• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Prehistoric Civilizations

Do you believe there was another civilized species in prehistoric times?

• Yes

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Hot Cocoa
Snowflake Glow Wand
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Orange Candy
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
While we’re trying to discover life beyond the Earth, there’s another curiosity about the Earth. Do you think there civilization on the Earth before human life began? Because the Earth is millions of years old, it’s possible that we had at least another species or two that were just as civilized and technologically advanced as humans. In fact, the last mass civilization like we have today could’ve been wiped out by that asteroid from 65 million years ago.

Part of the reason why it’s possible that civilized life existed before humanity is because any geological evidence of that could be obliterated by natural changes. Structures may last hundreds of years, if not, thousands of years, but geological processes can wipe all that out after it’s been a million years. So while we don’t have evidence that a past civilization from that far may have existed, such evidence can’t last for over a million years. Even today’s buildings, life, and products could disappear after another million years. But since we weren’t there, we wouldn’t know if something like that existed.

No, seems unlikely since we haven't found any evidence of that.. The oldest known fossil that we have from our planet is like 3.5 billion years old, so surely there'd be at least some evidence of pre-human civilization still hanging around. It's a cool concept to think about though!

I believe it is possible rather than yes or no. Some religions speak of of a few other races before the human race. Supposedly they were wiped out by a flood each time.
Piecing together other stories, there is some sort of very long cycle that ends up ending in some sort of mass land movement and floods. Like a random large astroid hitting from the belt we pass through every autumn or some planetary body that comes close after x amount of time that has a large gravitational pull which is assumed to be why so many planets are tilted and stuff in our solar system.
This is all speculation stories.

But yes, I think it is possible.
And as for other advanced civilizations (made of humans) before us is an absolute yes I believe that. There are too many things I noticed in archeology and the long time of humanity existing like it has, it would be silly to think we are the most advanced impo. Large natural disasters happen and yeah it can get rid of alot of clues. But how much does the average person know about the great civilizations in South America that we are still discovering about and realize more and more that they were more advanced than we initially thought.
I guess I just like to keep my mind open
There were ruins found in 2021 that caused a change in how long humanity has been living in cities. Göbekli Tepe in Turkey and there are multiple close sites to it. Some even older. As technology advances we will notice more details about civilizations we have already uncovered and more things will have to be changed, and not just added to, in books and records.

Correction, it was discovered in the 1960s but...As of 2021, somewhere in the region of 5% of the site had been successfully excavated.

Last edited:
Hmmm. My answer to this is complicated I think.

I don't think that there were any civilizations that existed previous to ours that was as advanced or more advanced than ours. However, I don't think we have the full picture of how far civilization goes back. I think Humans and other humanoid species have been participating in "civilization" for longer than we think, but it is not necessarily provable without good evidence. I think the same of language; it is possible that humanoids that existed before and around humans were using some form of language before homo sapiens. Researchers can do fun things like attempt to model how other homo-species would have looked anatomically using skulls and bones that we find, and there is some evidence to suggest that they also spoke and used language. However, there is no way to prove this definitively. My suspicion is they likely did, and our language abilities are somewhat derived from theirs.

Humans have always been clever, wanting to be in groups, and organize.

While we’re trying to discover life beyond the Earth, there’s another curiosity about the Earth. Do you think there civilization on the Earth before human life began? Because the Earth is millions of years old, it’s possible that we had at least another species or two that were just as civilized and technologically advanced as humans. In fact, the last mass civilization like we have today could’ve been wiped out by that asteroid from 65 million years ago.

Part of the reason why it’s possible that civilized life existed before humanity is because any geological evidence of that could be obliterated by natural changes. Structures may last hundreds of years, if not, thousands of years, but geological processes can wipe all that out after it’s been a million years. So while we don’t have evidence that a past civilization from that far may have existed, such evidence can’t last for over a million years. Even today’s buildings, life, and products could disappear after another million years. But since we weren’t there, we wouldn’t know if something like that existed.
Most of the seas haven't been explored.

Plus our historical relics have been censored. Some Egyptian statues used to have more below the belt.

Most of the seas haven't been explored.

Plus our historical relics have been censored. Some Egyptian statues used to have more below the belt.
Why were the historical artifacts censored? Did they not fit peoples’ narratives, or were they ruined by nature?

Psh, of course! I mean, anything is possible really. If you don't discount anything you can't actually disprove, it leaves so much open.

Civilized doesn't need to mean industrial, so it's possible there were small civilized groups that came and went, wiped out by natural disaster, asteroid, etc.

I think that it's really important to remember that we don't always know 'what we don't know'. We see a few fossils, some geological layers, some impact craters... we form a picture of the past. But we have no clue what we might be missing - because evidence didn't last or we haven't found it yet. And we don't know how much of the picture we've uncovered.

As mentioned also - we've barely touched the ocean, esp the floor.

I think it's hilarious to think what might've happened in the past that we'd never know about. I mean, imagine an alien ship landing on earth, having a bit of a vacation, hunting some dinos, checking out the native flora and fauna, picking up some samples, then packing up the ship and heading out, never to return. And we would never know they were here! 😅

Back