• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

"Island" or "Town"?

What do you say more often?

• Total voters
I call it an island. Obviously because its an island but also because back in NL I used to say "village" not "town" and everyone else called the animals "villagers" so it made sense to me to call it a village. A town would have a lot more buildings and now in NH that is even more evident because if the lack said buildings (still waiting for Brewsters café...)

I played Wild World and City Folk, but I always call it an island. I have “Isle“ in the name, so it makes sense to call it an island. I wanted to name my island “Goose Island” but it was too many letters.

I have gotten used to calling it an island now but i used to use town. On the other hand, i have recently gotten into the habbit of calling my nl town a village. Maybe because i use the word villagers a lot in both games? idk.

I always refer to my island as an island. If I were talking about my town from a previous game, then I'd say town though~

I still call it my town and villagers, but that is more or of habit! I really like the island setting.

I try to say "island," but yes I'm so used to calling it a town from CF, WW and NL. Typically I now resort to just calling the downtown area within my island the "town," while the island also includes neighborhoods, a countryside and a forest. The animal residents are still "villagers" to me, though, because that's the common term for them in the AC community.

It was a pet peeve of mine when we were waiting for the new AC to come out and people referred to the human characters as "mayors," but I suppose if NL was your first AC I can't fault you for that. Also "resident rep" is a mouthful

I’ve gotten used to saying “island” now but there are random times I call it a “village” o_o but 100% still call all my residents “villagers” nonetheless

I always find myself slipping and saying town instead of island. I feel like town is more unified. & I always call my little animals my villagers. <3

I say "town" more often...probably just because it's one syllable, and it is subconsciously quicker to say a one-syllable word. I don't think it matters, though. Both are applicable. It's a town that is located on an island. Technically, I think "town" might actually be more accurate...since "island" would make the subject the land itself...not the buildings or inhabitants. But, yeah...I say both.

I always say island, since, well, it's an island, lol. Playing the previous games hasn't affected me in this regard.

Since I'm playing NL simultaneously with NH, it's easier to differentiate them by saying 'town' and 'island' when referring to them lol. But even then my island's name is 'Wynd Isle', which makes it hard to think of it as anything but an island.

I find myself calling it an island a lot. But when I'm referring to my New Leaf town then I still sometimes call it an Island since I had New Horizons before New Leaf. Quite the hassle lol. Makes me wonder if they'll release another game and it'll be a city :rolleyes:

Hmmm...does someone want to tell him? 😅
lol. if they made another ac game in a few years and it were a city, you know i'd buy it but like i'd be walking around sayin' "yeah come visit my iSLaND"
Would be kinda cool tho. I don't think the AC series is ready to die just yet haha

Back