Crowsie

Mnemosyne's Finest
Bells
Eerie Star Potion
Will-o'-the-wisp Halloweaster Egg
October Birthstone (Opal)
Tasty Cake
Black Hybrid Rose
Basically, I'm asking what your headcanons are. We all know villagers have gotten progressively blander and more RNG as the series has gone on. While it's disheartening, I wanted to know if any of you guys have filled in the gaps with your own headcanons. I'm curious to see how we all personify our villagers in different ways. You know, little details and stories you've come up with over your time playing that bring your animals to life beyond their pre-coded personalities.

Here are some standouts from my current residents:

Dobie
His full name is Robert, but he prefers Dobie.

He's a solitary older guy. He's been an islander his whole life, barring a brief stint of a few years spent on the coast (he came back for Welcome Amiibo). While solitary by nature, he's very open and considerate, if a bit curmudgeonly. He can also become quite the crank at times, but he never means to offend.

He's so used to island life that he probably can't even sleep without the white noise of the waves beyond his window.

His diet comprises of dried, pickled, and preserved fruits and fish. His favorites being mackerel and sun-dried peaches. He's definitely the type of elder who'd get on you to eat some weird, shriveled up fungus claiming that it's panacea. It may taste like tar and charcoal but he may be on to something.

I imagine he's in his 60s. Not so old that he needs a carer, but he's certainly starting to feel his years. He gets around just fine, but sometimes I'm a bit worried when I find him lifting weights out in front of his house or catch him asleep standing up on the beach. Still, he's a rather spry and has many years ahead of him.
Vivian is his only granddaughter. They live on the same island but she's so busy she hardly has time to keep tabs on him. Which is fine by him, since he's no helpless old man! He's not over the hill yet!

Filbert
Filbert wanted to be an astronaut as a child, to soar among the stars and find out if the moon was really made of green cheese. Unfortunately, astronaut academy has height requirements and poor Fil just didn't measure up. No matter, as you don't need height to pretend to be among the stars. That's his loophole.

He's in his early twenties, but forever a kid at heart. He's kind of the kid of the town, everyone's little brother. While his neighbor Dom hates being babied for his adorable appearance, Fil absolutely adores it. He totally plays up his cuteness. Probably a bit too often, coming across as immature and ditzy despite being a (diminutive) adult man. Especially when he pouts.

He's got an affinity for the whole space aesthetic, though a more toyish than the gorgeous swirling galaxy aesthetic that's popular nowadays. He loves bright blue, full moons that look like sugar cookies, rocket ships, and twinkling cartoon stars. Fun fact: His adult home is an almost perfect recreation of his childhood bedroom.

Filbert and Sherb are best buds. They get along fabulously because Filbert loves outer space and Sherb is totally a space cadet.
Now if only his bestie could stay awake for more than 15 minutes at a time.

Dom
His full name is Dominic, but only his Maa calls him that.

Dom looks deceptively swole because he's a ram, but underneath all that downy wool is a rather slight frame. He's insecure about it, so be sure to validate his fluffiness any time he asks. Or even begins to ask. Or before he even asks. Especially since he's so sensitive. Remember, he's not small - he's solidly packed. Muscle is denser than wool!

He's a ruminant, but he doesn't eat like a sheep. His gains require a big appetite and could probably eat any lazy villager under the table. Soybeans for protein (bro-tein, he calls it), oranges for calcium, and veggie kebabs for fun keep him strong. Takes him ages to get through a meal on account of his tendency to chew the cud. Or as he puts it, his jaw routine.

Dom's the middle child of brothers. His fitness journey was born out of no longer wanting to be the smallest and lightest of his siblings. Ironically enough, they all look near-identical. You probably couldn't pick Dom out of a lineup.

Jacques
He's a wash-up. He spent most of his university years DJing at parties intending to move on to 'bigger and better things' once his music career took off. Those bigger and better things never came (K.K. Slider just STAYS famous, hardly any room for new acts), so now he just composes the occasional track or records a song or two here and there. It keeps the lights on and bells in his purse, but the quiet life is far from the fantasies of critical acclaim and recognition he wanted for himself in his youth. Oh well, as long as he sings very loudly for whoever will listen, his life doesn't have to be so quiet.

He's around 35-ish, but he's babyfaced (chickfaced?) so he gets away with telling others he's in his mid-20s. When Brewster returns, he'll finally be able to return to his mostly coffee diet. He'll also get to go back to trying to convince the pigeon to let him perform at The Roost. Just once? No? Okay, maybe next week then.

He's self-absorbed, but nice. Spends most of his non-singing time in his own head dreaming of what could have been. Light conversation will pull him back down to earth for the moment, but Jacq will forever be the almost-famous guy, going on about record deals he almost secured, or the gigs that almost put him on the map. His name may never be on the full-color flyers, but so long as he has a song in his heart he's gonna keep singin' it.

Last edited:
I love these. You did a great job making them unique characters. I can't even tell you which my favorite is. Possibly Filbert? They're all well written/thought out. For some reason that detail about Dobie needing the sound of the waves to sleep really stuck out to me. Well done!

I did an entire post on Sherb once. When I showed it to someone (who to be fair doesn't play animal crossing) they said something along the lines of: "I like it. It's a tongue-in-cheek take on someone who got weird after not interacting with people and obsessing over a game for too long." Unfortunately, that wasn't my intention, so their assessment was not flattering.

The Sherb post was half in jest, but I do get sort of fleeting headcanons about some of my villagers. So far I haven't gotten anything as detailed as what you have here. For no reason in particular, I get the idea that the athletically unimpressive and pitifully clumsy Stella (normal sheep), has started doing strength training in private.

This has honestly inspired me. I think I might try to figure something out for my own villagers.

Last edited:
I basically tell myself the villagers from older games 'flew over the cuckoos nest', and in NH, they landed in it.

You don't even understand how much I love this!
I've always kinda thought this way about villagers, even in NL. However I think mine are a lot more general and have more to do with villagers being related n such, and how the entire town personality dynamics/vibes fit together with each other ,myself, and my town "theme".
Examples: I like to think of Bluebear/Kody as siblings, Tia/Chai as fraternal twins, etc... so when they argue I'm like "wow such drama, sibling rivalry at it's finest" and I love it lol

I also generally have a university/school in all my towns and try to fit villagers in that will give it that student variety. Like Eugene is the cool guy who actually really loves his family and is going to school for them but doesn't want anyone to know it. Shep is the dude with the hacky-sack in the quad being chill as heck all day long... you get the gist~

Rolf is a well-traveled grandpa with many adventures to tell. He's always looking out for the young ones. Those who work hard earn his respect. That's why he has a soft spot for Sable and cannot resist Mable's persistent persuasive ways, which explains why he always ends up buying new shirts he has no need of. The other oldie on my island is Wolfgang. Unlike Rolf, Wolfgang prefers to find his adventures in books. He reads all the time. I've found him with his nose buried in a book on a log stool, in a swing, under a cherry tree, on the beach, next to a roaring waterfall. He loves his books.

Sherb and Claude are my so-called lazy islanders. But let me tell you this. Come closer. *whisper* It's a cover. They're retired secret agents. They talk about bugs all the time because no one else likes bugs so they will keep their distance. Also, who knows bugs better than secret agents? They like to talk about Grandma but, wait, has anyone actually seen Grandma? Nope. And why do you think they're not allowed to fly in an airplane anymore?

Raymond is a salaryman who missed his chance at becoming a pro baseball player. He's never quite recovered from the trauma of not achieving his dream, so he puts up a smug front to keep others out. Behind that preening exterior and bombastic vocabulary is a little-boy-Raymond who needs a hug.

Tangy and Tutu are cute and young and impressionable and want to be celebrity superstars. I encourage them. Dom is all about being a jock. Because he believes everything he reads about being a jock. So don't admire his fluffiness or sheep-like ways. Praise his imaginary muscles instead! It makes him happy, after all. Unlike the previous three, Fuchsia has her feet firmly planted on the ground. Sure, she's not one to mince her words and gives out a stink eye freely but she's wise in the ways of the world. Very deeply so. She is my island's MVP.

Maelle... is a duck. Who looks good in everything I give her.

(Everything I know about my islanders is based on what I've learned from interacting with them. Really.)

Bella the metal-loving mouse just moved to my town. She kicked out Piper - the cute white bird - to move in. She had immediately formed a character in my mind. Here's a story for spooky time:

The day Bella actually moved to town, I noticed a barbeque at the plaza. Tia was there, eating some skewers, I noticed something that looked distinctly like bird meat on it...

I was immediately mortified on behalf of Tia who was innocently eating bird meat just after Piper "left". Later on I spoke to Bella, the first thing she said to me was that she didn't want her house to appear "incriminating" - her exact wording!

Obviously, this means Bella killed Piper and fed her to the town on a BBQ :eek::eek:

My villagers are all people under a forest curse. I might go into more detail about their past lives, maybe not. What I know for sure is they shouldnโ€™t have eaten the conveniently bountiful fruits...

I used to make these "Fun [villager] Facts" posts when I was 12 about various female villagers, but they were really bizarre and tended to involve NSFW subject matter syo I don't really like to think about them.
I do think Bonbon is a jirai kei girl though.

Actually, nyow that I think about it, I feel like Rowan would probably listen to the Vocaloid producer Atols, since he shares his English name and birthday respectively with, like, the only two other Atols fans I know. (Funny how that happens.)

I don't necessarily 'personify' my villagers, as much as I like to elaborate on their dialogue. For example, in my New Leaf town, Cole had told me he was too shy to deliver a package to Tiffany. How cute! I delivered it to her and saw them together later that day. So, I basically made up a whole little love story for the two of them. Other than that, the only thing I personify in my town and my human characters, as I believe the villagers are already good as they are!

Just my current villagers. The bears are adults and the cubs are kids.

Paula: She's the Carole Baskin. A weird hippie with a short temper who runs a vegan cafe and small daycare above it on HHP.

Grizzly:
He's one of those guys who chop logs and stuff in the woods and grows his own produce for his HHP retaurant. Completely self-sufficient.

Maple:
Grizzly's daughter. Smart and quietly confident tomboy. Voted Head Girl at school.

Curt:
The local thug, involved in organised crime. Runs a dodgy car repair shop.

Olive:
Curt's daughter and Poncho's sister. Nice kid. Worries about her dad.

Poncho: Curt's son and Olive's brother. The school Chad. Assists his dad in his criminal activities sometimes.

Marty:
A little kid who is often stuck at home alone with only his toys for company. He's content to do this, due to having an active imagination. Has an imaginary friend who is quite philosophical.

Beardo:
The local creep. Supposedly a self-employed Private Investigator, but this mostly seems to involve shouting at people on the internet over nothing and lurking around like a creep.

Bluebear:
Beardo's daughter. Is mostly ignored by her dad. Hyper but innocent. Tends to be a little oversensitive. Misunderstood by Beardo who often declares he believes there is something wrong with her, taking her to the doctor unnecessarily and often.

Judy:
A horrible B R A T who looks down her nose at the other cubs, delusionally believing herself to be much better than everyone else. Has a clique, but isn't well-liked outside of it, which she never seems to pick up on.

i came up with some lore for my villagers but really, i just use what the game provided me whether that's from conversations i've had with them, seeing them outside, how they act indoors, and who i see them hanging out with the most often.

i do also take into account their personality and goal (if it's available on the wiki)

First off, I love this idea! However... I refused to read any of your personifications because I worry that your story will interfere with, or sway my thoughts on a particular villager. I wish I could read them, but I need my own background stories that aren't influenced by someone else's.

First off, I love this idea! However... I refused to read any of your personifications because I worry that your story will interfere with, or sway my thoughts on a particular villager. I wish I could read them, but I need my own background stories that aren't influenced by someone else's.
All you really need to know ever is
Judy = BRAT
Beardo = CREEP
and you can never unsee this now :LOL:

I personify them by remodelling their houses to make sure they're actually liveable houses. Kitchen, sink, toilet, something to bathe in, bed, stereo, TV.

Randomly remembered this thread existed, syo.
Piper's favourite song is Cute na Kanojo by Syudou (since I'm pretty sure Syudou's favourite animal is the java sparrow, which is the same bird Piper's design is based on).

Back