• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Someone still plays with the old generation 3ds/2ds?

Rubygame

Bells
Island
Hearthaven
Peach (Fruit)
Yellow Violet
Tasty Cake
Light Blue Balloon
Orange (Fruit)
Green Balloon
Isabelle
Toy Hammer
Yellow Balloon
New Leaf Token
Ok guys, I'll start with a story:
it seems like yesterday when I bought a used Nintendo 2ds XL, making me tempted by the good price. I was very happy because I wanted to enjoy my old games on more powerful hardware and a bigger screen! A lot of things happened when it arrived...
One of the first things I did was update the console, and there I got a black screen with a bunch of text. I think I have never experienced such a big panic in my life!
At the ironic age of 17 I found out what it meant to "mod" a console, and that I had just been scammed! I asked some guys in a computer forum for help, and I managed to restart everything (I had to update luma). Since I didn't intend to use that console as an ornament, I learned how to download games with FBI, and today I play with pleasure with that Nintendo 2ds, even if I'm always afraid it might die out of the blue without me knowing why (believe me, i'm really bad with informatics).
By the way, when I went to complain to the guy who sold it to me, he blocked me, that's all.

Anyway today I play happily with that 2ds and I have noticed, for a long time already, that the resolution is a bit blurry compared to my old 3ds. Maybe more than a "bit".
Don't get me wrong: the 2ds XL like all the new versions (new 3ds and new 3DS XL) is undoubtedly better than the old generation, but I often find myself going back to my old 3ds, with a nice new battery it's doing great! (I still play Animal Crossing New Leaf with it)
Aside from all the scratches on the bottom screen I've mercilessly inflicted on it since I was 11, I think it's still a little gem.

I also admit I'm a bit sentimental, and I'm fond of that little plastic box not only for the memories it evokes in me, but also for the memory of Satoru Iwata, whose death touched me a lot.
I recommend everyone to read his book:
71Fj9jGoMYL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

So, out of curiosity, does anyone still play with the old 3ds or has it become for everyone a scrap of 12 years ago?

I still play my 3DS XL here and there. When the New 3DS came out, the temptation to upgrade was pretty big and I assumed I'd be "forced" to but turns out there were only like 5 exclusive games and none that I cared about. Looking back, I'm very glad I didn't upgrade and stuck with my 3DS XL. The main page lags quite a bit and I only use the basic theme but the games run fine so we're good!

Of course, I play many games on my 3DS. All thanks to being able to get a bigger memory SD card and purchase more games from the eShop. I really love going back and playing these older games I used to play when I was younger. The Switch has a lot of good games going for it... but I will always love the 3DS more.

I haven't played my 3DS in a while. However, when I can eventually locate my copy of White or Black 2 (forgot which one I was playing), I plan to restart and do one of those nuzlocke challenges for the first time! I went through my games last year and learned that I'd only played it for around an hour and a half. All that was there was my starter and a couple of fodder I'd captured.

I believe this is an unpopular opinion, but I genuinely love the actual 3d effect the main consoles had, and I miss it.

My original 3DS from 2011 currently isn't working. I was supposed to replace the battery but I never got around to it. Though I now remember it had other problems such as the charging port no longer working so I had to use the dock (I wonder if that destroyed the battery somehow?) and the 3D slider breaking so that the 3D couldn't be turned off (super annoying!). Thankfully most of my games on it were physical so I didn't lose them and I can still play them on one of my newer 3DS systems.

I still play my gold 3DSXL every day, I'm currently obsessed with Tomodachi Collection haha

I couldn't ever imagine stopping playing it for long periods of time, I consider the 3DS to be in my top 3 Nintendo consoles along with the N64 and Wii 😄

I play some games on occasion. I’m currently downloading as many games as I can onto the 16GB SD card. Not really planning on buying any new games but i am redownloading all of the games I have bought in the past.

My original 3DS from 2012 doesn’t work anymore, but it’s still in my house somewhere. I have a 2DS XL from 2017 ish that I still play from time to time. I was the coolest person on my bus when I brought it out to play NL last year. The 3DS was honestly the nintendo console I’ve spent the most time on; it’d feel weird not to use it once in a while

I play on ALL of my old hardware still because I replay Pokemon games. My original GBC is gone (gave it away because I was an overly generous kid), and my old GBA died. My old GBA SP was taken by an old friend and never seen again. So I did invest in a refurbished GBC and GBA with backlight kits installed for when I replayed all my GBC and GBA Pokemon games. It was great. I still have a working Pikachu N64 and my original Gamecube that I play. I have my Wii too, but I actually don't use it much.

I have my original DS Lite and 3DS (the AC one), and I use them pretty regularly still. Currently on my DS Lite playing Platinum.

I still play my 3DS a TON. I have so many games on Wii U and 3DS I just love so much and cant stop playing even after 10 years of owning the Wi U and 8 1/2 years of a 3DS! Yasss I started gaming young slay I just love all of them but I use an Original 3DS XL that was red before I shoved stickers all over it! I DO own a New 3DS but its the basic non XL with faceplates and I love it but the main reason I use it is 1. Just incase my other one breaks and it takes time to repair (I cant with that mini screen lol), 2. The faceplates are JUST GORGE, 3. I like to trade between my New Leaf towns since I own a few cartridges. It is definitely not a necessity and I didnt need it but I saw one for a great price and my Nanna bought it for me for Christmas a year or two ago!!

I still have my stack of 3DS & 2DS games. I'm glad I never traded them in. I'm currently playing Pokemon Diamond on my 3DS XL.

I still have the original 3ds, but I don't play it regularly anymore. The last few times were to charge and boot up NewLeaf so I could see how I decorated certain rooms that I wanted to recreate for NewHorizon.

I still play my 3DS XL here and there. When the New 3DS came out, the temptation to upgrade was pretty big and I assumed I'd be "forced" to but turns out there were only like 5 exclusive games and none that I cared about. Looking back, I'm very glad I didn't upgrade and stuck with my 3DS XL. The main page lags quite a bit and I only use the basic theme but the games run fine so we're good!
Yeah that system was really weird. It barely had any games intended just for it. Someone bought me a game that needed the new 3dsXL for Christmas a long time ago. I didn't even know it was a thing and luckily I noticed the small disclaimer before I opened it lol.

I still have my old 3DS XL. It’s more of a secondary console now, that and I let my S/O use it as my “new” 3DS XL has most of my digital collection on it so that way I can still play most of my games if he’s using my other 3DS on me.

My old 3DS actually has a crack in the hinge which is the main reason why I upgraded to the “new” model a few years ago. I wanted to make the strain on the hinge less by using it less basically. I also appreciate the improvements that the “new” model brought.

I still have my dsi that I got from new when I was a child, but a couple of years ago it started acting weird by suddenly just giving me a black screen while playing so I became afraid of using it. Then in 2021 I think, after playing pocket camp and playing New Horizons on my sisters Switch I wanted to try New Leaf since people said that the villagers personality are better in that game (which I agree to). I essencially bought a 3ds only to play New Leaf lol Luckily I can also play my old ds games on it, a nicely added bonus!

Last summer I also bought a gameboy advance so I could play Ham Ham Heartbreak - though I don't play every day as I do with New Leaf

My 3DS is the old, original model. I remember reading about some games looking bad on the 2DS and XL, plus it was the cheaper option for me back then. I love the plates for the N3DS so I might upgrade one day.

I still play my new 3DS XL and 2DS XL every once in a while. I'm currently playing my second playthrough of LoZ: Ocarina of Time, though I mainly play on the console for New Leaf. I also purchased some 3DS games I haven't played yet before the eShop shut down, so I'll continue to play it every once in a while. What I like the most about the 3DS is the stylus and interactive touchscreen, both of which are really cool features that amazed me when the console was new. Plus, it's nice that the 3DS has customizable themes for the Home Screen, and it's kinda lame that the Switch doesn't have this feature.

I still play my 3DSXL, the issue that I have is that my battery does not work as well as it used to and does not hold a charge as long as it should. I still very much enjoy playing it, I just have to play it with it plugged in which can be a hassle at times.

Back