• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

If ya'll have a 3DS/2DS which model do you use? Which model would you say is the best?

If ya'll have a 3DS/2DS which model do you use? Which model would you say is the best?

• Original 3DS

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • New 3DS

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • 3DS XL

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • New 3DS XL

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • 2DS

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • 2DS XL

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Results

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
The first 3ds XL is by far my favourite handheld console. I bought a refurbished one off Amazon in 2013 and it still works perfectly! The only time I had to fix it was when the rubber pad broke off after hardcore puzzle leaguing (I’m being serious).

I own 2ds xl and 3ds xl, got rid of my oldest 3ds xl last year and l sti have other 2 but l have to set them up. But rn l use only 2ds xl for now.

I think the 3DS XL is my favorite because it has a big screen, good battery life, stable 3D image quality, and comfortable grip. I currently have a Pikachu Edition of the New 3DS XL and a 2DS XL, both of which I'm satisfied with. I typically play on my 2DS XL for games I prefer playing without the 3D features.

i own the original, the 3ds xl, the 2ds and the new 3ds and the new 3ds is personally my favourite :^) it’s comfortable in your hands, not too big or heavy and the perfect size. plus, it’s customizable and the top half looks better than the og model imo. (not to mention the access to more games. ive been having a blast with minecraft) there’s no prevailing issues such as brittle hinges, peeling paint or wobbly screens that ive experienced with the others

I have an original 3DS, which I purchased in a refurbished state. The later models are, of course, better for their larger screen size, increased RAM, etc. but the main thing that keeps me from recommending the original model, even for the comparatively smaller price tag, is the single, tiny niggle that I have with its overall design that I can't believe made its way through QA testing: That is, when closed, the bezels of the bottom screen leave impressions on the top screen. I suppose it won't ruin your system or be anything more than cosmetically annoying, but it's such a glaring design oversight that I'm a bit miffed.

But even that aside, I find the buttons of the original 3DS to be rather uncomfortable to use. This became most apparent to me when playing racing games; my thumbs would very quickly begin to feel sore. But even for something that is relatively light on button inputs like Animal Crossing, it is hardly ideal.

I think the New 3DS XL is probably the best model you can get if money is no object to you, but that doesn't necessarily make it the best deal for your money. If gaming were a higher priority to me, I would probably consider upgrading to a New 2DS XL. I've heard the construction quality for those leaves something to be desired, but the additional RAM and increased screen size I think would address the only tangible complaints I really have about my 3DS for my particular use case. I never use the 3D, so I wouldn't really miss having that feature.

(EDIT: Oh, and I forgot about battery life! Battery life on the original 3DS is abysmal!)

I originally had the OG small 3DS but returned it as it's home button was of low quality and quit working not long after I had bought it back in 2013. A little later I bought the old 3DS XL and loved it. a few years ago I bought a "New" 3DS XL as after a thousand plus hours the hinge on my old one started to crack. My old one is still fully functional though.

There are things I like and dislike about both models of the 3DS XL but in general They are the ones most worth getting in my opinion.

The old one has a better layout in my opinion and I almost never use the extra buttons that the "new" model has over it. The face tracking 3D on the new one is way better than the 3D on the old model though I'm one of the minority who actually use the 3D on a regular basis. So it doesn't really matter if you are going to play with the 3D slider on off anyways. The new 3DS is also a bit faster which is nice but it's not blazingly fast - it still feels slow compared to my Switch.

If you are tight on cash and will likely not use 3D much anyways then I'd say go for the old 3DS XL. If you don't mind paying more money and want to use 3D then I'd definitely suggest the new 3DS XL. Either option is great in my opinion though.

Back