• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

When's the latest someone said "Happy New Year" to you?

eeveelovee

๐Ÿ”ฎ Pokรฉmon Master ๐Ÿ”ฎ
Bells
Island
Ashlar
Yellow Balloon
Pink Balloon
February Birthstone (Amethyst)
Crystal Tree
I believe there's a certain time when folks should stop saying "Happy New Year" I believe that point should be between January 1st-10th, and no later than that.

HOWEVER, I remember a few years ago, at my old job, a customer walked in, in FEBRUARY, (I don't remember the date, just the month) And he announced to myself, and a bunch of my co workers HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Before he left. Sure he was just being nice, but like dude, it was February LOL!!

Has anyone ever said "Happy holidays" or "Happy New year" to you, well after they were over? Also, WHEN do you think someone should stop saying it?

Only my family and parents, but I was in the mood of "I don't care" and so far this year has been trash to me.

I don't have anyone say happy New year past the last day of the year or the first day of the New Year unless I go into a Chinese restaurant.
People celebrate the same or similar holidays different days or even months of the year. The Eastern Orthodox church has their Christmas much later (6-7 of Jan) than other branches of Christianity for example (25 Dec). And some say Merry Christmas in USA as early as before Thanksgiving in November due to families traveling and celebrating early due to work or weather. So timing of someone mentioning a holiday out of the time I'm familiar with doesn't make me double look. I just assume they celebrate a different time for whatever reason and want to spread good wishes.

It should become the social norm to say "Happy New Year" to someone the first time you speak to them in the new year, regardless of when in the year that encounter might occur. Yes that might mean saying it to someone in November, but that's not my fault is it? Call your friends more often.

I think it can depend on the culture. It's very multicultural where I live and I'm often offered well-wishes of this kind all year round. Though in my own culture we say Happy New Year to a person when we see them for the first time that year, even if it's like the summer or something and New Year was months ago.

The latest has been a couple times in late January/early February. Usually when I haven't spoken with somebody for a while. Which is really no big deal at all. As someone pointed out already, it's mostly a norm to mention this upon the first time you speak. It kind of fizzles out after that and I don't give it too much deep thought myself.

I think someone said Happy New Year to me earlier this February, so thatโ€™s definitely the latest. I donโ€™t think thereโ€™s really any reason to say it after the first half of January, because the year really isnโ€™t new beyond that point.

I donโ€™t think Iโ€™ve ever had anyone say โ€œHappy New Yearโ€ to me after the first few days of January have passed. My family and friends always say it to me on the first day of January, or even on December 31st if theyโ€™re in a different timezone or going to bed before midnight or something. Anyone outside of my friends and family might say it to me a few days later if I didnโ€™t run into them on New Yearโ€™s Eve/New Yearโ€™s Day, but thatโ€™s fair. No matter how late it is, being wished a Happy New Year is always a kind sentiment imo. ๐Ÿ’œ

In my experience for the international new year, sometime around early January is when I'd stop hearing the greetings. in person. For the most part, work people and colleagues will just blast it out as texts and friends/family would have already exchanged it on the 31st of December or 1st of January plus a few days. It doesn't bother me if you say it late though. I live in a country that celebrates Chinese New Year and Khmer New Year (for Cambodians) so I'm hearing it basically until April.

The first day of January and no later. If someone says it later then I usually ignore them!

I guess mid-January? Idk, I never know when to stop saying it, I usually only do it for the first week or so. But I think I read a happy new year greeting in an email sent out in mid-late January and for a second I was like, wtf? Lol

This hasn't really happened to me but I have been the person that says it late as of this year.

I exchange Happy New Year wishes with family and friends either at midnight when New Year's Eve transitions into New Year's Day or, at least, on New Year's Day itself. I did that for the most part this year but got a bit distracted and busy and didn't get the opportunity to talk to someone until a day or two afterward. I still wished them a Happy New Year anyhow and they reciprocated. It'll motivate me to be more on top of things before New Year's 2025 rolls around.

On some level I think it's still appropriate if it's within the first few days of January and it's the first time you saw/spoke to someone since the year changed, though it does feel a bit awkward. Past the first week is pushing it, I'd say. Maybe switch it up to something like "Hey, sorry I missed you until now, but I hope you have a great year!" or whatever if you feel you must acknowledge it.

It should be said on the first of January. Thereโ€™s no reason to be saying it any later. I donโ€™t see a reason to say it all, to be honest, but thatโ€™s for another day.

I cannot remember anyone telling me Happy New Year after New Year's, honestly. I didn't realize people do that.

Edit: Unless the Lunar New Year counts but I won't count that.

I only ever heard my family say it directly on New Year's Day. After that I never heard from it again.

I got a work email that said "Happy New Year!" on January 31 and internally I was like "huh??" Usually I only hear it within the first two weeks of January, then I totally forget about it. But I don't mind, it's just someone trying to be polite.

Back