• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Just a thought on the rants and state of this forum (not a rant :) )

If people weren't so passionate about Animal Crossing, they wouldn't take the time or energy to express their disappointment (or excitement) on a message forum. It's an outlet, we are here because we love the series, and as fans, we are also critics. Other people's rants are their own, and shouldn't affect another's thoughts on the game, just like posts that are positive shouldn't affect those who might feel NH falls short in some areas.

There is a balance, it's okay to say that Nintendo might have left something out, or perhaps didn't have time to bake everything in and still love the game. It's okay to dislike certain directions that they decided to in and still love the series. None of these opinions affect anyone else's opinions or game play, and rants are just as important for passionate members as positive posts.

To say that some people are a bit disappointed with some aspects of NH simply because 'people do not liking change' is a bit dismissive, especially when the reasons for their concerns were clearly expressed. NL was nothing like WW, completely revamped, but it was loved by most immediately and we got more content in NL, things weren't removed.

It's also not about comparing New Horizons to New Leaf, the rants (most justified) are about the lack of iconic characters and staples from the series, regardless of which title they originated from. I think NL is used as the benchmark because it was not only the last big release, but it was also jam packed with a lot of content, some that is beloved by the AC community. A very normal and natural comparison.

At the end of the day, I think the question is, why do rants from others affect those who don't have any rants of their own? And as someone has mentioned, these are some difficult times that we are going through, uncertain, scary and stressful. Perhaps those of us who were looking to NH to help us escape and distract us from reality are subconsciously looking at (and dissecting) the game in a more magnified way. Also the anticipation for the arrival of this release was like no other.

The bottom line for me is, rants come from being passionate about something, and when you know that a new release is lacking certain things, or well known and beloved features/characters have been removed (for now, at least), it's perfectly fine to critique or have some hot takes, and still love the game.

I personally think that based on missing things (big and small), Nintendo was behind schedule and had to change things up and condense roles and tasks into limited shops and characters to meet the extended launch date. However, I remain hopeful that our beloved special characters (or at least some of them) and their functionality/shops will return with updates. I hope...

Back