Job layoffs

So sorry to hear that. My dad lost his job when I was in high school in the same year that both my sister and grandma fell ill and he was supporting both of them. Unemployment benefits can definitely get you through until he finds a new job.

Also don't worry about this interfering with your dream to be a lawyer! I worked part-time during the school year and full-time over the summers throughout university to pay for tuition, and I'm now in my second year of med school and still debt free! Make sure you apply for all of the bursaries and scholarships you're eligible for. I know paying for school in the US is much harder than in other places, but in Canada you also get grants in addition to loans if you're from a low-income family so maybe there's something like this in the US too. Research all your options!

Can you apply for free education or financial support? I get ?30/week for staying in education in Scotland, the opposite of your situation.

Mississippi isn't really a state that's overflowing with software engineering jobs. Your dad could still do it there, but most likely he'd have to find a job that would allow him to work from home.

Most likely, it would be easier for him to find a job outside of the state though. And, honestly, he'd probably get paid more if you guys did move. But if you did move, you'd also run into the problem of higher cost of living. The south is a cheap place to live housing-wise. Housing gets a lot more expensive in Washington State, California, the Maryland/Virginia/DC area, etc. Those are all states that have a very high number of tech jobs, but it costs more to live in. However, if your dad knows his stuff, tech jobs in those areas can also easily pay in the 6 figures (over $100k).

He needs to put together a resume and start looking for jobs on places like Monster.com if he hasn't already.

My dad mentioned this. My dad worked for a company that was actually based in Pennsylvania but had a branch here in Mississippi, and was making $80k. My dad admitted that if he tries to keep a job in the Jackson area or in the state in general, he'd have to take at least a $20k pay cut. On the other hand, if we did move, he would make more, but again, housing would be more expensive. Also, almost all of my family lives in the South (it stretches from Texas to Georgia) and the majority of it lives in Mississippi. My dad admitted that he personally would avoid having to move any further away than Texas or Georgia, in a city such as Atlanta, Dallas, or Houston. However, even if we did have to move as far away as Seattle, I did realize that there are probably more technology-related jobs in a city like Seattle than Atlanta.
Anyways, Mega_Cabbage suggested that he look at Indeed.com, and my dad actually did use the site to see if the local Nissan factory had jobs available. In 2003, Nissan opened a plant in Canton which is near Jackson, and a friend I've known since 2010's dad works there and is actually paid pretty well. In fact, the company that my dad used to work for shut down in 2012 and many people that were coworkers of his at his old company moved over there. Again, though, I don't know how much Nissan would pay him.

Another possibility for your dad is that both San Antonio and Austin are starting to become decent areas for tech in the south. That would require moving, but at least you'd get to stay in the south!

Another possibility for your dad is that both San Antonio and Austin are starting to become decent areas for tech in the south. That would require moving, but at least you'd get to stay in the south!

Yeah, he was telling me about that. He also said that New England is another area that has a large amount of jobs in the tech industry, such as Massachusetts.

Yeah, he was telling me about that. He also said that New England is another area that has a large amount of jobs in the tech industry, such as Massachusetts.

Oh, yeah, the Boston area. Problem with Boston and Massachusetts in general is it's very expensive. It's more expensive than all of the tech states I mentioned above except California. I considered taking a job there at one point but didn't because the job I was interested in didn't pay enough to offset the expense of living there.

Oh, yeah, the Boston area. Problem with Boston and Massachusetts in general is it's very expensive. It's more expensive than all of the tech states I mentioned above except California. I considered taking a job there at one point but didn't because the job I was interested in didn't pay enough to offset the expense of living there.

Wait, living in Boston is more expensive in Seattle? Wow, I didn't know that. Two of my best friends (they're twins) lived in Seattle until they moved down here to Jackson in 2007 and their house was incredibly expensive, and they were actually able to live in the most expensive neighborhood here in the suburbs of Jackson using every penny saved up from their old house in the Seattle area.

Oh goodness.. Try and hang in there dear! A teller position is definitely an option and is a good temporary job. I took a teller position when I was looking for a job after college. However it ended up being permanent instead of temporary and now I am a mortgage officer with the same institution.

I'm sure your dad will find something, and in the meantime he will qualify for unemployment! Hang in there!

Im really sorry to hear that nintendofan :( About 5 years ago my mum lost her job and she was the main bread winner of our house. I don't think i've ever cried so much as I was in private education and knew I would have to move school as we could no longer afford it. So yh I had to move school and I was honestly terrified in the beginning but it will all be alright, trust me! I ended up getting really good grades despite the disruption and am on my way to uni this year to do vet med (I live in the UK so education system is a bit different). Please please please don't get disheartened and just keep you head down and work. You should never let anyone tell you your dreams are never going to happen. I'm sure your Dad will find a job and admittedly I don't know how student loans in the US work but i'm sure you'll find a way to afford it (i'll be having to pay off 5 years worth of uni costs here so I know how daunting that seems) :)!
Hope everything works out for you and you get where you want to in life,
Cozimnormal xx

Im really sorry to hear that nintendofan :( About 5 years ago my mum lost her job and she was the main bread winner of our house. I don't think i've ever cried so much as I was in private education and knew I would have to move school as we could no longer afford it. So yh I had to move school and I was honestly terrified in the beginning but it will all be alright, trust me! I ended up getting really good grades despite the disruption and am on my way to uni this year to do vet med (I live in the UK so education system is a bit different). Please please please don't get disheartened and just keep you head down and work. You should never let anyone tell you your dreams are never going to happen. I'm sure your Dad will find a job and admittedly I don't know how student loans in the US work but i'm sure you'll find a way to afford it (i'll be having to pay off 5 years worth of uni costs here so I know how daunting that seems) :)!
Hope everything works out for you and you get where you want to in life,
Cozimnormal xx

Thank you! Yeah, student loans here in the United States can be horrendous. My aunt married my uncle in 1993 and had taken out a hefty student loan not long before that because her mom couldn't even afford the towels that were in her dorm, and as recent as three years ago (2014) she was still paying off the loans.

Back