• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How do you pronounce "TBT"?

How do you pronounce "TBT"?

• The Bell Tree

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Tee-bee-tee

Votes: 129 94.2%
  • Tuh-buh-tuh

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Too-boo-too

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tibbit

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Tib't

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please share in comments!)

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters

.: Meri :.

-love brought me some eternal petals-
Bells
Switch
1708-1067-1998
Island
Lostglade
Blue Hybrid Hyacinth
Blue Hybrid Hyacinth
Golden Watering Can
White Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
White Rose
White Rose
White Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Looked for a thread on this and couldn't find one—anyway, I'm really curious as to how everyone pronounces the abbreviated form of The Bell Tree, TBT! 👀 I've always read it as "tee-bee-tee" myself. I tried to include as many possible pronunciations in the poll options as I could think of, but if I left out the way you read it, please do share!

As a bonus question, when talking about the site currency, do you pronounce it the same way you normally do, or do you say "bells"? I stick with "tee-bee-tee" except in the places where it's actually written out as "bells".

This is an interesting thread...
so far I'm the only one who picked "The Bell Tree" when I see the abbreviation "TBT" I always mentally pronounce it "The Bell Tree" in my mind
same with the site's currency.

Tee-bee-tee is my pronunciation. I’ll say “The Bell Tree” in my mind. I do call the currency bells, though, because TBT is a forum to me. It’s usually easy to differentiate between forum bells and game bells depending on context, but I’ll clarify if there’s any confusion.

Here’s my breakdown:
TBT=place
tbt=currency
bells=in-game currency

I will rarely use the old BTB (Bell Tree Bells) in place of tbt, if I know the person I’m using it with was around and active when BTB was commonplace to use.

I honestly wish it were still used to better differentiate between the two variations of “Tbt” that I’ve described above. One could more distinctly be a place, while the other could more distinctly be currency.

I pronounce it as Tee-Bee-Tee. I also think TBT is a better name for the forum currency vs BTB (Bell Tree Bells) since I think it makes it more unique compared to other mediums of exchange for trading (makes it less confusing for people that prefer TBT instead of in-game bells as payment).

The English pronunciation.

Given currency has come up: I always use "forum currency", "forum bells", or "TBT bells". "TBT" alone doesn't make sense grammatically.

i’ve always pronounced it as “tee-bee-tee”, but now i’m tempted to start pronouncing it as “too-boo-too”... just for fun lol. 😋

i’ve always called the currency tbt/“tee-bee-tee” as well haha. i know that btb/bells/tbt bells would make more sense, but i’m just used to calling it tbt. plus tbt seems to be the most common name for it, and bells could be mistaken for in-game bells, so i also use it to avoid confusion.

I use the following initialisms

The site is "TBT" (I say "tee-bee-tee" or The Bell Tree)
The currency is "tbt" (I also say "tee-bee-tee" or Bell Tree bells)
And in-game currency "igb" ("eye-gee-bee" or in-game bells)

When it comes to the currency, I feel like "tbt" functions as descriptive, like "$8 Canadian"
"8 tbt" reads to me as "8 bells, The Bell Tree"

I think of the site as “The Bell Tree” or “Bell Tree forums” and the currency as “TBT” since that’s where it’s commonly used. With no context I pronounce the abbreviation tee-bee-tee, but I guess my brain might say “The bell tree” sometimes if it’s clearly being used in reference to the entire website.

I read it as tee-bee-tee, which is kinda unusual for me since I have a habit of pronouncing abbreviations wrong in my head (ie: Etc. as “etic” instead of etcetera, png as “ping” instead of pee-en-gee and ACNH as “ack-nuh” instead of ay-cee-en-aitch).

Back