• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How old am I?

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Hot Cocoa
Snowflake Glow Wand
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Orange Candy
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
This is an identity blog, giving out interesting age facts that reflect upon my age and others' ages. Clearly, I am 25 years old. Honestly, I don't feel much different from when I was 18, or at least when I was 20. But I vowed to change my life for the better once I turn 25. And I have been making changes slowly.

But the blog entry isn't much about age. It's about generations. As time goes by, we get older, and the next generation will take over that age group. But one thing that never changes is when you're born. Since I am 25 as of 2018, and that my birthday has already passed, I would be born in 1993.

Facts:

• I was born in the year Jurassic Park (the first movie) came out in theaters. If you were just as old back then as I am now, you'll be 50 today, or half a century old. If you were that old when Jurassic Park came out, not only you'll be 75 today, but you'd be older than Steven Spielberg. And if you were that old when Jurassic Park came out, you'll be 100 today.
  • Those who are 50 today would be 9 when A New Hope (originally called Star Wars) came out in theaters. When I was just that old, Attack of the Clones (the second movie of the prequel trilogy) came out in theaters.
  • Those who are 75 today would been 2 years old when Franklin D Roosevelt died in office. When I was that old, the Oklahoma City bombing happened.
  • Those who are 100 today would been 10 when Reese's Peanut Butter Cups were invented. When I was that old, the packaging for Reese's Fastbreaks (which were actually new for the time) changed for the first time.
  • I was 24 when the Nintendo Switch was first released. If you are that old today, you would've been born in the year the original PlayStation first came out. If you were that old when I was born, you would've been born in the year of the first Moon landing.
  • I was 21 when I first joined Bell Tree Forums. If you were that old today, you would've been born in the year Netflix was founded. If you were that old when I was born, you would've been born in the year Atari was founded.
  • I was 20 when Animal Crossing: New Leaf came out. If you were that old today, you would've been born in the year Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time came out. If you were that old when I was born, you would've been born in the year Pong gotten more popular.
  • The last time I went to Disneyland was in 2011, when I was 18. If you were that old today, you would've been born in the New Millennium year. If you were that old when I was born, you would've been my age today back in the New Millennium year.
  • At the beginning of the decade, I turned 17. If you were that old today, you would've been born in the year of the 9/11 attack. If you were that old when I was born, you would've been born in the year of the American bicentennial.
  • I was 14 when the iPhone first came out in stores. If you were that old today, you would've been born in the year Facebook was created. If you were that old when I was born, you would've been born in the year Activision was founded.
  • I was 13 when I started learning about natural disasters. If you were that old today, you would've been born in the year Hurricane Katrina hit. If you were that old when I was born, you would've been born in the year Mount St. Helens erupted.
  • I was 8 when Shrek (yes, the very first Shrek movie) came out in theaters. If you were that old today, you would've been born in the year when Despicable Me came out in theaters. If you were that old when I was born, you would've been 10 when Toy Story first came out. Speaking of that, I was that old when Finding Nemo (another popular Pixar film) first came out.
  • I was 6 when Spongebob first premiered. If you were that old today, you would've been born in the year Gravity Falls premiered. If you were that old when I was born, you would've been 18 when Avatar: The Last Airbender premiered. Speaking of that, I was that old when The Amazing World of Gumball premiered.
Yes, that's how old I am, and how old you would've been in those situations. If you are about my age, here's what you would've remembered (besides the 9/11 attack):

• When McDonald's still had their mascot characters in their advertising. They even had a VHS cartoon series based on their characters.
  • The Taco Bell chihuahua (you would've had a better memory of it if you were older).
  • Anything related to Bionicle (one of the best Lego franchises), including when the first sets appeared on the market.
  • When the Star Wars prequels first came out in theaters (and the promotions for them).
  • When the GameCube, PlayStation 2, and original Xbox first appeared on the market.
  • When Disney's California Adventure first opened and when it was more about California rather than another Disney park (like what they have been changing it to recently).
  • When Shrek first came out.
  • The pre-movie era of Spongebob.
  • When landline phones, DVDs, and Windows XP were mainstream.
  • Video rental stores (which were also video game rentals, they even had Nintendo 64 games).
  • And of course, when the gadgets the smartphone made obsolete (such as alarm clocks, maps, and handheld cameras) were still popular.
And all of what I just said in the second bulleted list happened before I turned 13 years old. You would've had a better memory of all this if you were older, but you would've also remembered all the other stuff that happened long before. Lot of the stuff I mentioned in this list (California Adventure Park, Bionicle, GameCube, Shrek, pre-movie Spongebob, Windows XP, and popularity of video stores and old school gadgets) either started or were more relevant to the year 2001. Strangely enough, that was also when the 9/11 attack happened. In addition, there are some years in my life history more significant than other years. 2001 is one of them. But now is 2018. Most of you wouldn't even know half of what I mentioned. I'm kinda the same way with Cabbage Patch dolls, He-Man, Atari 2600, older package designs of snacks, former Disneyland attractions, and Unix computers. I bet you that when I turn 50, a lot of stuff we'll see within the next 10 years will have almost no meaning by then.

Dang we're old! Spongebob was my jam when I was a little kid, I literally had several consecutive years of Spongebob themed birthday parties, probably from when I was 7-11 or something... like I had Spongebob everything.

One thing that made me feel super old was a video of kids trying to "listen" to Cassette tapes, like asking where the headphone jack was, and kids not knowing what floppy discs are besides being "the save button." -_- I had a camera that was massive and used floppy discs for the film (I still have it somewhere.) And the floppy's were so small in memory that they could only hold like 20 photos on each... now you can get like a 1TB SD for your camera...

Back