• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

I feel like nobody is really happy with the game

no mans sky was also crowdfunded. with a massive amount of money that was donated before the game release, AND a bunch of promises, i can 100% understand why people were upset with the lack of content at launch. i don't recall nintendo making huge promises about new horizons that havent been filled. you paid $60 and got what was advertised. you can be disappointed by a lack of content for sure but they had trailers for all of the big new features and delivered on that.
glitches though, idk. they could have tested more on that. i haven't seen any but the duping one which was a big issue, but they patched it fairly quick as well.

The duping glitch isn't/wasn't as much of an issue as the villager plot glitch. That glitch is pretty much game-breaking.

Last edited:
i don't recall nintendo making huge promises about new horizons that havent been filled. you paid $60 and got what was advertised. you can be disappointed by a lack of content for sure but they had trailers for all of the big new features and delivered on that.
glitches though, idk. they could have tested more on that. i haven't seen any but the duping one which was a big issue, but they patched it fairly quick as well.

I have to agree. There hasn't been anyting Nintendo promised and then held back.

They never promised Shampoodle, Cafe, Gyroids, Brewster, etc.

They promised us crafting, terraforming, path making, moving and place buildings, and it's all been delivered. They also promised "Free Updates" quote from the 2.20.2020 direct. It's only been a week, and we've already seen 1 patch, and 1 update. I think we need to give Nintendo more time, especially right now with COVID-19 shutting down workplaces and putting people out of work.

I'm not TT-ing and I have never run out of things to do in a day or gotten bored.

Agreed. I downloaded the Nintendo Parental Controls app to track my play time. I am playing way too much.

Last edited:
The duping glitch isn't/wasn't as much of an issue as the villager plot glitch. That glitch is pretty much game-breaking.

whats the villager plot glitch?
edit: oooo i see now. thats a pretty bad one.

Last edited:
I didn't know what to expect but I am happy with this game for the most part. It's the local multiplayer and the shared islands that I feel are the disappointing aspects. Local multiplayer is so limited and as someone said, it's like having a glorified visitor who can't do actions or check their inventory while the leader does. That's my biggest gripe about it.

whats the villager plot glitch?

Basically if you go to adopt a villager from someone else's town and that person forced the villager out either by inviting someone in from the campground or with an amiibo, it screws up that villager's plot, that villager will never actually move in, and your town ends up getting screwed up. That is why there is currently a warning against adopting villagers on the forum for the time being. Avoid villager trading on here until they fix it. People thought that they fixed it with yesterday's patch, but unfortunately, it's still there. You can read about it here: https://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?480956-PSA-Do-NOT-adopt-villagers-if-they-were-forced-out-via-Amiibo

Last edited:
I really like it, I'm just extremely upset that the furniture series seems to be gone (at least all my favorites - even widely popular too to others as well), and nobody seems to even care about that? I can't decorate the way I want with sets completely missing, I don't want plain-jane wooden furniture that we can craft :( But other than that, I love th4e game!!!

This game is everything I wanted it to be and more. I haven't had this much fun playing a game in a LOOOONG time.
It's absolutely fantastic.

I do, however, HATE the fact that it's one island per switch. I'd love to have a second island, but not for $400 .-.
But that's less about the game itself.

Last edited:
I really like it, I'm just extremely upset that the furniture series seems to be gone (at least all my favorites - even widely popular too to others as well), and nobody seems to even care about that? I can't decorate the way I want with sets completely missing, I don't want plain-jane wooden furniture that we can craft :( But other than that, I love th4e game!!!

Lots of us care about that. A lot of us are disappointed that so far there seems to only be like 5 super basic furniture sets. This thread might be a good read: https://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?480370-So-Are-Furniture-Themes-Series-And-Sets-Gone

Last edited:
I like everything, basically except for two things:
1. Tools breaking and having to remake them
2. Forced crafting.

I don't mind crafting, but when I'm forced to (such as making the 3 plots and you're forced to make 6 things each) and the tedious job of getting materials, tools breaking, making new tools, get more materials, etc...especially when you can't control 1 of the 3 villagers, it's very frustrating. I like crafting if it's something I want and can do at my pace, but the forced stuff is incredibly frustrating.

So far though it seems like NH has given people a lot of what they've been begging for:

Breaking rocks (even though respawn is random, you can do it as many times as you want)

CHOOSING plots and being able to move all of them, including your own house

Not having to kick up paths to get items, items now fall on top of paths and can be picked up

Even terraforming to an extent, as it seemed nintendo noticed how often people would map reset

Sure, there are features I don't *love* but it's by far not a bad game. The tool/crafting system is my biggest gripe.

I'm having a blast so far. Not to say it doesn't have problems like lack of Gyroids and missing a lot of OG characters. I'm optimistic that with updates this game will be insane assuming they actually add more content instead of just events. Remember the vocal minority will always be louder than the silent majority.

I do get it, but its a little strange to me that people are this upset over the Golden Tools breaking. It's gonna be an absurd amount of uses for those tools to break, and even if it's not, you receive them after you would be grinding out their uses! Except maybe the shovel, which you can easily re-craft another golden one

Last edited:
I could never go back to an old AC (other than the GameCube version for nostalgia). I love almost everything about the game. I'm hopeful they will add more content and the villager dialogue is already improving (unless I'm imagining things).

its funny to me that people are upset over the Golden Tools breaking, obviously it's gonna be an absurd amount of uses for those tools to break, and even if it's not, you receive them /after/ you would be grinding out their uses. Except maybe the shovel, which you can just re-craft another golden one in about 3 seconds total.

I honestly couldn't fathom going back to New Leaf after playing this for a week. terraforming, pole vault, jumping, fences, house placement. Obviously furniture is going to be added, obviously NPCs are going to be added. New clothes, new events, new features are all going to be added so I really don't see why anyone wouldn't like this game :shrug: I'm assuming it's the players who haven't played Wild World, which had less features and was still wildly popular - or haven't played Splatoon, which had multiple free updates with new content and is the same development team.
It's only been out a week!! ♡

I'd be annoyed about golden tools breaking just by how difficult it is to get them in the first place. I can understand tools breaking to an extent because it's more realistic, but golden tools were supposed to be the best of the best, which is why they were so hard to get and rare in the first place.

I feel like in every facet of life, the negative opinions often come out stronger than good opinions. People who are loving the game are spending hours playing every day, and the people who don't like it are pausing to post their gripes. Do I have a couple complaints? Sure. But they're such a small deal (in comparison to everything I LOVE about this game that's causing me to play 6+ hours a day without TT) that I don't care to post about it.

Last edited:
its funny to me that people are upset over the Golden Tools breaking, obviously it's gonna be an absurd amount of uses for those tools to break, and even if it's not, you receive them /after/ you would be grinding out their uses. Except maybe the shovel, which you can just re-craft another golden one in about 3 seconds total.

I honestly couldn't fathom going back to New Leaf after playing this for a week. terraforming, pole vault, jumping, fences, house placement. Obviously furniture is going to be added, obviously NPCs are going to be added. New clothes, new events, new features are all going to be added so I really don't see why anyone wouldn't like this game :shrug: I'm assuming it's the players who haven't played Wild World, which had less features and was still wildly popular - or haven't played Splatoon, which had multiple free updates with new content and is the same development team.
It's only been out a week!! ♡

Here's the thing: we don't KNOW that any of that stuff is going to be added, nor should we be acting like we do. All we've been promised as of right now is for holidays to be added, not for any new (albeit basic ones that should've been there in first place) features. Maybe it's just me, but I just don't really think that we should be saying that its "obvious" when we've been given absolutely no evidence that they are going to do anything of the sort. Once again, while yes, they said they were going to update the game, they only specified that was for holidays. I don't know, I've said this several times before, but I just feel like everyone is suppressing any potential disappointment with over-optimism of something that could very well NOT happen. I absolutely love the game, but I wish people would stop having blind faith in the possibility of DLC we haven't even been told anything about.

Here's how I am approaching it: I'm not going to expect any of that stuff to be added, but if they do, I'll be overjoyed. I just don't want to be so certain that it's going to come, and then when it doesn't, be let down. I'm just afraid that a TON of people on this site could potentially be setting themselves up for a major let down~

In the meantime, I will just enjoy the game for what it is :)

Last edited:
It’s definitely my favourite in the series, and I think the great thing about it is that there will be updates in the future that could fix a lot of issues that many people have. For instance, being able to craft multiple items. I can imagine Nintendo probably have every intention of taking feedback and acting upon it so I’m really not worried.

currently im sad that a few things seem to be missing from the new leaf days, like the various colored gemstones and all the other fruits, but otherwise im having a blast with this game. playing without TT and just enjoying my island life~

I've been playing animal crossing since I was a kid with the gamecube and I am in love with new horizons! It has such polished animation and the activities that the villagers do are so adorable. I am extremely pleased with the game so far and I am looking forward to future events and updates!

no mans sky was also crowdfunded. with a massive amount of money that was donated before the game release, AND a bunch of promises, i can 100% understand why people were upset with the lack of content at launch. i don't recall nintendo making huge promises about new horizons that havent been filled. you paid $60 and got what was advertised. you can be disappointed by a lack of content for sure but they had trailers for all of the big new features and delivered on that.
Heh sorry I no I didn't mean they were lying I was just using that as an example of like "look this is bad but people like it for some reason"

- - - Post Merge - - -

Here's the thing: we don't KNOW that any of that stuff is going to be added, nor should we be acting like we do. All we've been promised as of right now is for holidays to be added, not for any new (albeit basic ones that should've been there in first place) features. Maybe it's just me, but I just don't really think that we should be saying that its "obvious" when we've been given absolutely no evidence that they are going to do anything of the sort. Once again, while yes, they said they were going to update the game, they only specified that was for holidays. I don't know, I've said this several times before, but I just feel like everyone is suppressing any potential disappointment with over-optimism of something that could very well NOT happen. I absolutely love the game, but I wish people would stop having blind faith in the possibility of DLC we haven't even been told anything about.

Here's how I am approaching it: I'm not going to expect any of that stuff to be added, but if they do, I'll be overjoyed. I just don't want to be so certain that it's going to come, and then when it doesn't, be let down. I'm just afraid that a TON of people on this site could potentially be setting themselves up for a major let down~

In the meantime, I will just enjoy the game for what it is :)
Also, how often would they even do these updates? Do they know that people are upset with the lack of content?

Back