• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

If ya'll have a 3DS/2DS which model do you use? Which model would you say is the best?

If ya'll have a 3DS/2DS which model do you use? Which model would you say is the best?

• Original 3DS

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • New 3DS

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • 3DS XL

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • New 3DS XL

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • 2DS

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • 2DS XL

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Results

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
Bells
Asking because i'm looking to get a new 3DS/2DS system since my 2DS is broken now. It survived for a good while. I'm aware of the crappy pricing on eBay. Alsoooo is the original 3DS model as bad as people say it is? Is it really uncomfortable?

had an original 3DS and currently use a N3DS XL, and i really vouch for the latter; it was a huge step up in a ton of ways. :') more options, amiibo support, runs better than my old 3DS, was way easier to hack and put new games on, etc. the original 3DS model wasn't bad when it was the only model, but it's definitely... outdated.

i had both the original 3DS in red, and a 3DSXL in blue. (i think it's a pokemon x edition.) i'd personally get the latter if you can afford it just for the larger screen -- it really makes a world of difference. the colors are also slightly better if i remember correctly. (i haven't played my original 3DS in a long time because the charger port is faulty and it needs to be in its holder to charge.) i never really noticed a performance difference, but that's just me. my sister has a 2DS, and... i personally hate that it doesn't close. that just seems so unsafe to me and like it would be more prone to getting damaged/broken if you accidentally dropped it or knocked it off something. that's why i never got one and stuck with the 3DS family. the lack of the 3D feature isn't really an issue because i almost never used it, but that depends on whether or not you care about that.

i've never heard of the original 3DS being uncomfortable though? holding it was always fine for me. it just feels really small when you go back to it after holding a switch lite and/or 3DSXL for a long time. unless you meant something else, like the 3D feature, which i almost never used, but that's only uncomfortable if you have it on for extended periods of time because it can hurt your eyes and/or give you a headache, but that's just a given.

I personally never minded 2DS not having the clamshell design. Even though it does make it look weird. I've seen on a few threads on some websites where a lot of people are saying the og model is uncomfortable:
How do you hold a 3DS comfortably? | NeoGAF

So I don't think i'd buy an og model even if it is cheaper.

yeah, i can't relate to their problem at all. the original 3DS never gave me any more discomfort than a 3DSXL or switch lite has which is to say none.

I've only owned an original 3DS, which I got 10 years ago, and the only issue I had with it was the circle pad cover coming off around 2-3 years ago. Otherwise I've had no problems with it and felt comfortable playing it the entire time. That said, you are better off getting one of the New 2/3DS models (doesn't matter which, though I imagine the N2DSXL and N3DSXL models would be more readily available), since they are more powerful than the original iterations.

I have two original 3DSXLs (pink and white & zelda) and they both work just fine, although the pink one has a huge crack in the hinge so it's a bit fragile and I don't play it much. I get by just fine without the new 3ds cause I don't even use amiibos lol.

I was in the market for a 3DS earlier this year, and when I researched this, I found New 3DS XL seemed to be the consensus favorite, so that's what I bought.

Supposedly the build quality is the best, plus it is the most powerful. Some New 3DS XLs even have IPS screens, though those are more expensive and harder to find.

The only negative thing I would say is it could be a little bulky for games where you might hold the DS in one hand and the stylus in the other. If you're playing two-handed though, it's fine. The screen size is great. I don't personally use the 3D feature.

The other one I had considered was the New 2DS XL. I read the hinge on the New 2DS XL is a little wobbly and the battery is harder to change if it goes out. That said, a New 2DS XL could also be a good option depending on price and condition.

I have 3 of the new models: 3DS, 2DS XL, and 3DS XL. I like all three of them for different reasons, but the one I play on the most is actually the 2DS. I don't use 3D so I don't miss that feature, and it has bigger screens without the weight of the 3DS XL. The hinge is definitely a bit floppier but it doesn't bother me too much. I tend to use the small 3DS when I'm on the train since it's super portable, but I use the bigger systems at home.

I would avoid the older 3DS systems simply because Nintendo stopped making parts/no longer does repairs on them.

I have the 3DSXL and I really liked it. It was comfy to hold and the bigger screen/handheld helped with my longer fingers.

I have the 2DSXL. I cannot use the 3D function because of how my eyes work so it didn't seem worth it to spend the extra money. The 2DSXL is great, just, get yourself a different stylus. The one that comes with it is very small and kind of awkward. It is far easier to use and runs/looks better than the original 2DS.

I've only owned an original 3DS XL and can vouch for it being a good handheld, but I realize that the "New" 3DS and 3DS XL are a bit better in their own right especially since they can run homebrew software faster

I used a New 3DS XL. I actually never used the 3D feature. It was too weird for me. I preferred the New 3DS XL’s because it had the matte finish. It felt nicer to hold than the glossy finish. It also looked nicer. I personally had a red one. I do not own it anymore, but it was nice while I had it.

the first one i ever got was a 3ds (forgot if it was XL or not), had it for a while but then the top screen snapped off of it lmfao
after that I've only ever gotten the original 2ds model since they used to be a lot cheaper to get ur hands on and the current one i have I've been having for two years and have had little to no problems with it (ive had quite a few 2dses due to selling them bc I'd sell them when i quit playing them but im never doing that again)
i like the 2ds more honestly lol😭

I don't have any these days, but I definitely preferred the New 3DS XL out of everyone I've had throughout the years. The"regular" New 3DS was cool with plates etc but also incredibly tiny for my hands (and I have tiny hands!) and the stylus fell off very quickly and nearly no store carried replacements.

I still play on my new 3DS XL! I feel that it is the one model most used as it was the last model made iirc?

I have the original 3DS. I wish I own the new 3DS XL, but it looks nice because of the big screen and good design.

Currently using a 2DS XL after my previous New 3DS got bricked due to an unexpected downpour and a not-waterproofed bag a couple years back. I’ve found both worked well for me - the only issue (awkward positioning after tendonitis wrecked my shoulders) is an issue with both models. (At the moment a Switch with detached joycons is the best way I play.)

Back