA somehow and I hope GF goes all Charizard on him and gives him a cool new Mega.
Ninja frog is best frog 🥷🐸

Last edited:
cyndaquil is my number one as he's super cute and 2nd gen is my favorite gen of all time. fire starters have always been my favorite until they started making them kinda.... not that cute after torchic (sorry LOL) so i ended up going to water starters. oshawott is my 2nd favorite followed by piplup or rowlet.

It’s Totodile, which isn’t a surprise. My second favorite has to be Mudkip. Although, I prefer the middle evolutions in both of these, even over the first and final forms; Croconaw and Marshstomp, respectively.

I’m indecisive! Currently I’m tied between either Popplio, Scorbunny, or Quaxly. Popplio was the starter I chose for my very first game, Ultra Sun. I can see why people were turned off by its final evolution, but I personally like it. Scorbunny is one of the few starters I am fond of that is not a water-type, mainly because of the adorable designs of its evolutions and its overall strength. And Quaxly was my first Pokemon in Scarlet, which is currently my favorite Pokemon game. Unfortunately I’m not a fan of its final evolution, so if I were to pick any starter and it couldn’t evolve, I’d choose Quaxly in a heartbeat. As for if it can evolve? No clue.

It's really hard, Legend Arceus was probably the closest to giving me full choice paralysis. If they had thrown in Bulbasaur I'd be sitting there for days trying to decide between Cyndaquil, Rowlet and Bulbasaur. All three of those are my top of the list starters.

Anytime I'm asked this question, my automatic response is Bulbasaur 🌱 at least, when it comes to Grass Starters, it's my favorite! It's hard NOT to choose Bulbasaur whenever the chance arises. If we're talking Fire Starters, that honor goes to Litten 🔥 and lastly, out of all the Water Starters, I always gotta have my Sushi! 💧(it's the nickname I give Oshawott each and every time I use one on my team)

So naturally, in Legends Arceus, I picked Oshawott. In my most recent playthrough of Scarlet, I used an Oshawott, and in my current run of Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon? That's right, it's Oshawott. I really can't help it. It's just so adorable!! It's such a perfect design, just look at that round head, those stubby paws, the way it walks and its adorable smile, and that white and blue color scheme is just the best. And the way it sleeps, using its Scalchop like a nice, comfy pillow <3<3<3

I'm one of the very few that enjoys using Chikorita, and every now and then I use Cyndaquil, too, but for some reason I never want to use Totodile! Even though I actually like it and its evolutions.

I'm more of a Treecko gal, too. In general, I mostly lean towards Grass Starters, with my least favorite being Sprigatito. My second favorite Fire Starter? It has to be Cyndaquil, with Fuecoco right behind it 🔥🔥🔥

This is a tough one.

For the final evolution & battle purposes - not looks, I’d pick Piplup or Mudkip if I’m not using Quagsire (one of my favorites to use and in general).

For starter’s appearance, Charmander, Cyndaquil or Mudkip. (Litten too if I had played the game). For grass type (since I just realized I didn’t mention a grass type) I think Bulbasaur would be my favorite since I like how it looks for all its evolutions otherwise I’d say (in spite not playing Violet yet) Sprigatito.

I don’t remember Pokemon Black/White well, but I’m pretty sure I didn’t pick Oshawott 💔. I definitely think Oshawott is one of the cutest starters; shoutout to @LittleMissPanda who has helped me appreciate it and its cuteness more as well as other Pokemon more ☺.

From all the games I’d pick Eevee, my lets go starter, but from just the mainline games I’d pick Bulbasaur - it was my first fave Pokemon and the first one I played so always has a special place in my heart.

Generation 2 and 4 have my favourite overall starter trios though, Chikorita, Cyndaquil and Turtwig are my top picks from them - think I generally lean towards the grass starters.

Of all the Pokémon starters... hmmm... I think Charmander would be my pick for #1. Idk, Charmander is just classic. Of the newer gens, I think I'd go with Fennekin!

My favorite Grass starter is definitely Snivy (though Sprigatito is really great too). My favorite Water starter is maybe Totodile, because I like all the evolutions for it. I love Squirtle and Wartortle but I just don't care for Blastoise.

Chespin. I always get sad not more people like it, but they really goofed with it's evolutions. I sitll love chesnaught though.

Cyndaquil is a VERY close second as it was my first starter.

Back