• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Is anyone else low key salty about the new ac?

At work, a guy made fun of me because I like Nintendo games. I will never understand people who loves making fun of others just because they like different things.

Yet, they have tiles like Bayonetta and the like....how is Nintendo family friendly now? This guy must clearly not keep up with what they put out.

Nah I don't care

At least you didn't get bullied for liking "kids games" since so many people bring Nintendo games to your school lmao

Not that bullying isn?t already petty, but they?re seriously going to make fun of you for playing Nintendo games? Those tards are obviously very ignorant about types of game systems, because Leap Frog is the company that makes game systems specifically for kids. VTech too sort of, though it?s mainly for very young kids and babies.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I’ve also played many gory games on Nintendo, like Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (I’m actually looking at it now and because I am a year under the age of 17, it says I’m “not eligible to view this content”) and there was another game too (can’t remember the name) where you fight and kill people in the olden times. There’s a few games in the eShop that I can’t play because I’m 16 and not 17 yet.

- - - Post Merge - - -

But sometimes I just sit and play dead kid games like Petz Beach or Fossil Fighters

Well, change is sometimes good. Maybe you'll find that you actually prefer New Horizons over New Leaf.

By the time you get a Switch, I'm sure ACNH will still be plenty popular. NL has kept many people busy for a long time. I'm sure the new game will do exactly the same & more.

Like others have said, the animal crossing franchise is loved by many people who are devoted fans of the series and play for several years. New leaf still has lots of players today and the game was released in 2012. Then when New Leaf got their major expansion update with new features and content, they had a massive boost in sales. If Nintendo releases regular content, which I am sure they will, players will once again play for just as long. Also, you should take note of the fact that time manipulation will not be possible in the new games. This means people will have to play a lot more to get access to all the content in the game since they wont be able to speed up the process anymore. So I think you will be fine if you have to wait off buying a switch for a few more years.

Eh, all one has to do is change the clock from within the Switch settings. People can and will still get to time travel, even if it's not from within the game itself.

I actually do relate to this! I got my 3DS maybe just a year or two ago? So I feel sad that everyone's moving on already when I still enjoy the 3DS :c My nephews who I see at our Christmas family reunion wouldn't even notice me because they all had switches now and I just had my old 2DS.. I just don't feel like going all out and buying a new console yet, when it feels like I just recently got this one, and they're kind of expensive by Philippine standards. I'm just hoping there will still be people playing new leaf when new horizons comes out

Like others have said, ACNL came out in 2012. I didn?t get my first 3DS and copy of the game until Christmas 2015. Yeah the island was a bit quieter I guess, but after joining this forum I was never short of people to play and trade with. I also used to take my 3DS most places with me and you?d be surprised how many streetpass Mii I got.

I think the switch will be popular for some time to be honest. Especially as NL is still popular 7 years after it was first released.

Eh, all one has to do is change the clock from within the Switch settings. People can and will still get to time travel, even if it's not from within the game itself.

If it were that easy I doubt they would have got rid of a huge feature like Cloud Saving, which has upset quite a few people. My guess is that the time in-game will no longer be connected to the internal clock on the switch or the developers have figured out some other way to prevent time manipulation.

If it were that easy I doubt they would have got rid of a huge feature like Cloud Saving, which has upset quite a few people. My guess is that the time in-game will no longer be connected to the internal clock on the switch or the developers have figured out some other way to prevent time manipulation.

I don't think no cloud saving has anything to do with time travelling, but with item duplication.

I don't think no cloud saving has anything to do with time travelling, but with item duplication.

This and probably also hackers, since Nintendo may think that hackers would making profit out of the
Cloud Save (basically hacking as much items as they want and save it). It's still a dumb decision to not
support the game with Cloud Saving, since not everyone out there is a hacker and lots of people would
still playing this game in a "fair", non-hacked way.

Nah, but I'm too old to worry if I have compatible games for school grounds. I do remember missing out on the Gameboy Advance though, I still had my old Gameboy Color and missed out on so many things until the DS was released. But like, three years are going to be nothing once you're an adult. So many people will envy you because you get to buy the Switch 2.0 with better battery or like the Switch XL that's bound to happen. Even now the people who had to miss out on release have the option to get a colorful Switch Lite.

Being late on consoles is never a disadvantage. I didn't get the original Nintendo DS, that's how I got a fancy DS Lite while my friends still all had the old model until their birthdays or Christmas. In the end it didn't matter because we all kept having a DS into adulthood and played whatever we felt like playing. I'm honestly surprised that people your age bring consoles with them to school anyway, my class did that once when we were 10/11 and it was so dorky. It's cool that times have changed like this. And at least you can try out the game before it comes out thanks to your friends, and you can learn what's important before you make mistakes, like knowing what's the best type of map and other little tips. :)

Last edited:
I missed out on a lot of things in my childhood, but eventually got some of them later. I got the DS lite pretty late in the lifespan of the DS, in 2010. I never knew about most of the best games on there, so I never got ACWW. I remember my parents ridiculing the 3D feature in the 3DS when you did came out. This may surprise many, but I never had a Wii. I still don't know why we never had one, but some of my relatives did so we would play when we visited them. I got a 2DS with my own money in June 2017 and managed to get Captain Toad the day it launched. I got ACNL three months ago and sometimes I wonder how it would be if I got it earlier. As for ACNH, I don't see me getting it, at least on the near future. I don't have a switch, my parents don't like to buy expensive things for me, but maybe one day if I can get one before the new Nintendo console comes out.

Yes, it will prevent item duplication.

The problem is that in an interview with the developers, they said time manipulation, NOT item duplication. People are saying this was probably mistranslation, only its hard to mistranslate such completely different words. Also, if it were a mistake on the writers part they would have corrected it by now. It also doesn't explain why so many different sources have said time manipulation and none have said item duplication.

IMO, I think Nintendo is using a different method for the in-game clock system, but I could be wrong and it could very well be item duplication they are taking about.

What's the worst that could happen? No other game companies, at least that I know of, seem to have a problem with keeping online multiplayer on older systems. And what happened to acnl just goes to show that things might not be so bad. I mean, some people are just swimming in doe because they know when and where to find hackers. Even Rockstar isn't losing money from not shutting down their online servers, and the map that has McFarline's Ranch is crawling with zombie cpus that will crash the server and corrupt your save file if you shoot them.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Btw, I learned that the hard way when I was 12 years old and seeing that I was leveling up at an ungodly speed, I kept shooting them and the screen was getting more and more distorted by the minute. I didn't have a working headset at the time, so i had no idea why other players were trying to kill me, but yea, the screen went black and the next time I went to play my game my horse would freeze when I rode it and the screen would zoom out and when I pulled up my menu, it was blank.

I wouldn't keep comparing Nintendo's online to what other companies are doing.

The Wii and DS for a start were pretty much beyond Nintendo's control. Nintendo didn't host their own online service for those systems, GameSpy did, and GameSpy shut down. Nintendo maybe could have done something to keep the online going but with the Wii U and 3DS out it really would have been a waste of resources to do.

The PS3/PS4 and Xbox 360/Xbone run on pretty much the same service, hence why you can easily transfer a lot of the data between the two (profiles, trophy/avatar information, Xbox 360 saves IIRC etc). The PS3/360 service won't shut down 'just like that', but whether a games servers stay up depends on the individual developer/publisher. They're just not going to keep servers running for a game when near nobody is playing it, that's just the way things are.

Nintendo are just crap at online features, but the Wii U and 3DS won't shut down any time soon like the Wii/DS because Nintendo are at least dealing with it themselves, they're not forced to do so like when Game Spy shut down.

As for people moving on by the time you get a Switch, I doubt it since we're in 2019 and there's still an active playerbase for New Leaf, a 7 year old game. Ultimately though, hardware becomes outdated, new games get released and people move on. We can't just not move on because somebody somewhere can't afford the newest thing.

Nah, but I'm too old to worry if I have compatible games for school grounds. I do remember missing out on the Gameboy Advance though, I still had my old Gameboy Color and missed out on so many things until the DS was released. But like, three years are going to be nothing once you're an adult. So many people will envy you because you get to buy the Switch 2.0 with better battery or like the Switch XL that's bound to happen. Even now the people who had to miss out on release have the option to get a colorful Switch Lite.

Being late on consoles is never a disadvantage. I didn't get the original Nintendo DS, that's how I got a fancy DS Lite while my friends still all had the old model until their birthdays or Christmas. In the end it didn't matter because we all kept having a DS into adulthood and played whatever we felt like playing. I'm honestly surprised that people your age bring consoles with them to school anyway, my class did that once when we were 10/11 and it was so dorky. It's cool that times have changed like this. And at least you can try out the game before it comes out thanks to your friends, and you can learn what's important before you make mistakes, like knowing what's the best type of map and other little tips. :)

:0

- - - Post Merge - - -

I missed out on a lot of things in my childhood, but eventually got some of them later. I got the DS lite pretty late in the lifespan of the DS, in 2010. I never knew about most of the best games on there, so I never got ACWW. I remember my parents ridiculing the 3D feature in the 3DS when you did came out. This may surprise many, but I never had a Wii. I still don't know why we never had one, but some of my relatives did so we would play when we visited them. I got a 2DS with my own money in June 2017 and managed to get Captain Toad the day it launched. I got ACNL three months ago and sometimes I wonder how it would be if I got it earlier. As for ACNH, I don't see me getting it, at least on the near future. I don't have a switch, my parents don't like to buy expensive things for me, but maybe one day if I can get one before the new Nintendo console comes out.

Actually it's rumored that Nintendo is going to make a better version of the switch in a year or two

- - - Post Merge - - -

I wouldn't keep comparing Nintendo's online to what other companies are doing.

The Wii and DS for a start were pretty much beyond Nintendo's control. Nintendo didn't host their own online service for those systems, GameSpy did, and GameSpy shut down.

Honestly though, the thought of Nintendo doing it themselves doesn't surprise me at all since they love to get rid of things people love.

Last edited:
I'm not that worried about it honestly. Animal crossing is the kind of game that someone can, and will play for years without it getting old. I mean look at how many people still play it on the site, and that's just the people that mostly want to play with other people at least some of the time. I had a 3DS before animal crossing came out, and I got New Leaf the day it released - and I only recently stopped playing it. Animal crossing has the kind of staying power that a lot of more popular games don't. Everyone loves pokemon, but a new one comes out every year. You don't have to hold onto those for as long as you would an animal crossing game

Yes! I can totally relate! I can?t afford a switch, not even a switch light so it is highly likely that I will never get to play the new animal crossing new horizons game which is just super sad :( :( I am excited to see where the franchise is heading so I am not all salty about it (and maybe in a year or two I could get a switch light- especially if they start coming down in price) but secretly am a little. So don?t worry I know exactly how you feel. Team salty

Everyone loves pokemon, but a new one comes out every year. You don't have to hold onto those for as long as you would an animal crossing game
That reminds me of a friend I have at school who always abandons a Pokemon game just because the new one comes out. I really hate when people can't just love an old Pokemon game.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I actually want to get let's go pikachu and eevee

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yes! I can totally relate! I can’t afford a switch, not even a switch light so it is highly likely that I will never get to play the new animal crossing new horizons game which is just super sad :( :( I am excited to see where the franchise is heading so I am not all salty about it (and maybe in a year or two I could get a switch light- especially if they start coming down in price) but secretly am a little. So don’t worry I know exactly how you feel. Team salty

Before you make any large decisions I just want you to know that the Switch Lite is a worse version of the more affordable Wii U. All it is is a newer Wii U game pad with a different title and newer games, except it doesn't connect to your TV. This system is like what would come out right after the pxp handheld game system, and even looks exactly the same as some of them. I'd actually rather have a Wii U than the Lite. Sorry for the hate, but I wish they came up with something better than that system.

Last edited:
Before you make any large decisions I just want you to know that the Switch Lite is a worse version of the more affordable Wii U. All it is is a newer Wii U game pad with a different title and newer games, except it doesn't connect to your TV. This system is like what would come out right after the pxp handheld game system, and even looks exactly the same as some of them. I'd actually rather have a Wii U than the Lite. Sorry for the hate, but I wish they came up with something better than that system.

No hate, the Switch in general is just an upgraded Wii U. But that's not a bad thing. It takes the same concept(playing the same games on handheld and console and dual screens, one of which is portable), tweaks it a little bit, and then puts it back on the store shelf. Nintendo learned from the marketing failure of the Wii U, then used it as a building block for the Switch. The result is that we pretty much have the exact same thing in a different form, but everyone calls it a success. I've never owned a wii u and probably never will, but I love my Switch. So it is what it is.

I am very excited for NH as I have been waiting for a new AC game for years, bought a Switch at launch, and have been playing NL since 2014 so I?m ready for a new experience.

I do feel bad for the people that can?t afford a Switch however. I might continue to play NL alongside NH since despite all its flaws NL has been an important part of over 5 years of my life, and it?s hard to let go of something that special.

Back