• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Just a thought on the rants and state of this forum (not a rant :) )

I just did the most messed up thing.

I decided not to get the game and rejected my copy when it arrived.
I then sold my ACNH edition switch.

Then started to regret it.

Been looking for ANY switch for sale for a week, and nothing under $1000 as ALL STORES are out of stock.

I found a really decent seller on Ebay who sold me their unopened ACNH edition switch for about $180 more than what I paid for mine, but considering people are selling them for $1500+, I'm lucky.

So I've come full circle. (Should have it next week.)

So apart from how much I hate what they've taken out, I went through all of that, just to get it again. LOL

Praying they add bushes and furniture sets back!

bro..you sold your acnh switch..god.. why.. well im glad you got one back but ouch.

anyway

i personally enjoy this game. i played every game besides the 1st one. I expect the minor stuff to be rolled out in updates (which I don't mind, it keeps me coming back).

My only thing I hate is the long times it takes for someone to come to the island, the fact theres no storage locker at the airport so I have to go all the way back to my island to sell turnips again, etc. Just annoyed they cut some QOL features. But I expect old npcs to be added.

idk why people are stanning updates we know nothing about, but go off. i just don’t feel as if i can feel a certain way on a whim

even if it is early to be complaining, what’s wrong with a bit of a rant? it’s doing far more bad than good to tell people they can’t feel a certain way which i’ve seen nobody complaining about the game do to people who aren’t

“you don’t like the music go cry about it” are we not allowed to dislike music and talk about it lmao

it’s entitled the way you feel as if the people complaining shouldn’t feel the way that they do

essentially i was saying we need to wait and see. they said updates are happening, why dont we just give it time before downing them? you're saying we know nothing about it, right? so what makes it okay for you to be like "its not gonna have any of the stuff i'm complaining about, nintendo promised nothing" and not okay for others to be like "well yeah they promised nothing but it MIGHT have these features we should wait and see". if me saying this is "stanning" the updates then i guess i'm a stan lmao

literally my post said "give it time" idk how you got that i said people couldn't complain at all out of that lol you're free to complain all you want and im free to think its a little early to be passing judgement on a game thats only a week old. i get feeling disappointment at things missing but i just don't see the point in being so overly pessimistic about what's to come in the future when it hurts no one to be hopeful.

and when people are like "i need to write to nintendo about the music not being what I, personally, like" (which i did see on that thread), that's entitlement. but go off :)

Those of us who are feeling optimistic about this game aren't telling the people who are unhappy that they can't be unhappy? (at least I've never seen any actual attacks?). I reply sometimes to people who seem really miserable about this game, trying to cheer them up and give them hope for what's to come. I'm not meaning any harm by it, and I'm certainly not telling anyone "you have to worship the game!". I see someone unhappy and it's just my nature to try to cheer them up. Some of you seem like you WANT to be unhappy about this game though. I mean, when people can't disagree with others and share their own opinions without insulting others, that's a whole different problem then. I can't claim to have read and memorized every post on this forum, but for the people who are really passionate about this game, I haven't seen anything actually bullying the people who don't like this game? It's more them saying "hey! have hope! there's more to come! come on, cheer up! things will surely get better!"

I agree with your points! I feel like some of the disappointment has been coming from "X and Y is different from New Leaf" and while that's fair because obviously it was a great game and is special to many people, every Animal Crossing game has been different from the one before it (except City Folk lol) and to me that's just, like you said, the unique flavour of each game. Wild World was actually my favourite game in the series (can't make a proper judgement on NH yet) but if I wanted each game to be exactly like Wild World I would just keep playing Wild World.

I know there are staples from all prior games that are missing, but, well, I guess I'm one of those people that have "blind faith" in the updates :p I hope gyroids are one of the first things added in though!

I think complaining about the game is fine.. You do you. I personally am loving the game so much, and I've been playing AC since it's release on GC. I think the thing that is getting me, and probably some other people who are enjoying the game, is that we log on to Bell Tree to engage with our fellow Animal Crossing fans and it's just a little discouraging to see a lot of really intense hate. Not everyone is super intense about it, but those that are, are pretty difficult to ignore when trying to engage in the forums. It's mostly just distracting for me, but it can be just a little bit upsetting for some.

<3

essentially i was saying we need to wait and see. they said updates are happening, why dont we just give it time before downing them? you're saying we know nothing about it, right? so what makes it okay for you to be like "its not gonna have any of the stuff i'm complaining about, nintendo promised nothing" and not okay for others to be like "well yeah they promised nothing but it MIGHT have these features we should wait and see". if me saying this is "stanning" the updates then i guess i'm a stan lmao

literally my post said "give it time" idk how you got that i said people couldn't complain at all out of that lol you're free to complain all you want and im free to think its a little early to be passing judgement on a game thats only a week old. i get feeling disappointment at things missing but i just don't see the point in being so overly pessimistic about what's to come in the future when it hurts no one to be hopeful.

and when people are like "i need to write to nintendo about the music not being what I, personally, like" (which i did see on that thread), that's entitlement. but go off :)

we’re complaining about what we already have, not what we might have. we don’t know what the dlc will be, so for now while we don’t know anything i think it’s completely within reason to critique what we’ve been given at this moment in time

when you say that it’s too early to be upset, and antagonistically characterize people as ‘entitled’ for complaining then hmm yeah, you’re telling people that it’s not okay to be upset, and by extension attempting to dictate how people should be feeling

i’ve seen literally no one say that they’re going to write to nintendo to tell them to change the music, that’s ridiculous and i don’t condone such stupidity. i also don’t condone straw-manning and hyperbolic, sensationalized misconstrued interpretations of statements for the sake of proving points

passive aggressively typing :) at the end of a statement is cringe af and not as sassy as you think it is. but sure, we’re toxic

Last edited:
My first game was Wild World and I completely agree with your points. The game doesn't limit you to punish you, it limits you so that you can enjoy the world without an objection. I saw a post (maybe on Reddit? not sure) where someone compared the game to Breath of the Wild, in a sense that whatever you're doing isn't wrong. Whatever path you're taking, you're progressing in some way. The appearance and livelihood of the island isn't the only thing that matters, the game also welcomes you to form close bonds with characters and enrich the island life for you and your visitors. The game is expected to be played one day at a time, not to spread out content but to give you a new world with friends to visit. That's the origin of Animal Crossing.

After reading this thread I'd also like to add that there's nothing wrong with complaining about things such as music and lack of content at the moment. I was more talking about Animal Crossing in general, but New Horizons itself if very clearly missing a bunch of stuff that it seems ridiculous not to expect it in an update - but we don't know. Just because New Leaf was good doesn't mean New Horizons has to be. This could be it with only holiday updates missing. It's good to be critical, but you can also run something down and ruin an experience that you could otherwise enjoy in spite of many flaws.

Last edited:
As of rn, I'm really enjoying the game! Yeah sure, I'm sad that gyroid/art/and such haven't been confirmed, but like many I am one who believes in the updates! I find that the absence of some of these things doesn't destroy my experience, in fact, I play upwards of three hours because theres always something I am trying to achieve. Whether it's gathering nook miles, to catch a new insect or fish every day, to make x amount of bells for the day, or to landscape a new part of my town. It really bums me out though that there seems to be a new rant forum every day, and then for people to take things so personally. Animal Crossing is a game based on community, and to see some people bash the game (im not saying ALL ranters do this but there are some people who seem to be so pessimistic) is heartbreaking. Why can't people just wait? Why are people so impatient? I get that this took 7 years, I do, but with new versions of games comes with some cuts. We can't all have what we each individually want, so instead of dimming the mood why can't we just be grateful for what we are given and try and put a positive spin on things?

Those of us who are feeling optimistic about this game aren't telling the people who are unhappy that they can't be unhappy? (at least I've never seen any actual attacks?). I reply sometimes to people who seem really miserable about this game, trying to cheer them up and give them hope for what's to come. I'm not meaning any harm by it, and I'm certainly not telling anyone "you have to worship the game!". I see someone unhappy and it's just my nature to try to cheer them up. Some of you seem like you WANT to be unhappy about this game though. I mean, when people can't disagree with others and share their own opinions without insulting others, that's a whole different problem then. I can't claim to have read and memorized every post on this forum, but for the people who are really passionate about this game, I haven't seen anything actually bullying the people who don't like this game? It's more them saying "hey! have hope! there's more to come! come on, cheer up! things will surely get better!"

i’ve seen complainer’s opinions be referred to as entitled, repetitive, naive, stupid, pointless even on this thread and if you haven’t seen the same bullying going on then i’m not sure where you’re looking

Last edited:
i’ve seen complainer’s opinions be referred to as entitled, repetitive, naive, stupid, pointless even on this thread and if you haven’t seen the same bullying going on then i’m not sure where you’re looking

To be honest... and I truly mean no harm, but you asked me where I've been looking. I just reread all of the replies in this thread and I've only seen you tell the thread creator that they have no sense of self awareness, and someone who suggested to turn the music down and play a different soundtrack if they don't like the music in the game, entitled. It's entirely possible I missed a post or so, I do have poor eyesight afterall... but I honestly didn't see anyone else calling anyone "entitled, repetitive, naive, stupid, or pointless here as you said. =(

Just a reminder to everyone to keep your counter arguments respectful and friendly. There's no need to belittle or insult people (directly or indirectly) in your replies. If you feel yourself getting irritated it's good to take a little break from the computer. You can always respond later once you're in a better state of mind.

Please see our Rules and Guidelines section 1.a. Respecting Others and make sure your posts comply with the guidelines. You can also click the spoiler below to see the specific guidelines I am referring to. Thank you. :blush:

Rules and Guidelines - 1.a. Respecting Others said:
  • Respect other Bell Tree members in your posts, private messages, visitor messages, Wi-Fi ratings, and other conversations.
  • If you disagree with someone, please do so in a dignified manner and refrain from using personal attacks.
  • Keep your criticism constructive and avoid posting anything that belittles another user.
  • Do not intentionally provoke or instigate a negative reaction out of another user. This is also known as trolling.
  • If another user is disrespectful or makes a personal attack, do not attack them back. This will create a lengthy series of attacks known as a flame war.
  • Do not interfere with someone else’s trading thread, including policing prices, advertising a competing deal, or criticizing someone else’s proposed offer. Only post in the thread if you are interested in buying or selling from the user who created the thread.

Thank you for saying all of this.
I honestly couldn't agree more. NH was receiving so much skepticism and hate before it even released. And then even on day one people seemed to be complaining about how little there was to do. I agree though - NL did give you lots of control, and quickly. I'm one of those players whose taking it at my own pace, and is actually behind pretty much everyone at this point. :rolleyes: But I'm having fun, and doing whatever I like and just enjoying the music, the stunning graphics, and everything that I do currently have unlocked.

I believe people should play however they want to play the game; the beauty in it is that it's always been versatile in that way. But it does get tiring seeing people giving it so much hate instead of appreciation.

Last edited:

I personally have no problem at all with people being hopeful about things being added in updates, it's just the people who come at me with "Oh I KNOW every tiny little thing is going to be added in the updates. It's OBVIOUS." who drive me nuts. We don't know what's in store for the updates, and until Nintendo specifies what's going to be added, we shouldn't be saying that we KNOW. And let me tell you, there are a TON of people on this site who go on about how they "know" and how its "obvious." It's those people who drive me nuts, not the ones who realize that it is only a "maybe."

Some of you seem like you WANT to be unhappy about this game though.

I can't speak for everyone (maybe there are some people who WANT to feel that way), but expressing disappointment about something is perfectly normal and rational. I can't help if I'm disappointed about something. I just am, and as such, I feel the need to let out/talk about my feelings. I don't see how it's any different from the people who are over-optimistic/happy with the game talking about their feelings. I hate how talking about perfectly normal feelings pertaining to the game, just because it goes against the consensus, is discouraged.

I haven't seen anything actually bullying the people who don't like this game? It's more them saying "hey! have hope! there's more to come! come on, cheer up! things will surely get better!"

Maybe you haven't been looking far enough. It's not that hard to find those posts. Sure there are plenty of post, like you said, trying to cheer people up (and there is nothing wrong with that! :)), but it is also not hard to find the posts we are referring to.

Please note: I have nothing against you personally :) I just wanted to open a discussion about some misunderstanding that seems to be going on between the two sides on this forum!

Last edited:
I just wanted to open a discussion about some misunderstanding that seems to be going on between the two sides on this forum!

Absolutely! All these different "sides" are starting to stress me out >.< Time traveling vs. not time traveling, people who love the game vs. people who were less than impressed. I wish everyone could get along and people can time travel or not time travel and everyone is okay with it. And people can love the game or not and everyone acknowledges that both sides have fair points.

I'll be the first to admit it's highly possible I've missed some of the more intense fighting around here and wherever it is taking place, they better hope they stay hidden, because if I find it, I'd make everyone hug, and then go back to watering flowers and fishing.:p

Absolutely! All these different "sides" are starting to stress me out >.< Time traveling vs. not time traveling, people who love the game vs. people who were less than impressed. I wish everyone could get along and people can time travel or not time travel and everyone is okay with it. And people can love the game or not and everyone acknowledges that both sides have fair points.

I'll be the first to admit it's highly possible I've missed some of the more intense fighting around here and wherever it is taking place, they better hope they stay hidden, because if I find it, I'd make everyone hug, and then go back to watering flowers and fishing.:p

Yeah, I feel like we've made Animal Crossing too complicated. Maybe we all need a little break from the forums. :)

I can see where everyone's coming from really. There are advantages and disadvantages to each approach, and I don't think it's worth fighting over. Obviously the members of an Animal Crossing message board all care very much about Animal Crossing, so conversations can get heated due to the strength of feelings we share for this game, even if our opinions differ. I applaud OP for explaining themselves civilly because, especially in recent years, online conversation tends to skew hyperbolic and it can be rare to see someone speak about disagreements (or potential disagreements) with a level head.

The quote that stuck out to me in particular was this though: "I don't agree with the statement that a game should play the way a player wants it to play. I believe video games, as many other mediums and creations of its own, develop a sense of direction addressed by their creators." I might digress a little here but I agree with this, by and large; it's a definite problem in the industry where creators try to please everyone and spread themselves and their game far too thin, resulting in an experience that may be a jack of all trades but is a master of none (and usually has many more faults than if the focus had been more narrow).

However... I think Animal Crossing games have always had a very strong identity, while *also* allowing each player to enjoy the game however they wish, at whatever pace they want. As evidenced by this forum itself ;) It's rare, but AC does this really well, I think.

There will always be complaints, and I can see how one would feel like they're unfair or overshadowing positive experiences, but the important thing to remember here is to "take what you can use, leave what you don't" (the exact saying escapes me at the moment). If you agree with someone's criticisms, cool. If not, also cool, shrug it off and go about your day. No need to take it personally, and no need to *make* it personal when someone airing grievances is most likely not intending them as an attack on anyone else.

If a thread is getting too negative for your tastes (general you), close it, and go do something you enjoy. That's the simplest and easiest solution but one that we readily forget, online. Do what makes you happy, and if others are making you unhappy, limit your exposure to them where possible. There will always be bad apples in the bunch and it's best to just learn to ignore them and concentrate on something else.

I can see where everyone's coming from really. There are advantages and disadvantages to each approach, and I don't think it's worth fighting over. Obviously the members of an Animal Crossing message board all care very much about Animal Crossing, so conversations can get heated due to the strength of feelings we share for this game, even if our opinions differ. I applaud OP for explaining themselves civilly because, especially in recent years, online conversation tends to skew hyperbolic and it can be rare to see someone speak about disagreements (or potential disagreements) with a level head.

The quote that stuck out to me in particular was this though: "I don't agree with the statement that a game should play the way a player wants it to play. I believe video games, as many other mediums and creations of its own, develop a sense of direction addressed by their creators." I might digress a little here but I agree with this, by and large; it's a definite problem in the industry where creators try to please everyone and spread themselves and their game far too thin, resulting in an experience that may be a jack of all trades but is a master of none (and usually has many more faults than if the focus had been more narrow).

However... I think Animal Crossing games have always had a very strong identity, while *also* allowing each player to enjoy the game however they wish, at whatever pace they want. As evidenced by this forum itself ;) It's rare, but AC does this really well, I think.

There will always be complaints, and I can see how one would feel like they're unfair or overshadowing positive experiences, but the important thing to remember here is to "take what you can use, leave what you don't" (the exact saying escapes me at the moment). If you agree with someone's criticisms, cool. If not, also cool, shrug it off and go about your day. No need to take it personally, and no need to *make* it personal when someone airing grievances is most likely not intending them as an attack on anyone else.

If a thread is getting too negative for your tastes (general you), close it, and go do something you enjoy. That's the simplest and easiest solution but one that we readily forget, online. Do what makes you happy, and if others are making you unhappy, limit your exposure to them where possible. There will always be bad apples in the bunch and it's best to just learn to ignore them and concentrate on something else.

100% agree with this post! Thank you for speaking some logic into this thread! :)

To be honest... and I truly mean no harm, but you asked me where I've been looking. I just reread all of the replies in this thread and I've only seen you tell the thread creator that they have no sense of self awareness, and someone who suggested to turn the music down and play a different soundtrack if they don't like the music in the game, entitled. It's entirely possible I missed a post or so, I do have poor eyesight afterall... but I honestly didn't see anyone else calling anyone "entitled, repetitive, naive, stupid, or pointless here as you said. =(
i’m somewhat confused by your statement as the person i’d responded to is the one who made the initial accusation of entitlement, specifically in regards to the music

i’d responded to op in that manner as we were told to be ‘humble’, a reductive statement which trivializes the complaints. i believe i responded appropriately to such a statement

thank god a nuanced take. thread is over everybody go home

Back