I absolutely HATE writing letters- how often do you do it?

I HATED writing letters when I first started playing. Now, I've grown to enjoy writing them. I've already received my gold letter writing badge, so now, I only write my villagers for holidays, their birthdays, my birthday, and when they do things like visit me, or if I stand them up.

I try to treat it as if I'm writing an actual letter to a friend. It's been more fun that way.

When I first started playing, I read somewhere to always include the word "friend" in your letters, as they like that and it increases friendship. I did it, but IDK if it worked or not. I already talked to them a lot and did errands, so maybe my friendship was advanced because of those things. But since you say yours like it too, maybe there's something to that theory.

I'm not sure if including "friend" helps either, but it's the best word to use I suppose since I usually don't know what else to say to make it longer when I'm writing. "Buddy" was too short apparently (weird since it's only one letter less...), and the villagers noticed that and commented something like way to give me a short letter with no meaning (? <-something similar to this anyways, I don't remember exactly).

I don't write letters to increase friendship though so I've never experimented with that. I usually just do errands and eventually they give me their pics. I've gotten 6 so far this month from Pekoe (finally, 5 months really?! lol), Elvis once, Whitney and Ken twice so yeah, no letters from my mayor at all.

I got tired of writing them letters. I used to do it for a while and reply to some of them, but it got tiring.

i try to avoid it..hopefully the next AC will have a "talk and text" kinda thing except with writing letters. The tiny keyboard is a pain to type on especially with a stylus

I'm an avid streetpasser. My first letter to villagers is usually something like "If you are reading/hearing/seeing/imagining/feeling this, you are in a coma. We are testing a new method to get this message to you, and we don't know where or when you will perceive this message. Please wake up. We miss you." so whenever they move over streetpass and show it off the recipient of the villager gets freaked out.

I used to write a lot of letters back when my town was still new and I was trying to build up friendships, but that's pretty much died down now. I don't particularly hate writing them (I think I've actually gotten used to typing them out pretty well), but at this point I really only bother with sending letters to newer villagers. If someone is thinking about moving, I'll also send them one last letter on their way out.

Last edited:
Well, I recently got the gold badge in writing letters, and got all my dreamies & have high friendship with pretty much everyone, so there's no pressure or need for me to write constantly anymore >_<; I still write some when I really wanna change villagers shirts tho.. Or they need furniture pieces.. Speaking of which I should send Willow some furniture, half her house is empty right now xD..

I wanted the letter writing badge, so I bought 16 stacks, and wrote 64 letters to my villagers with "you suck", later telling Isabelle they all had naughty letters! ;)

Not super often, unless I'm trying to get a pic or want them in a different shirt.

I may step it up a bit though, as I would like to get the badge.

Every day for maybe 3 weeks now! And I have two towns, so sometimes it can be a bit draining. I heard that it's easier to get villager pictures that way, but I'm not sure if that's true. One day I got presents back from everyone I sent one to, which was cool. Once Simon sent me a letter with a present out of the blue. I started playing last month.

It's been....decades? since I last wrote a 'proper' letter to any of my villagers. Not something I am particularly proud of, but yes, I really, really dislike writing letters. What I still do once in a loooong while though, is send them non-native Perfect Fruits in the mail with a few words. Actually, it seems that they do not mind me not bothering with sending letters one bit. Which is good. Guess they are all clingy when you first started as the Mayor in a new game, after establishing above average friendship with them, they will kinda give that writing thing a rest.

It seems to me that it won't quite affect the friendship level, as I compensate by talking to them frequently when possible, and most of them would happily give me their pictures, send me random gifts in the mail on a regular basis, and drop by for visits rather often. Wish there is some sort of indicator to let us guage if we have maxed out on the best-buddy-ness though.

I actually don't mind writing letters! I don't have issues typing myself.
Having said that, I haven't gone for the badge. I imagine someone that has, must have wrote enough letters to drive anyone to hate it though :p

Last edited:
I write letters to my dreamies a lot, especially when I find furniture for them. It helps me keep my friend level up with them, and it always helps to write "friend" and add little symbols too. I try to do it everyday but don't always get around to it, I just recently got my first letter badge.

I used to write them quite frequently, but soon it became a chore. Now I only write them if I'm sending them an item really.

I barely even do it as I'm creating my perfect town so I don't have time too chat. (I also run a gardening shop which is a pretty demanding business so I just pop in too water and tt too the next day)

I do it every so often, just to raise my friend ship or send them refurbished furniture. When I do I just put nonsense and random words down, never real words unless accidentally. But really I never send them letters, it's just a hassle and a waste of time.

I usually tend to reply to the letters they send me (except the letters thanking me for visiting them or visiting me). I also send them letters when I want to give them stuff. Sometimes I just send them letters because I'm bored.

I don't like writing villagers letters. I have funner stuff to do. I wanted my gold letter writing badge, so I spent quite awhile writing nonsence letters to my villagers. I was so happy when I finally got that badge. I never write to them now that I don't have to.

Back