• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon Sadness from Shiny Hunting

Wow! I was thinking of checking out Arceus before the Sc/Vi DLC was announced. I'm really glad I didn't. I'm sure the story is fun & the game is challenging but I wouldn't have enjoyed smacking the Pokemn as they ran away. Wait... there's no egg hatching? How do you breed Pokemon?

I'm enjoying the egg breeding so far. I'm sorry you're not having any luck with Arrokuda. I hope you get one soon!
It's definitely a bit different from the regular games! As for breeding Pokemon, you can't do that in this game at all. The upside is that you can catch all of the Pokemon without needing to trade for them. Shiny hunting is also a lot easier in Arceus thanks to the shiny sound effect that plays even if you aren't facing the Pokemon at the time, as well as loads of mass outbreaks which never stop for the day.

And thanks! I'm glad you were able to find a better solution. Hope you get your shiny Mimikyu soon!

I feel bad if I have a pokemon in their 30s and I run into a lv 5 or 2 and kill it. I think it's just part of being human. Digital things aren't part of the natural world but our brain can still interpret as so or we continue the same auto reasoning.
I'd look into another method of shiny hunting if it continues to bother you.

It's definitely a bit different from the regular games! As for breeding Pokemon, you can't do that in this game at all. The upside is that you can catch all of the Pokemon without needing to trade for them. Shiny hunting is also a lot easier in Arceus thanks to the shiny sound effect that plays even if you aren't facing the Pokemon at the time, as well as loads of mass outbreaks which never stop for the day.

And thanks! I'm glad you were able to find a better solution. Hope you get your shiny Mimikyu soon!
Arceus is defintely more different than I realized. I do like the part about being able to catch all the Pokemon without needing to trade. That must make things a bit easier. A sound effect for shiny hunting sounds super helpful! I hope they add that to all Pokemon games. I haven't really used the Mass Outbreaks but I have read about how helpful they are.

I'm glad I learned about a different way. The Masuda method is absolutely more my cup of tea. Here's hoping we both get our shinies soon! 🤞
Post automatically merged:

I feel bad if I have a pokemon in their 30s and I run into a lv 5 or 2 and kill it. I think it's just part of being human. Digital things aren't part of the natural world but our brain can still interpret as so or we continue the same auto reasoning.
I'd look into another method of shiny hunting if it continues to bother you.
I feel bad when that happens as well. Tbh, I try to run away if I can. Since I had never shiny hunted before I didn't know how I'd feel about it. I hadn't read blogs or anything about shiny hunting making people sad so I wasn't sure if it was just me or not.

I'm doing the Masuda method and I'm enjoying it so much more.

I didn't know that pokemon wouldn't auto battle shinies😲 that will definitely help me when I go to hunt a shiny genuine sinistea. I also prefer Matsuda though because I can do things like watch TV while hunting. I found my shiny mimikyu with only 16 eggs without the charm but I know that's really lucky because I have the charm now and was trying for a hoppip and I've hatched 168 and still nothing😵‍💫 I wish you luck in getting your shiny soon though!

I'm not a big shiny hunter, but that's because I have no patience. I have tried hunting in games besides Legends (the starter in ORAS, for example), but gave up because I am impatient.

I didn't know that pokemon wouldn't auto battle shinies😲 that will definitely help me when I go to hunt a shiny genuine sinistea. I also prefer Matsuda though because I can do things like watch TV while hunting. I found my shiny mimikyu with only 16 eggs without the charm but I know that's really lucky because I have the charm now and was trying for a hoppip and I've hatched 168 and still nothing😵‍💫 I wish you luck in getting your shiny soon though!
I didn't know either. I'm glad my research can help you with your shiny hunting. I'm really enjoying the Masuda method. I'd rather hatch Pokemon than hunt them as far as shinies go. Wow! Sixteen eggs is super lucky! I'm over 100 eggs so far but I don't mind. I get to release the non shinies back into the wild. Although I am keep some with "amazing stats" to offer in Suprise trades. Thank you! I hope your shiny Sinistea hunting goes well!
Post automatically merged:

I'm not a big shiny hunter, but that's because I have no patience. I have tried hunting in games besides Legends (the starter in ORAS, for example), but gave up because I am impatient.
Until now I'd never tried shiny hunting because I had read that it took so long & was so hard. I know lots of people who aren't into shiny hunting. It's really not everyone's cup of tea. Right now I'm enjoying breeding for shinies but if it ever gets tedious I'll stop.

Please don't make fun of me or laugh at me but until just recently I had never gone shiny hunting before. I had read about how hard it was and time intensive. I honestly didn't think I'd have the willpower to make a successful go of trying. I never wanted a ton of shiny Pokemon so the few I did want I usually bought from other players.

After Sc/Vi had been out for a while I started seeing posts about how shiny hunting in the new games was slightly easier thanks to the shiny hunting sandwich. After getting the Shiny Charm, I went to a website I trust that I've gotten great & accurate info from before. The site had a huge article about all the ways to shiny hunt in Sc/Vi. I looked over the different methods and picked one I thought I could handle. The method involved using the shiny sandwich and letting your Pokemon autobattle any of the Pokemon that spawned (of the Pokemon you're trying to find). The article said that your Pokemon would refuse to autobattle a shiny Pokemon. I thought that was great! If my Pokemon didn't battle a certain Pokemon then I would know it was shiny and I could swoop in to catch it.

I decided to go for a shiny Mimikyu as they're my favorite Pokemon. I grabbed a level 100 Pokemon so that it wouldn't gain any levels & make the game save. (I didn't have any other Pokemon out since I figured I wouldn't need any others.) I went to where the Mimikyu live, followed the steps & let my Pokemon go off autobattling. I knew it would probably still take a long time before I'd get a shiny so I was prepared to be at it for some time.

What I wasn't prepared for was how sad shiny hunting would make me. I ran around following my Pokemon as it autobattled Mimikyus. So many Mimikyu spawned! I'd never seen so many together at once. There were different sizes and they were all so cute! My Pokemon was just one shotting the little Mimikyu. Bam. Bam. Bam. By the time the shiny sandwich wore off my Pokemon had taken out well over a 100 Mimikyu. With each Mimikyu that went down I felt myself getting sadder and sadder. I couldn't figure out why I was sad at first. Then I realized that I wasn't sad because I hadn't found a shiny - I was sad because of all those Mimikyu that had been KO'd.

I stopped shiny hunting for the night. I wondered if maybe the website was wrong about my Pokemon refusing to autobattle shiny Pokemon. I reread the shiny hunting method to see if I had done something wrong. As far as I can tell I followed things correctly. If the website was correct about autobattling & I did everything properly then that meant that all those Mimikyu getting KO'd was what was supposed to happen when shiny hunting.

I still feel sad over all the Mimikyu my Pokemon fought. On one hand I feel silly that I feel so sad. The Mimikyu aren't real. My Pokemon I had fight them isn't real. It's all just pixels & programming, right? Right. Yet on the other hand... I still feel so sad. I can't help it. I thought I feel better after a day or two but I don't.

Has anyone else felt this way when they first started shiny hunting or am I just... odd? If you did feel this way, does it get easier? Also - just for my own knowledge - was the website right about Pokemon refusing to autobattle shiny Pokemon? I'm not sure I have it in me to try shiny hunting again.

I'm sorry this is so long. Thank you for reading.

Aww, I believe there's nothing wrong with you. You're just very empathetic and you have a kind and caring soul. Those are beautiful qualities and never make yourself feel bad for those traits.

You are not alone though! I get that way myself whenever I play Read Dead Redemption 2 Online! I refuse to kill coyotes because they sound and act too much like a dog. Whenever I hear them whimper, I feel sad so I avoid them always. My sister on the other hand has nooo problem with ridding them lol

I believe certain aspects of ourselves are discovered through situations we associate with on the daily and it (sometimes unbeknownst to them) helps people identify closely how they themselves perceive the world and their connection to it. Sometimes, others feel things very deeply and sometimes, others may not, and that's perfectly fine! Nothing wrong about that. Everyone is different after all!

Sometimes random scenarios just click stronger and you might tend to empathetically connect to the situation much more intense than others depending on how sensitive one is. It just shows your emotional intelligence is very strong and active. It can make you feel odd or even isolated because most don't tend to talk or show what may or may not affect them, making it hard to identify with what is "normal" but you'd be surprised to know how many people feel the same as you do.

If shiny hunting however does make you sad, perhaps staying away from such is a good idea so you don't have to feel sad whenever you play. You always take care of you first as you know your limits and boundaries. Know that you always have full control over you and what you can do to help protect your energy to keep it on the up and up if you can. Gaming should be fun after all! Also, yes, your pokemon will not attack a shiny as of a recent update iirc! Very much a needed thing!

There are other methods to shiny hunting too if you don't care for doing it that way! Breeding via Matsuda Method, random encounters or even looking for some in trades are a few ways to do it! I know that the knockout picnic method is quickest but with enough patience you'll get your shiny if determined enough! Just take your time with it and I know you'll get your shiny! 😁

Aww, I believe there's nothing wrong with you. You're just very empathetic and you have a kind and caring soul. Those are beautiful qualities and never make yourself feel bad for those traits.

You are not alone though! I get that way myself whenever I play Read Dead Redemption 2 Online! I refuse to kill coyotes because they sound and act too much like a dog. Whenever I hear them whimper, I feel sad so I avoid them always. My sister on the other hand has nooo problem with ridding them lol

I believe certain aspects of ourselves are discovered through situations we associate with on the daily and it (sometimes unbeknownst to them) helps people identify closely how they themselves perceive the world and their connection to it. Sometimes, others feel things very deeply and sometimes, others may not, and that's perfectly fine! Nothing wrong about that. Everyone is different after all!

Sometimes random scenarios just click stronger and you might tend to empathetically connect to the situation much more intense than others depending on how sensitive one is. It just shows your emotional intelligence is very strong and active. It can make you feel odd or even isolated because most don't tend to talk or show what may or may not affect them, making it hard to identify with what is "normal" but you'd be surprised to know how many people feel the same as you do.

If shiny hunting however does make you sad, perhaps staying away from such is a good idea so you don't have to feel sad whenever you play. You always take care of you first as you know your limits and boundaries. Know that you always have full control over you and what you can do to help protect your energy to keep it on the up and up if you can. Gaming should be fun after all! Also, yes, your pokemon will not attack a shiny as of a recent update iirc! Very much a needed thing!

There are other methods to shiny hunting too if you don't care for doing it that way! Breeding via Matsuda Method, random encounters or even looking for some in trades are a few ways to do it! I know that the knockout picnic method is quickest but with enough patience you'll get your shiny if determined enough! Just take your time with it and I know you'll get your shiny! 😁
Thank you for your kind words. There are so many trolls on the internet just waiting to jump on people that I don't really post much about things like this because I don't want to have them come at me.

My grown son played the first Red Dead Redemption (not online though) & he wouldn't kill the coyotes. We've had dogs as pets and he just didn't feel right killing the coyotes. He had friends that were more than happy to kill anything & everything.

We all react in different ways & that's part of what makes us unique. It's okay to have different reactions as long as we aren't hurting others in the process. Like I said, with all the internet trolls, there's always a chance that looking at things differently will result in harrassment & mean spiritedness.

I don't post a lot in general but I very rarely post about how certain things affect me. I've always looked at the world a little differently so I always feel a bit "off" as far as what's "normal". In this instance I wasn't sure what was the normal reaction. Since I had never shiny hunted before or really researched it I didn't know how others felt.

I've absolutely decided that the battling method of shiny hunting isn't for me. I want to be able to continue to enjoy playing Sc/Vi and future Pokemon games. I have been trying breeding and so far I'm enjoying it. If I ever stop enjoying the breeding I'll just go back to buying shinies instead. Video games are my escape from being an adult so I'll do whatever I can to keep them fun.

I've been trying the Masuda method and I like it so far. I've already hatched over 150 eggs & released the Mimikyu back into the wild. It makes me feel like I'm making up for the ones I KO'd when I tried battling. After I get my shiny Mimikyu I'll see if I feel like trying to breed other shiny Pokemon or if I just want to buy them instead. I think it will depend on how busy I am in rl.

Please don't make fun of me or laugh at me but until just recently I had never gone shiny hunting before. I had read about how hard it was and time intensive. I honestly didn't think I'd have the willpower to make a successful go of trying. I never wanted a ton of shiny Pokemon so the few I did want I usually bought from other players.

After Sc/Vi had been out for a while I started seeing posts about how shiny hunting in the new games was slightly easier thanks to the shiny hunting sandwich. After getting the Shiny Charm, I went to a website I trust that I've gotten great & accurate info from before. The site had a huge article about all the ways to shiny hunt in Sc/Vi. I looked over the different methods and picked one I thought I could handle. The method involved using the shiny sandwich and letting your Pokemon autobattle any of the Pokemon that spawned (of the Pokemon you're trying to find). The article said that your Pokemon would refuse to autobattle a shiny Pokemon. I thought that was great! If my Pokemon didn't battle a certain Pokemon then I would know it was shiny and I could swoop in to catch it.

I decided to go for a shiny Mimikyu as they're my favorite Pokemon. I grabbed a level 100 Pokemon so that it wouldn't gain any levels & make the game save. (I didn't have any other Pokemon out since I figured I wouldn't need any others.) I went to where the Mimikyu live, followed the steps & let my Pokemon go off autobattling. I knew it would probably still take a long time before I'd get a shiny so I was prepared to be at it for some time.

What I wasn't prepared for was how sad shiny hunting would make me. I ran around following my Pokemon as it autobattled Mimikyus. So many Mimikyu spawned! I'd never seen so many together at once. There were different sizes and they were all so cute! My Pokemon was just one shotting the little Mimikyu. Bam. Bam. Bam. By the time the shiny sandwich wore off my Pokemon had taken out well over a 100 Mimikyu. With each Mimikyu that went down I felt myself getting sadder and sadder. I couldn't figure out why I was sad at first. Then I realized that I wasn't sad because I hadn't found a shiny - I was sad because of all those Mimikyu that had been KO'd.

I stopped shiny hunting for the night. I wondered if maybe the website was wrong about my Pokemon refusing to autobattle shiny Pokemon. I reread the shiny hunting method to see if I had done something wrong. As far as I can tell I followed things correctly. If the website was correct about autobattling & I did everything properly then that meant that all those Mimikyu getting KO'd was what was supposed to happen when shiny hunting.

I still feel sad over all the Mimikyu my Pokemon fought. On one hand I feel silly that I feel so sad. The Mimikyu aren't real. My Pokemon I had fight them isn't real. It's all just pixels & programming, right? Right. Yet on the other hand... I still feel so sad. I can't help it. I thought I feel better after a day or two but I don't.

Has anyone else felt this way when they first started shiny hunting or am I just... odd? If you did feel this way, does it get easier? Also - just for my own knowledge - was the website right about Pokemon refusing to autobattle shiny Pokemon? I'm not sure I have it in me to try shiny hunting again.

I'm sorry this is so long. Thank you for reading.
You poor thing. I never felt that way but.. I kinda get it ya know? I wanted a legendary shiny for so long I almost broke my nintendo bc the tricks never worked.

I can get how you feel. I haven't shiny hunted via methods other than hatching for a while, but I still sometimes get sad when I see an enemy trainer using my favorite Pokemon. I have to convince myself that our Pokemon are just playing, and that when the enemy Pokemon faints they're just tuckered out and having a rest. Silly perhaps, but it helps me feel a little less like a bully.

Back