• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

IGN's top 100 video games of alltime

I've played Borderlands 2 (defo deserves last it was.. bad lol), LoL, Sim City 2000, Dota 2, MK8D, Yoshi's Island(deserved way higher wtf), whatever XCOM game that was out in.. 2012 if it's that one, L4D 2, CS:GO, Earthbound, StarCraft, Pokémon Yellow(also should be higher wtf), Skyrim, Civ IV, tetris(duh), Chrono Trigger(the DS remake but still goood), Portal, OG smush bruhs, parts of Undertale which should be lower lmao, SMB3, Half-Life 2, SM64 which sucks lmao, Super Metroi, ALTTP, Portal 2, SMW.

I haven't played Botw and I don't plan to really but I've a hard time taking this list seriously also lmao.

I've played 18 of the games on this list and, while Twilight Princess is my personal favourite Zelda game, I have no problem with BotW landing the #1 spot. I enjoyed that game immensely. I put hundreds of hours into it and completed it 100% and, despite the length of the game, I never felt like I was getting sick of it or that I wanted to hurry up and finish it after a while.

I was happy to see that Pokemon Yellow made the list as I have so much love for the Gen 1 Pokemon games, but I would have liked to see it at least make the top 10. XD

A lot of spots are open for discussion imo, lol. But #1 for botw I can totally live with, I absolutely loved that game and it's the only game I restarted 4 times over and still found new things to do, explore and was never boring.

I have played many of these games and quite a few of my all-time favourites are in there somewhere. But:

Breath of the wild is enjoyable, I played it a lot. It was far from perfect though and they go on to explain how it was just so different from previous games in the franchise, which simply raises more questions because "putting a spin on earlier games" is not a revolutionary concept at all.

I think what makes a video game 'good' is very much down to personal preference. Their idea of actually trying to rank a list like this for us, all on their own, was flawed from the start. Unless it was simply meant to get people to disagree and then engage with their content (I find this likely), in which case, well played. :LOL:

I do like how they present it as "The List Of Greatest Games" and then in the article, immediately backpedal by saying it's actually only a list of games their current staff really likes. Video game reporting is such a joke.

I wish ACNL was on there. I know I am the only one complaining atleast NH got there okay! Most of the list is fine but I do not like any fighting or shooting games other than splatoon. I never play those types of games. I think the most violent game I ever played was Dragon Quest Heroes (which I highly recommend btw but the first one I hated the second one.) which wasnt even that scary. Atleast everyone else can be happy and love the list!!! I think its great overall for the "gamers" but not for me owo

I've only actually played three of these, though there were a few titles/series in the list that I might be interested in trying in the future. Overall, though, not a lot of their top 100 games really appeal to me personally—which certainly doesn't make them bad games (and I definitely recognize a few as being amongst the greats, even if they're not really my thing), but I do feel like it goes to show that video games are a tad too subjective for ranking lists like this to really work.

I’ve only played 4 of the games on the list: ACNH, Inside, the Sims 3, and The Witness. I haven’t even heard of a lot of the games they listed

How did Paper Mario 64 not make this list? I don’t think there can ever be one true list, though. Everyone has different opinions and your favorite game doesn’t have to be justified by anyone else. I haven’t even heard of most of the games on this list, nor do I care to look into any of them. This is one person’s opinion. My favorite game doesn’t have to be anyone else’s favorite game.

The list is fairly biased towards modern games/looking at it through our current lens rather than how the game would be received/its impact when it came out (e.g. putting Undertale about 20 spots ahead of Earthbound was an interesting choice) but I will say I'm very happy to see Super Mario World at #2. It was my favorite video game as a kid and I still have a soft spot for it.

Not that their way of making the list was wrong like Croconaw said there are different approaches you can take with it.

Reactions: Neb
it's ign. the stereotype is their ratings never make sense. and neither does the majority of their list. for example hades is on the list. i literally know no one who plays that. disco elysium number 10? yeah ok... out of all the games to ever exist. another game that i know no one who plays it.

ign must have a lot of workers who are in their early 20s who never played a game older than them. i'm honestly surprised games like shenmue, time crisis, phantasy star series, jet moto and others weren't on the list. the list sounds more like a favorite 100 games of staff and not actual best games of all time like they title it. and no DDR? how many millions of people played and/or lost weight playing DDR? the game was a craze for years in homes and arcades.

editing my post. i own over 700 games and i've heard of many of these games. the list makes no sense.

I can't say I agree or disagree with any of the list simply because I don't know what 'ruling' they're using here. It just reads as a list of games picked at random in no particular order, like they put a bunch of games they liked in a hat and picked them out to see where (and if) they were going on the list...Which is fine. It's fine if it's just personal opinion but they should say it is rather than trying to pass it off as solely objective decisions. They give a short paragraph saying how they come to the ranking of all the games but the list really doesn't read as though it has any sort of ruling to how they came up with it.

IGN said:
While past versions of this list have put a big emphasis on a game’s impact and influence, we’ve essentially taken that out of the equation.

Who really looks at Donkey Kong arcade and thinks it's one of the best games of all time with its impact and influence taken away? I would at least understand the GameBoy version as it was Donkey Kong + mostly an entirely new game, but the original? Really? I'm willing to bet none of their writing staff have even played the game since June 14th 2018 when it was release on the Switch eShop.

Or Diablo 2, Starcraft and World of Warcraft. I absolutely adore these games and don't even disagree they should be in a top 100 list but all three of them in a row? Could be coincidental but it comes across that they only just remembered those three games exist half way through writing so put them all in one after another. In a list of 100 games, it's "weird" that three of Blizzard's games are next to each other.

Super Mario 64 as the only 3D Mario game to be mentioned. My favorite is Sunshine which is never going to be top 100 in a list that's not entirely opinionated, so I've no horse in this race, but I can't believe people who do review and thus spend all their time with gaming for a living would seriously look at SM64, Galaxy and Odyssey and say 64 is the clear winner.

I love at least half of the games on this list and it's cool to see a few of the niche ones get a bit of spotlight but it also takes away any credibility when it makes little sense to how they came to these decisions.

no clue why people expect a list to line up to their tastes, they're aiming for demographics with the choices they make

its always the same games too 😂 personally i think i'd rather see a more opinionated list just to get something unique.

mario kart 8 switch port and acnh being on the list is hilarious though

no clue why people expect a list to line up to their tastes, they're aiming for demographics with the choices they make

its always the same games too 😂 personally i think i'd rather see a more opinionated list just to get something unique.

I know right!

I've played animal crossing, inside, smash bros, mario kart, zelda OoT, minecraft, tetris, mario bros, mario bros 3, mario 64, and breath of the wild (nintendo centric, i know)

Honestly I don't understand why fortnite is higher on the list than acnh and others. Personally it feels very generic to me and even though it's popular I don't find it as unique, captivating, and overall fun versus something like inside?

as for some of the others i understand why they made the list. (Hades, castlevania, final fantasy games, hollow knight, last of us,) Ms. Pac man caught me off guard though, haha.

honestly i wasn't expecting much from this list. It's ign after all.

Who really looks at Donkey Kong arcade and thinks it's one of the best games of all time with its impact and influence taken away? I would at least understand the GameBoy version as it was Donkey Kong + mostly an entirely new game, but the original? Really? I'm willing to bet none of their writing staff have even played the game since June 14th 2018 when it was release on the Switch eShop.
trust me when DK should be in it. it goes all the way back to the arcades, commodore 64, etc. it was a very popular and influential game in its time.

it's ign. people don't expect it to line up with their tastes because they know ign won't. it's a business. ign reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. especially since a few years ago one of their reviewers was fired for plagiarizing a youtuber's review of dead cells.

and agreed. the fact mario kart and acnh is in the top 100 is a joke. the list is them trying to put old games to keep people happy with nostalgia and new games to make developers game sales. there's over 1000 games (being generous) easily that should be on that list before hades, etc. and mortal kombat 11 is on the list, but the original MK isn't? laughable. also, if anything i'm surprised they didn't put pong on the list considering what that game did for the video game world.

as for some of the others i understand why they made the list. (Hades, castlevania, final fantasy games, hollow knight, last of us,) Ms. Pac man caught me off guard though, haha.
there's a reason ms. pac man is on the list. it's considered one of the best if not the best pac man game. especially in the arcades back in the day.

Final Fantasy VII being that high up is a little surprising, but like the description says I guess time marches on...

The big Mario titles were up there, so that's a plus...but Super Mario Odyssey should've made an appearance somewhere. It's platforming perfection.

Also, most Mega Man fans would pick 2 over 3. I know they say they took everything that was good about 2 and improved on it...but the differences are negligible. Mega Man 2 was fun while challenging, Mega Man 3 was fun but at times tedious.

trust me when DK should be in it. it goes all the way back to the arcades, commodore 64, etc. it was a very popular and influential game in its time.

Don't get me wrong, it's legacy and influence are definitely worth a mention for greatest games. It's that they start off by stating they're ignoring legacy and influence but then proceed to include games based on that, further confusing how they've actually come to the decision these are the best ever games.

It's a fun enough game on it's own for 15 minutes, but legacy and influence aside, I doubt many are choosing to play that over pretty much any other game they own.

It's a fun enough game on it's own for 15 minutes, but legacy and influence aside, I doubt many are choosing to play that over pretty much any other game they own.
there are a decent amount of retro gamers out there. along with retro video game stores that make a living off selling retro. obviously anybody under the age of 30 chances are aren't giving retro games a chance. most aren't giving ps3 a chance any more either, which wasn't that long ago.

but a lot of it has to do with introduction. if i introduced my niece and nephew who are younger to donkey kong they would absolutely play it for more than 15 minutes (they play gameboy/gameboy color games too). it's just that many younger people out there today don't know a lot of this stuff exists or weren't introduced to it by family.

granted i know you said "many". however, 39 and a half years from now (how old donkey kong is now) the same could be said for fortnite, which millions of people play now. yet fortnite is on that list now because it's "popular" now with 10 year old squeakers who don't know any other games.

bottom line the ign "top 100 list of all time" is garbage and isn't logical. ign posted to get people talking about it saying how dumb it is so they'd go to the site to look at the list, thus getting ad revenue. so it worked because we're here talking about it.

I’ve probably only played about 10 or so of the Top 100 games but it’s definitely hard to argue about #1. However their list can’t be that spectacular without what’s regarded as one of the best PS2 games ever, Shadow of the Colossus. Surprised that neither Dragon Quest 8 or 11 isn’t on there as well.

Back